Author Topic: Acquiring A Post Scorer  (Read 6610 times)

Re: Acquiring A Post Scorer
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2016, 03:51:22 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
A few thoughts...

Monroe is trash. His D is terrible, so bad he doesn't even bother running back to play it. Makes guys like Zeller have great games, and is pretty much the reason the Bucks sucked this year. I wanted him over the summer and I was bummed out that we didn't get him. Now I wonder if Ainge even made him an offer or not.

I would be interested in DMC, Howard and Love. Not sure if we can get them though.

If I were to put money on it, I'd bet Ainge brings someone in that I
m not too familiar with and that person more of less works out. I just don't see a lot of good options out there. But at the ned of the day(or summer in this case) we just need to be markedly better. Upgrade Sully and keep Amir is ok.

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2016, 06:50:23 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I agree there are a lot of overrated players in the nba.  As far as skilled offensive bigs Love is the best imo. But your reasoning is why we are better off just playing with what we have and guys who play D and play hard unless we can land one of these guys vs some of these overrated stars in the league.

DMC is supremely talented but even he has flaws to his game right now. The NBA is really bad like that right now. Players don't understand the game at all.

Post scorers are really limited that way. Skilled players are limited that way.

Okafor has some upside that way. Vucevic, etc. But Love is the best right now. Valenciunis is ok.  Aldridge isnt going anywhere.  That's about where the list ends.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 07:12:37 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2016, 07:23:46 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think it is more likely we get bigs who can score but by spreading the floor, given CBS system and the new NBA trend of small ball.  It would be nice to have to exploit matchups for sure.   

But I think every guy ought to be able to post up.   It is a skill and the NBA plays one on one.   DJ used to be good at post ups and he was a guard.  But it is more isolation ball which has fell out of favor league wide.

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2016, 07:31:19 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Amir himself is a castoff from Toronto because they had Valenciunis.  There aren't many bigs in the nba who can play at that playoff caliber level.  Jerebko was the same thing in Detroit.  Ainge targetted these guys that way I'm guessing. We have those guys and there is no point unless we can get someone really good. Crowder was basically the same thing.

We have those underrated guys I guess is what I'm saying.  Sully and KO are the same thing and players who slid because of various reasons.

I think Ainge looked at guys like Tobias Harris but we already had Crowder and they wanted Crowder for him.

Harris isnt really a post player but it's the same thing in ways.  There are probably a handful of big men if that that are worth it.

Kevin love is the best of the bunch.  Why Ainge has been targetting him the past several offseasons.

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2016, 02:17:27 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Yeah, I think Ainge will go after Love again. Like with KG, it was no secret we wanted him for years. The deal that makes sense in the 3 way with Melo going to CLE- assuming that LBJ would much rather have Melo than Love which may not be true.

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2016, 12:43:12 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Why not go for WCS? Not quite a post big man but he is a rim protecting center who can switch on d, set a mean screen and finish with authority at the basket. This I feel is more useful to the Celtics.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2016, 12:47:40 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Why not go for WCS? Not quite a post big man but he is a rim protecting center who can switch on d, set a mean screen and finish with authority at the basket. This I feel is more useful to the Celtics.
Would you trade AB for WCS? Kind of think Kings want a guy who can start and help them right away if they deal WCS.

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2016, 12:51:00 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I am not a huge Bradley fan - his shot selection is atrocious - but I have zero interest in trading him to add yet another offensively-impaired player, which is exactly what Cauley-Stein is.

We need shooters, not more people who are going to go 3-11 every night, whether that's Ben Simmons or Wille Cauley-Stein.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2016, 01:10:12 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Monroe is trash. His D is terrible, so bad he doesn't even bother running back to play it. Makes guys like Zeller have great games, and is pretty much the reason the Bucks sucked this year.

Monroe was actually tied for 2nd on the Bucks in Defensive Rating, and in the top 5 for their team in Defensive Box Score Plus Minus.  RPM has him as a positive on that end, as well.

I think the Bucks being bad had a lot more to do with their terrible spacing and the fact that they were trying to play a poor second year defender at PF (Jabari) alongside Monroe. 

Monroe is a center who needs a team defense setup that allows him to stay home on his man in the paint, not try to play mobile help defense to cover up the weaknesses of his teammates.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2016, 01:28:06 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Interesting suggestion. On the face of it, a traditional post scorer is the opposite of what Stevens and the entire modern NBA is trying to do. But sometimes when everyone zigs, you zag.

I don't have a great sense of how a post-up big would fit in Stevens' offense, but you're probably right that Stevens would make it work. Obviously a guy like Love is an easier fit. If you have a chance to get Monroe for a reasonable price, maybe you go for it. Or maybe you just bring back Sully.

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2016, 01:29:15 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I just thought of this.

Dwight Howard.

Sign me up. I get all the crazy stuff, but think about it...

- He'll be happy here because there's no James Harden that will hog the ball.
- He'll get his shots.
- He'll be, in a way, the man.
- He'll upgrade our Center spot tremendously.
- He's still going to be playing in a big market.

Now, I might balk if it's for the max. But if we can convince him to take less, why not?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2016, 01:37:39 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
I just thought of this.

Dwight Howard.

- He'll get his shots.

Now, I might balk if it's for the max. But if we can convince him to take less, why not?

Here's the thing, I would agree if we were talking Orlando Dwight Howard. But he's not that player anymore. He's lost a few steps over the years and clearly has major attitude problems. This isn't somebody I trust or want as the face of the franchise. His talent simply isn't worth the investment and risk like it is with Cousins. Also his post game is extremely overrated (basically nonexistent). He has a non-effective hook over the same shoulder every time. Even McHale and Olajuwon couldn't give this guy a post game. Just say no to Howard.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2016, 01:44:29 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I have the perfect comparison for Jimmy Butler that is better than 'Toine or even Ricky Davis: Rajon Rondo.

It makes too much sense based on comments I've been hearing from some Celtics fans. Now, all we need is BballJim to come on and defend Butler.

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2016, 01:49:38 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I just thought of this.

Dwight Howard.

- He'll get his shots.

Here's the thing, I would agree if we were talking Orlando Dwight Howard. But he's not that player anymore. He's lost a few steps over the years and clearly has major attitude problems. This isn't somebody I trust or want as the face of the franchise. His talent simply isn't worth the investment and risk like it is with Cousins. Also his post game is extremely overrated (basically nonexistent). He has a non-effective hook over the same shoulder every time. Even McHale and Olajuwon couldn't give this guy a post game. Just say no to Howard.

I agree, he's not Orlando Dwight.

But averaging 13 - 11 on what is a bad season, I think he still has something left. Dude took 8 shots per game, he'll get more with Boston and could easily be an 18-12 guy.  Not to mention he'll upgrade our defense and rebounding.

Portland is heavily considering him. A well run team like Portland can still see value despite the risk. There's something there, and he's available.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2016, 02:32:11 PM »

Offline TheSlipperyWhistle

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
Dwight Howard -- Here's the Rub

I want him... but only if the following holds true...

1. We get a superstar (Think Durant)
2. We get an ancillary star (Think Love)
3. We do not sign him to the max (we probably wont be able to.... see rules 1 and 2)