Author Topic: Wanted: efficient scorers/shooters  (Read 3561 times)

Wanted: efficient scorers/shooters
« on: April 27, 2016, 07:25:16 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Our team D is fine.   Bazemore just took off offensively  (right move to not guard him as tight to the 3 pt line). What we needed was to counter on the offensive end.  Build some energy on the defensive end.

No counter punches

If we miss out on Simmons/Ingram ,  Murray or Brown will do. Plus trade up for the highly efficient Sabonis.   

Also hope someone like Durant sees that he is that one missing piece this team needs (if he decides to leave okc)

Re: Wanted: efficient scorers/shooters
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 07:33:42 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Agreed. It doesn't help that we've lost Bradley but an efficient wing/swing scorer is essential for this team to take another step.

Simmons is one of the few rookies I think will come in and be a good scorer from day 1. I also like your guy Sabonis, his energy would earn him rotation minutes I think. It would depend on who ends up being brought back though. Next year I see Mickey taking some minutes and Amir staying for sure, past that who knows what will happen.

I'm one that doesn't think Ingram will be a hit straight away. You draft him for what he can become in 5 years rather than now. As a rookie I think he'll struggle with the physicality of the league, he'll get worn down quickly. Brown is a player I like but he's not ready to be an efficient scorer. I think he'd mesh well with our team though, he could live off cuts in his first season.

FA is the best place for us to solve this problem though. Durant obviously being the crown piece but also guys like Beal, Barnes, Batum, even Bazemore.. All of them would help us take a step forward.

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 08:08:38 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Agreed. It doesn't help that we've lost Bradley but an efficient wing/swing scorer is essential for this team to take another step.

Simmons is one of the few rookies I think will come in and be a good scorer from day 1. I also like your guy Sabonis, his energy would earn him rotation minutes I think. It would depend on who ends up being brought back though. Next year I see Mickey taking some minutes and Amir staying for sure, past that who knows what will happen.

I'm one that doesn't think Ingram will be a hit straight away. You draft him for what he can become in 5 years rather than now. As a rookie I think he'll struggle with the physicality of the league, he'll get worn down quickly. Brown is a player I like but he's not ready to be an efficient scorer. I think he'd mesh well with our team though, he could live off cuts in his first season.

FA is the best place for us to solve this problem though. Durant obviously being the crown piece but also guys like Beal, Barnes, Batum, even Bazemore.. All of them would help us take a step forward.

Good pts. Ingram won't be ready

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 03:02:34 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I just want highly efficient players (offensive end) brought in next season

Can someone list efficient shooters/scorers from college ball?

Sabonis
Murray
?
?
?

High fg percentage and PER

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 04:06:21 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Poeltl was really efficient
Hield had an absurd TS%
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 06:31:01 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

Sabonis
Murray
?
?
?

In no order: Poeltl, Simmons, Valentine, Hield, Rabb, Hammons, Brice johnson. In europe, Korkmaz and Bender.

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 06:55:13 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Sabonis
Murray
?
?
?

Sabonis can't spread the floor. We need guys to spread the floor in order to create spacing. The lack of spacing killed us offensively.

Guys at the swing spots that are good shooters (to varying degrees):

Ingram
Valentine
Uthoff
Luwawu (said to be a solid shooter)
Prince
Murray
Hield
Korkmaz
Beasley
Levert
Hart

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 07:03:22 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
I would also add that Uthoff is a very interesting player. At first glance you think he's a defensive liability, but then you look closer and realize he not only shot 38.2% from 3's at a high volume (5.2 attempts per game), but combines that shooting with good height (6-9) and outstanding defensive numbers (2.6 bpg and 1.0 spg), while only committing 1.5 fouls per game, which tells me he's very sound defensively.

Then I look at his ESPN scouting report and it's very positive and screams solid 3 and D role player:

Hollinger PER- 28.17
Projection- Late First Round Pick

Positives
Athletic forward
Excellent defender and shot-blocker
Good rebounder
Good shooter with 3-point range

Negatives
Inconsistent
Needs to add strength

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 07:14:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Sabonis
Murray
?
?
?

Sabonis can't spread the floor. We need guys to spread the floor in order to create spacing. The lack of spacing killed us offensively.

Ingram
Valentine
Uthoff
Prince
Murray
Hield
Korkmaz
Beasley
Levert
Hart

not necessarily

why does every big need to be a sharpshooter theses days??

look at Toronto and portland bigs for reference. their teams are operating fine

we might of needed to "space" bc we lack a good front court player

If you get that player you can adjust your strategy

Sabonis  i predict will score well around the post.  Not as dominating as he was in college but still, at a decent rate. After he makes a few he can have options to pass it out to shooters

When he sits , you can space it out with KO out there.  Teams will have a tough time defending two type of offensive sets.  And also if we are stuck one way, could resort to another

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 07:20:40 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Sabonis
Murray
?
?
?

Ingram
Valentine
Uthoff
Prince
Murray
Hield
Korkmaz
Beasley
Levert
Hart

not necessarily

look at Toronto and portland bigs for reference

Ok, so looking at Portland they have Aminu at the 4 (36% from 3) and Leonard (37% from 3) and Toronto has Scola (40% from 3) and Patterson (36% from 3) so you basically established my point.

