Author Topic: Jaylen Brown or Jamal Murray?  (Read 19401 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown or Jamal Murray?
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2016, 01:27:19 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Jaylen Brown.

He's got the tools to be a great all around player. Physical features, feel for the game, and he can get to the line, which could be an elite NBA skill.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2016, 01:52:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If the pick is in the 3 or 4 range your have to move it for a young star like Blake Griffin or Jimmy Butler. Anyone you take at 3 or 4 will be a project and probably at least a year or two away from being a solid contributor. Trade the pick and get a star that makes the team much better immediately, will still be a Celtic for years and make Boston a better looking destination for big time free agents.

If the pick is top two, take Simmons or Ingram.

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2016, 01:56:26 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
True, but neither has a complete game...since the Celtics need shooting, I opted for shooting.
You always take the BPA.  Silly to draft for need because needs change.

Yea that's why we have a glut at pg and no center ::)
Boston has 2 PG and a combo guard in Thomas, Rozier, and Smart only 2 of which were drafted.  The most recent draft pick is actually a PF i.e. Mickey.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2016, 02:02:20 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If the pick is in the 3 or 4 range your have to move it for a young star like Blake Griffin or Jimmy Butler. Anyone you take at 3 or 4 will be a project and probably at least a year or two away from being a solid contributor. Trade the pick and get a star that makes the team much better immediately, will still be a Celtic for years and make Boston a better looking destination for big time free agents.

If the pick is top two, take Simmons or Ingram.
I agree in general, but if Blake or Jimmy aren't available draft night then we will be forced to make the pick. I don't think Ainge will make a lopsided deal simply because he doesn't like who is in the 3-5 range. My first preference for the 3-5 range would be a trade but if one doesn't happen I'd be happy with Bender, Murray or Hield.

DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2016, 02:08:27 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
If we have 3, I think I'd go in order

Bender
Brown
Murray
Poeltl

I think that's a reasonable board for picks 3-4-5-6.

I know some folks might argue for Hield or Dunn to get inserted into that mix, but for me, I'd have both just outside that group.

People are down a bit too much on Poeltl, I think, due to one bad tournament game where he got into early foul trouble.   I've been reviewing his season lately and I feel re-affirmed that he's got all the tools to be a really, really excellent center in the NBA on both ends of the court.  We need two-way players.

Poeltl got 'out' everything 1-1 vs Sabonis
I don't know.  Sabonis did his homework on him and just was one step ahead on both ends.  A key reason Utah lost.

Like I said.  Some people read way too much into one game.

I like Sabonis a ton, but he didn't actually match up that much directly against Poeltl in that game.  Wiltjer was the Utah big often on Poeltl and Poeltl only played 24 minutes.  Poeltl picked up his second foul just 13 minutes into the game, with the game still close.   By the time he came back in after the half, it was a 44-29 blowout.

In college ball, with only a 5 foul limit, you can't afford to have your best player start the 2nd half with 3 fouls so that 2nd foul put him on the bench for a long, crucial stretch of the game.

Gonzaga blew out Utah, for sure.  But the one game doesn't really represent much of an accurate measuring stick on Poeltl.

So you would take poeltl with the 3rd pick?

No.  I would probably use a board roughly similar to what Moranis posted up above - which means I would consider taking him with the 5th or 6th pick.

Assuming Simmons & Ingram are gone, I would take Bender or Brown at #3.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2016, 02:31:10 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I'll take Jaylen.  Murray is a better scorer, shooter and more complete player. Waiting on another guard to develop who can't necessarily shoot it is questionable.  But love how Jaylen attacks the rim and can finish.  I think Murray is the better basketball player right now though.  They are really even for different reasons. Murray is getting the hype right now.   I'd be ok with either but hopefully we can do better. 

We have Marcus Smart. Murray is a better scorer and basketball player right now but we took smart because of upside.  Smart was not that efficient in college but has  a lot of upside.

Jaylen is similar except he just really attacks the rim.  I really like him.

I think Murray has more star potential. I think jaylen is quietly better for some reason.

