Author Topic: How long of a commute is too much?  (Read 6597 times)

How long of a commute is too much?
« on: April 26, 2016, 08:19:03 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Got a job offer yesterday in Devens, $8 more an hour, Monday through Friday 8 to 4 compared to my current 1st and 2nd shift Tuesday though Saturday schedule, natural progression on my career path, fully office based so I would finally get off the forklifts. Essentially my dream job.

Only problem is that its in Devens and I live in Dorchester. Commute would be about 1 hour 22 - 1 hour 37 traffic depending. It's not unthinkable but it's definitely intimidating. Have any of you dealt with huge commutes? How long is too long for the daily grind?

Thanks in advance.

Re: How long of a commute is too much?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 08:43:11 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'm in a similar situation

my current commute is a little over an hour each way working in Boston.  --> driving to the closest commuter rail and taking that in to work.  fortunately, my company is right across from the commuter rail station.  Unfortunately, my company is moving before the end of the year to Charlestown which will add 25 minutes each way to my commute with 2 more connections -- subway and shuttle bus to the subway station -- which adds 2 more opportunities to miss my train back home. 

I get the dilemna.  is the new job stable enough to justify moving closer to Devens and are you in a position to be able to move? 

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 08:49:16 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1772
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Take the job if you feel it is your dream job.

I lived in Cambridge and worked in Dover, NH for five years (I have now lived in Florida for seven). It was approximately 75 miles away and the evening commute always took about 15 minutes longer than in the morning. I am from NH so I didn't want to move back and I also didn't have family at home to worry about.

If you are entrenched in Dorchester, you can make it work; if there is any way you can transition even a half-hour closer to your job at some point, then all the easier. If it just doesn't work out, well, you can always go back to doing what you are doing now. It's important to take chances in life and you would probably regret passing this one up.

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 08:52:17 AM »

Offline celtics247

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 4
That is a substantial pay raise.  It really depends on your family situation and how much you enjoy being in the car.  When I was younger I did an hour plus commute and I didn't mind as I was just going out after work with co-workers anyways.  I now have children and their activities and the opportunity cost is much higher to be spending 2 hours on the road.  How much do you enjoy driving (my opinion is that driving at highway speed is much less stressful than sitting in stop and go and I think you would be going in the less traffic direction)?  Are their alternatives (train, carpool, etc.)?  Is relocation possible or do you own a house? Does your new job offer the option of working from home after a period of time?  Tolls?  Wear and tear on the car?

I think we adjust to whatever is necessary, you will be getting up early but still getting home before 6 so not bad in the grand scheme and for substantially more $$'s.  I live near the RI border and my office is 5 minutes away, though I do make the trip up to Waltham once a week.  I can't imagine doing that trek 5 days a week at rush hour but that is my current situation and I would probably adjust to it for career advancement and more $$'s.

Hope that helps

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 09:17:28 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell

my current commute is a little over an hour each way working in Boston.  --> driving to the closest commuter rail and taking that in to work.  fortunately, my company is right across from the commuter rail station.  Unfortunately, my company is moving before the end of the year to Charlestown which will add 25 minutes each way to my commute with 2 more connections -- subway and shuttle bus to the subway station -- which adds 2 more opportunities to miss my train back home. 

I get the dilemna.  is the new job stable enough to justify moving closer to Devens and are you in a position to be able to move?

It would be stable enough but I just signed an 18 month last January. Moving out could be an option down the road.

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 09:21:04 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
That is a substantial pay raise.  It really depends on your family situation and how much you enjoy being in the car.  When I was younger I did an hour plus commute and I didn't mind as I was just going out after work with co-workers anyways.  I now have children and their activities and the opportunity cost is much higher to be spending 2 hours on the road.  How much do you enjoy driving (my opinion is that driving at highway speed is much less stressful than sitting in stop and go and I think you would be going in the less traffic direction)?  Are their alternatives (train, carpool, etc.)?  Is relocation possible or do you own a house? Does your new job offer the option of working from home after a period of time?  Tolls?  Wear and tear on the car?

I think we adjust to whatever is necessary, you will be getting up early but still getting home before 6 so not bad in the grand scheme and for substantially more $$'s.  I live near the RI border and my office is 5 minutes away, though I do make the trip up to Waltham once a week.  I can't imagine doing that trek 5 days a week at rush hour but that is my current situation and I would probably adjust to it for career advancement and more $$'s.