I know you don't like to hear it because Sabonis is your Mickey of the 2016 draft, but he's not a good defender and lacks range. We need guys that can spread the floor, plain and simple.

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 07:48:10 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Sabonis
Murray
?
?
?

Ingram
Valentine
Uthoff
Prince
Murray
Hield
Korkmaz
Beasley
Levert
Hart

not necessarily

Ok, so looking at Portland they have Aminu at the 4 (36% from 3) and Leonard (37% from 3) and Toronto has Scola (40% from 3) and Patterson (36% from 3) so you basically established my point.

I know you don't like to hear it because Sabonis is your Mickey of the 2016 draft, but he's not a good defender and lacks range. We need guys that can spread the floor, plain and simple.

Eddie I got to disagree with you on the shooting bigs for these teams. Plumlee and Ed Davis play a lot of minutes for them (about 45 combined). Leonard has not played in a month and was already losing minutes before he was hurt. Aminu is definitely more of a small forward than power forward and Harkless is their other forward who does not shoot the 3 well. The raptors are probably at the end of their rope with Scola because his defense is so bad he is unplayable. Jonas and James Johnson  and Byombo all really can not shoot 3's at all. They certainly are two teams that don't get a ton of 3's out of the 4 and 5 spot which is fine.

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 08:04:12 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Sabonis
Murray
?
?
?

Ingram
Valentine
Uthoff
Prince
Murray
Hield
Korkmaz
Beasley
Levert
Hart

not necessarily

Eddie I got to disagree with you on the shooting bigs for these teams. Plumlee and Ed Davis play a lot of minutes for them (about 45 combined). Leonard has not played in a month and was already losing minutes before he was hurt. Aminu is definitely more of a small forward than power forward and Harkless is their other forward who does not shoot the 3 well. The raptors are probably at the end of their rope with Scola because his defense is so bad he is unplayable. Jonas and James Johnson  and Byombo all really can not shoot 3's at all. They certainly are two teams that don't get a ton of 3's out of the 4 and 5 spot which is fine.

Aminu and Harkless have been the starting forwards for Portland. Davis and Plumlee don't play together much if at all. Ditto for Jonas and Bismack. That allows the floor to be spread better. Not only that, but Portland has some really good shooters in Lillard, CJ, Crabbe, etc. as does Toronto in Lowry, Joseph, Carroll, etc. I don't have an issue with having a non-shooter at one of your big spots, that's perfectly normal. However, in today's NBA you're really behind the 8 ball when you have 2 non-shooters at the 4/5. If so, you need to have some really excellent shooing at the 1-3 spots to create adequate spacing. I wouldn't have an issue with Sabonis whatsoever if we had a different makeup and that roster makeup very much could change, but until we land some deadeye shooters, like a Durant in free agency or Hield through the draft, then Sabonis' skillset (inside scoring at the college level) will not manifest into much.

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 08:36:23 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
If Bradley is traded and then we don't draft Hield or Murray, in that case
I hope we draft Malik Beasley at 16 or 23. Better back up SG prospect that Young
or Hunter.  And can probably start way down the road..

He's efficient.

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 08:43:15 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Amir, Olynyk and Bradley were basically our most efficient scorers this year.  Bradley was the most efficient shooter/scorer in the starting lineup.  Which is funny, because a lot of people seem to think we're going to dump Bradley as part of a large package for an upgrade like Jimmy BUtler.  But if you remove Bradley from the equation to add someone better, you're taking a loss in the process.  Hopefully the gap in talent is big enough that it makes a substantial difference. 

We also could benefit greatly from having a decent interior scorer.  Sullinger was pretty terrible this season.  Amir was efficient, but he's not someone you can really rely on for points.  Kelly has been inconsistent.   I know the league is going small, but there's still room for an efficient interior player who can draw attention away from the shooters.   As said in the other thread, it's not a total coincidence that Jimmy Butler's efficiency skyrocketed with the addition of a hall-of-fame big man (Pau Gasol) playing at an all-star level. 

During the playoffs we relied heavily on contested jumpers.  It was hard for us to consistently attack the basket.  It would be interesting to see how our shooters would benefit from having a capable big man.  It's one of the reasons I was supportive of Ainge's attempts to land Okafor.   

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2016, 08:43:34 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I know you don't like to hear it because Sabonis is your Mickey of the 2016 draft, but he's not a good defender and lacks range. We need guys that can spread the floor, plain and simple

You are misinformed bc Sabonis is anything but a weak overall defender. He is very underrated out to the perimeter. I suggest you watch the draft express scouting report on him and see for yourself. Or better yet get a hold of a couple of MM tourney games and see.   Guys were not blasting past him or pgs weren't either during pnr or switches

Also he can shoot.    74 percent at the ft line means exactly this.   If the system he plays in, needs him to post up/play inside exclusively and he doesn't get a chance to shoot the mid range , that is his fault??   If he can't shoot it  , so they have him play inside . that's a diff story. Again watch the draft express scouting video.