Author Topic: How do you feel about signing Luol Deng?  (Read 3378 times)

Re: How do you feel about signing Luol Deng?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 08:43:52 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Zero interest!

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 09:08:02 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
His injury history is too much. Plus, he's getting up there in age.  Maybe sign him for a vet minimum and role as 8-10th player. But, he's probably commanding $8MM/yr. or more. Way out of line.   

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2016, 02:21:04 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Not that I'm trying to bump my own thread, but I just read this piece from Real GM on Luol Deng's value to the current NBA is.

(Full disclosure, this article is about gauging if Deng is a more valuable free agent than DeMar Derozan, but it does describe as to why I think he'll be a good signing for us.)

http://basketball.realgm.com/article/241862/Is-Luol-Deng-A-More-Valuable-Free-Agent-Than-DeMar-DeRozan

Some tidbits on the article.

In his 12th season, with another summer of free agency approaching, Deng has emerged as a near prototype for the small ball power forward.

Obviously Deng can shoot, which opens things up for Miami’s offense and spreads the floor for the crafty drives of Dwyane Wade and Goran Dragic. He forces slower big men to come out to defend him at the wing, and he’s still fast enough to blow right by them.

Deng can play the role because of his defensive versatility. The number of post forwards in the NBA who Deng can’t reasonably defend with some success is a short list

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2016, 02:35:34 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
His injury history is too much. Plus, he's getting up there in age.  Maybe sign him for a vet minimum and role as 8-10th player. But, he's probably commanding $8MM/yr. or more. Way out of line.

8 million a year is absolutely not too much for Deng on a 1-2 year deal with the new cap. I think saying he's an end of the bench, vet min guy is a little absurd at this point. And the injuries are overstated, he's played 72 or more games the last two years and has been very effective. Plus he just turned 31, and he can be effective without outstanding athleticism.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2016, 03:58:14 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

8 million a year is absolutely not too much for Deng on a 1-2 year deal with the new cap. I think saying he's an end of the bench, vet min guy is a little absurd at this point. And the injuries are overstated, he's played 72 or more games the last two years and has been very effective. Plus he just turned 31, and he can be effective without outstanding athleticism.

I think at $10-$12 million for two years is still reasonable.

He's still pretty effective, and is someone who would upgrade our PF position AND would fit in where the current NBA is going to.

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2016, 04:26:02 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
He's not getting any less than $13 million on the market.

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2016, 04:42:11 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Isn't this another treadmill move?  Why do we want stop gap guys????????

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2016, 05:15:06 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
He's not getting any less than $13 million on the market.

That is basically Amir Johnson money.  So would you trade Amir for Luol?  I know Deng is a FA but I think that is what it would boil down to.  I think we have a greater need for Amir (or Amir type player) than Luol Deng.  We need front court size, not more small ball "bigs".

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2016, 05:42:56 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
yeah we need another player like this.... ::)

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2016, 05:48:01 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'm more interested in adding a player who is a better three-point shooter than Deng.  I could see him being a back-up combo forward geting 25 minutes per game behind Jerebko and Crowder.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2016, 07:47:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
He could really help the Celts. As long as it's a short term deal, I'm all for it.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2016, 07:49:09 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
As a small ball PF he's worth a look. But I worry about him holding up there given his injuries lately.

That's the idea, sign him as a PF.

He looked healthy of late, in fact, he's tearing it up in the Playoffs so far at the 4 spot. He would certainly be a better 4than anyone we have right now.

Also, at 6'9", I think there's enough size there to be a legit PF regardless of style of play.

He left yesterday's game with an injury, receiving MRI today. I believe he also missed games at the end of last season, and the previous season with the bulls in the playoffs. He seems to play in a decent amount of games but just seems like one of those guys that gets banged up more than others over the course of a season. 

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2016, 08:26:08 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
As a small ball PF he's worth a look. But I worry about him holding up there given his injuries lately.

That's the idea, sign him as a PF.

He looked healthy of late, in fact, he's tearing it up in the Playoffs so far at the 4 spot. He would certainly be a better 4than anyone we have right now.

Also, at 6'9", I think there's enough size there to be a legit PF regardless of style of play.

He left yesterday's game with an injury, receiving MRI today. I believe he also missed games at the end of last season, and the previous season with the bulls in the playoffs. He seems to play in a decent amount of games but just seems like one of those guys that gets banged up more than others over the course of a season.

Played 72 games 2 seasons ago, 74 this season. He just bruised his wrist yesterday, nothing ultra concerning, and that's after playing 12 straight playoff games averaging 35 minutes a game.

I think he's going to hold up just fine. Apart from missing about 10 games, that looks like two healthy seasons to me.