Author Topic: Acquiring A Post Scorer  (Read 6612 times)

Acquiring A Post Scorer
« on: April 25, 2016, 02:00:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Here's a list of guys who will be available in free agency or who seem likely to be available via trade this summer, depending on how the playoffs unfold:

- Pau Gasol

- Greg Monroe

- Jahlil Okafor

- Jonas Valanciunas

- Nikola Vucevic

... and then of course there's Cousins, who might be available (I'm still skeptical).  Brook Lopez is probably available, too, though I don't think he'd really work here.

It's kind of a long list, considering the quality of players listed.  I almost want to say it looks like a market inefficiency -- and you know Danny Ainge is super keen on finding those.

Maybe the Celts offense will finally have an anchor down low after this summer.  I know that centers like the above are out-of-style these days.  Many on these forums are openly hostile to the notion of having a center who doesn't conform to the Tyson Chandler archetype.

I trust Stevens to incorporate any of the above to this roster in a way that makes the offense more balanced without totally undermining the defense. 

The good news is the Celts already have a guy in Amir Johnson who could help cover up many of the defensive deficiencies of this type of player.  Jordan Mickey might be able to do that to some extent as well.

Adding an interior dimension to this team would go a long way to making them a lot tougher to defend.  That's not to say it would be easy or seamless.  But it could be worth it.

Do you see it happening?  Do any of the above names excite you?  Disgust you?  Do you think the post-up is dead and there is no way to win playoff games with a scoring center in today's NBA?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Acquiring A Post Scorer
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 02:07:41 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
- Greg Monroe

- Jahlil Okafor

- Jonas Valanciunas

- Nikola Vucevic

These all appeal. As I keep saying in Okafor threads, Boston can probably hide these guys on defense more than any other team – though the Thunder do a pretty good job with Kanter. I'd take any of them.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 02:23:52 PM by The Rondo Show »
DKC Suns

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 02:16:55 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
It will be Kevin Love.  No doubt in my mind.   He will be a Celtic next year, guaranteed.

Ainge always gets his man.  Love has been his man and main target since the pre-Cavs days. I don't care where the Nets pick lands, it will be used to acquire Love.  The better the pick, the less Ainge will have to give.

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 02:19:48 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
- Greg Monroe

- Jahlil Okafor

- Jonas Valanciunas

- Nikola Vucevic

These all appeal. As I keep saying in Okafor threads, Boston can probably hide these on defense guys more than any other team – though the Thunder do a pretty good job with Kanter. I'd take any of them.

I like Monroe a lot, always have.  Okafor excites me, but we don't know how different he'd look on a real team with a good coach.

Vucevic would worry me because he doesn't get to the line as much as you'd expect for a guy with his size and usage.  But he's a really productive young center who doesn't get a lot of attention despite how productive he is.

Valanciunas seems like he could be better on a different team.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 02:20:53 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
It will be Kevin Love.  No doubt in my mind.   He will be a Celtic next year, guaranteed.

Ainge always gets his man.  Love has been his man and main target since the pre-Cavs days. I don't care where the Nets pick lands, it will be used to acquire Love.  The better the pick, the less Ainge will have to give.

that may be so. Danny wanted IT4 for a while and even courted him during FA, then he went to the Suns and we got him for cheap

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 02:24:14 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

that may be so. Danny wanted IT4 for a while and even courted him during FA, then he went to the Suns and we got him for cheap

Yep.  Same situation with Love.  It will obviously take more to get Love of course.

I also believe he picks up Amir's team option at the end of the season.  It's a high number at 12 M, and a lot on here won't like it, but Ainge won't mess around there.

The starting front court next season will be Amir at the 5, and Love at the 4.

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 02:27:50 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
I want Okafor and would probably trade all/most of our picks to acquire him because he would create that significant of a difference. He's shown an outside stroke, he got better at free throws, he has a post game, he has the length, and the touch. He just needs a team like the Celtics to have a good system around him to be more productive on switches and interior defense. I mean all he needs to do is be about as productive as Sully who just uses his mass to hold his ground. Okafor has that so I think he will be fine. Off-Court problems are an exaggeration of a terrible 76ers environment. He is going to be a Cousins type player in his prime so we should bite now. The Okafor trade is perfect for both parties too because we can send them prospects and they can actually value the pick because they can grab a guard like Dunn or take a SF like Brown and develop them whereas we wouldn't have the time/needs to really take either of those players. Those players are also pretty solid fits too.

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 02:29:27 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I like Monroe and Okafor.

But...can the scheme hide their defensive deficiencies?  That's a concern.

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 02:30:30 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Why not Brook Lopez?

The Nets maybe on the rebuilding process themselves, and I think they won't mind getting their picks back.

Brook Lopez is an excellent post scorer, and he has shown that the foot is good and healthy.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 02:36:29 PM by Yoki_IsTheName »
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 02:33:51 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Here's a list of guys who will be available in free agency or who seem likely to be available via trade this summer, depending on how the playoffs unfold:

- Pau Gasol

- Greg Monroe

- Jahlil Okafor

- Jonas Valanciunas

- Nikola Vucevic

... and then of course there's Cousins, who might be available (I'm still skeptical).  Brook Lopez is probably available, too, though I don't think he'd really work here.

It's kind of a long list, considering the quality of players listed.  I almost want to say it looks like a market inefficiency -- and you know Danny Ainge is super keen on finding those.

Maybe the Celts offense will finally have an anchor down low after this summer.  I know that centers like the above are out-of-style these days.  Many on these forums are openly hostile to the notion of having a center who doesn't conform to the Tyson Chandler archetype.

I trust Stevens to incorporate any of the above to this roster in a way that makes the offense more balanced without totally undermining the defense. 

The good news is the Celts already have a guy in Amir Johnson who could help cover up many of the defensive deficiencies of this type of player.  Jordan Mickey might be able to do that to some extent as well.

Adding an interior dimension to this team would go a long way to making them a lot tougher to defend.  That's not to say it would be easy or seamless.  But it could be worth it.

Do you see it happening?  Do any of the above names excite you?  Disgust you?  Do you think the post-up is dead and there is no way to win playoff games with a scoring center in today's NBA?

will this guy do?  Just use one of our draft pick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBrwMKfVqhs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfUc0GpcGEk

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 02:34:10 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Favors

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 02:35:48 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Yep.  Same situation with Love.  It will obviously take more to get Love of course.

I also believe he picks up Amir's team option at the end of the season.  It's a high number at 12 M, and a lot on here won't like it, but Ainge won't mess around there.

The starting front court next season will be Amir at the 5, and Love at the 4.

I agree again! While Sully may have more trade value than Amir in my opinion, but Sully has completely disappeared in this series, at this point I am willing to keep Amir and trade Sully or let him walk

Maybe it is as you said, if we can get Love next season, Sully and a first rounder and maybe more fillers for Love. Sully goes back home to Ohio

I do not know how far we will go, but a lineup of

IT/Smart/Rozier
Bradley/Turner
Crowder/Jerebko
Love/KO (if KO doesn't get used as a trade to CLE, this lineup is actually kinda funny or awkward)
Amir

is pretty entertaining.

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 02:53:59 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I know Dwight Howard is not popular on CB, but he will be a free agent, and should be considered.
It will be great to get a guy without trading any key players or picks. 

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 02:55:58 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I feel like none of those guys is a good fit.  If you want a post scorer, I think it makes more sense to find someone who can do that off the bench rather than devoting starter money and minutes to a post scorer, unless he is also a defender or a perimeter scorer.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 02:58:26 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Marc Gasol or Okafor are probably the most attainable .