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2016, 02:34:25 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Speaking of which I'd love Jaylen to slide this draft and Ainge to get up and get him. he is one of my favorite players this draft.  I hope we get him anyways.  Too much focus on shooting.  Why shoot when you can take it to the rim and score. He is big enough where he can play behind crowder and play the 2 and 3.  Would give us a jimmy butler type guy for much cheaper and keep our guards.

Isaiah, Bradley, Smart and Jaylen would be sick.  He'd be starting over Crowder in no time.  Instant offense and physical play.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 02:40:48 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2016, 01:08:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Speaking of which I'd love Jaylen to slide this draft and Ainge to get up and get him. he is one of my favorite players this draft.  I hope we get him anyways.  Too much focus on shooting.  Why shoot when you can take it to the rim and score. He is big enough where he can play behind crowder and play the 2 and 3.  Would give us a jimmy butler type guy for much cheaper and keep our guards.

Isaiah, Bradley, Smart and Jaylen would be sick.  He'd be starting over Crowder in no time.  Instant offense and physical play.

Jaylen Brown has world class explosiveness + has "man" strength already

Murray right now is the better basketball player.   But will he become a slight taller, thicker JJ Reddick or more like Devin Booker/Thompson

It's a tough call. 

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2016, 01:17:40 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

The thing is, Marcus was supposed to do that too. I think many (including me) have soured on the idea of guys who can't shoot. We straight up NEED shooters. There's no way around it.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2016, 01:28:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Murray.  I watch that kid play and I know he has a place in the NBA.

Brown looks great on undefended drives to the basket.  What else can he do?  How does he fit in a team system, especially in a league that places a huge value on shooting for anybody who doesn't handle the ball most of the time that they're on the floor?

I think unless a team thinks Brown can become a point guard or secondary playmaker a la Demar Derozan, he's going to be an inefficient bench scorer.  Or, more likely, he'll be a problematic starter taking up a lot of possessions like Tyreke Evans.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2016, 01:54:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2016, 02:10:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Speaking of which I'd love Jaylen to slide this draft and Ainge to get up and get him. he is one of my favorite players this draft.  I hope we get him anyways. Too much focus on shooting.  Why shoot when you can take it to the rim and score. He is big enough where he can play behind crowder and play the 2 and 3.  Would give us a jimmy butler type guy for much cheaper and keep our guards.

Shooting is one of the most important offensive aspects of the modern NBA and how to succeed in it. The best wings have to be able to drive to the basket and finish while navigating through uber athletic bigs. Straight line drives at people and finishing over them while having efficient scoring numbers doing it is a thing of the past. The best wings need to have a solid handle, be able to drive and have the ability to change direction, be able to finish, have at the very least a great mid range game and also be able to least give the threat of being able to knock down threes at an average rate.

Most of these traits Brown doesn't exhibit. Yes he is super athletic. Yes he has a decent handle. God can he finish.

But his shooting beyond 15 ft is pretty bad. There is going to need to be a massive amount of work done on his shot to make him be good enough to be anything more than just role player. He also is more of a straight line driver to the basket. Too many examples of players who are like that that never become much of anything in this league to list. Defense are too good and move too fast for players to be able to drive straight at the basket with success.

And he isn't the greatest creator of offense for others.

Brown has an unreal ceiling IF he can develop his game a massive amount. But his starting point for what he needs to develop is so low its hard for me to see him being able to do it.

Murray OTOH, has skills and abilities and is still a very good athlete by NBA standards.

When it comes to the guards at the top of the draft, for me it's:

Murray
Hield
Dunn
Brown.

I just feel Brown is the biggest risk of the four players.

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2016, 02:34:38 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Brown....  And it is not close

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2016, 03:03:14 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
We need scorers and shooters. Murray is both of these things. Brown won't ever be a good shooter. And I really like his athleticism, but if he can't shoot I don't think he's gonna be helpful.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2016, 04:32:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
We need scorers and shooters. Murray is both of these things. Brown won't ever be a good shooter. And I really like his athleticism, but if he can't shoot I don't think he's gonna be helpful.

dont' we also need rebounding and some more defense?  (you can never have enough)

Where will Murray play also?? Draft him 3-4 to come off the bench as the 6th man?

Brown is a better "fit" to fill in the missing gaps but Murray is a nice shooter

sigh, only if you could combine both players into one.   Then it would be a 3 way race for #1