Hope that helps

It does, you basically outlined all the factors that flying around my head right now. TP! I'm single, young an enjoy driving, I think I'd need to get a bigger car though. I'm 6'2 and the Civic can feel like a sardine can after a while.

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 09:26:16 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Going from walking to work to a 35 to 45 minutes was rough when my wife and I bought our house.

An hour plus would be more than I'd do, just so much of your day gone....

(I live in a city where an hour commute would be the absolute maximum)

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 09:32:40 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Commutes, especially with heavy traffic, are psychologically brutal; studies consistently show they have a massive drag on happiness, quality of life, and overall well-being.  3 hours in a car every workday will add up QUICK.

However, this seems like a big job opportunity in the short term and a career boost in the long term.  I'd say suck it up and deal with it for a year til you can move closer, especially if you're a younger guy.  Maybe try to get a girlfriend who lives closer to your work if that's an option  ;)  It's going to be rough though.  Think of ways to make the commute more tolerable for yourself and be ready to move closer ASAP.  Good luck!

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 09:32:45 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

It would be stable enough but I just signed an 18 month last January. Moving out could be an option down the road.
Take the job. Figure out the housing situation later. Especially if you're single and young.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 09:40:33 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
1hr, 22mins for 8 bucks an hr?  Are you crazy?  Lol.  No, bro. I'm not telling you what to do but that should be a no no.  Any commute beyond 40mins is too much.  If it's 50mins to an hr, then it better be for some decent pay.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 09:43:54 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4595

Leases aren't that hard to break.

If the lease is with an established management company, it might be something as simple as giving 60 days notice and forfeit your security deposit or pay a small fee.  Put in the notice now, you can be out by the end of June and only have to pay <$1000, which is peanuts considering you just got about a $17k raise.  It's an amount I'd gladly pay to get an additional 10 hours of free time a week (plus think of the gas and car maintenance savings).

If it's with some regular Joe Schmo who moonlights as a landlord, he might just let you out of the lease if you tell him what happened or as soon as he can find a replacement (which might be quick especially since a lot of people move this time of year).

Don't assume you can't get out of your lease.  They're often fairly easy to get out of.  Check what your lease says about early termination or just ask about it.  Landlords understand life happens.

Bam, problem solved.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 09:59:52 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 09:45:31 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
1hr, 22mins for 8 bucks an hr?  Are you crazy?  Lol.  No, bro. I'm not telling you what to do but that should be a no no.  Any commute beyond 40mins is too much.  If it's 50mins to an hr, then it better be for some decent pay.
For $8 extra an hour (the minimum wage in MA is $11 these days anyhow ;)).

Also, I've got no idea where he lives in Dorchester, but that commute is against morning traffic and could be closer to 1hr.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 09:51:05 AM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 09:53:52 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Some people manage a commute of an hour or more just fine, but I think that even if you feel prepared for that initially, you'll get burnt out pretty quickly.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 09:56:26 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104

Hope that helps

It does, you basically outlined all the factors that flying around my head right now. TP! I'm single, young an enjoy driving, I think I'd need to get a bigger car though. I'm 6'2 and the Civic can feel like a sardine can after a while.

The family situation was my first question.  Since you don't have kids it's certainly doable.  I'll say though that it's a long commute either way but being on a train for that time would be so much better.  I don't think I could handle being in a car that many hours of the day in stop and go traffic. 

I'm not sure about the distance but one thing I found when I had to commute by car in rush hour was that leaving just a little bit early makes all the difference with traffic.  Everyone gets on the road about the same time.  Get ahead of it.  If you're a morning person I'd try something like getting a gym membership near your office.  Go in early ahead of rush hour, work out and then go to the office.  If that's not your thing grab breakfast or something.

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 09:57:55 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Some people manage a commute of an hour or more just fine, but I think that even if you feel prepared for that initially, you'll get burnt out pretty quickly.
I had a colleague in Cambridge who drove in from Providence every morning. Had to get up in some ungodly hour (perhaps 5am?) to avoid traffic, but it seemed to work for him.

My point is, finding your dream job is harder than finding accommodation. A young single man will probably move around anyhow, so it seems shortsighted to refuse a job offer just because the current rental(!) isn't ideal.