Author Topic: Trading for Jahlil Okafor  (Read 14957 times)

Re: Trading for Jahlil Okafor
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2016, 06:10:45 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
What I don't understand is why people look at what he did in Philly and assume it has anything to do with what he'd look like on a decent well-coached team.

I have always thought this was a big part of the problem with him.   But this in no means, he will want to play here either.

« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2016, 06:14:43 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
Okafor has a nice wingspan, and I think he is more agile than Brook Lopez. I believe he can grow as a defender. He just really needs to work on his jumpshot.

I would trade Bradley, and a couple first round picks. I would try to keep the Brooklyn pick. I really do think the Sixers could use a player like Bradley. Also with a different regime, I think they would value a player like Bradley higher than others.

Get it done Danny. I really think he can be the franchise player we need.

I have zero sources or any evidence to back up the following statement, but I'm 100% certain this is not possible.
DKC Suns

« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2016, 06:17:39 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Wow. People really are in love with this dude. I thought we pretty much had a moratorium on trade talks while we are in the playoffs. Can't people just sit back and enjoy the ride without popping off on Okafor trade ideas for a minute? 

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2016, 06:20:29 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
What I don't understand is why people look at what he did in Philly and assume it has anything to do with what he'd look like on a decent well-coached team.

I have always thought this was a big part of the problem with him.   But this in no means, he will want to play here either.

Okafor is a career winner.  Playing in Philly must have been torture for him.  I'm sure he'd love to play on a team that actually is trying to win.

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2016, 11:14:41 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Rank the following:
Greg Monroe
prime Al Jefferson
prime David Lee
what you project prime Jahlil Okafor would look like
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2016, 09:38:20 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Rank the following:
Greg Monroe
prime Al Jefferson
prime David Lee
Okafor

Monroe/Jefferson

Lee
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2016, 09:39:53 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Okafor is a career winner.  Playing in Philly must have been torture for him.  I'm sure he'd love to play on a team that actually is trying to win.
But he has money!
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2016, 10:59:51 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Rank the following:
Greg Monroe
prime Al Jefferson
prime David Lee

Hmmm....in their prime?

Al Jefferson
Greg Monroe
David Lee

Al Jefferson averaged 23/11 in his prime. Not a good defender but got better as the years went on. Unfortunately after that season he blew out his ACL and never was the same player. Even then he's a 20/10 player for his career per 36 and a pretty underrated guy. David Lee averaged 20/11 in his prime but was a p--- poor defender - even worse than Big Al. Per 36 he's 17/11 for his career. Monroe is a better defender than the both of them but is a 16/10 player right now (17/11 per 36) and hasn't made any progress in his game so I think he's probably all he's ever going to be. Hence he gets the nod over Lee but can't match Big Al in his prime.

As for Okafor, I don't know yet. I'd say he's probably going to be up there with Big Al. Maybe better and almost definitely not any worse unless he gets hurt. I know he played on a lousy team but even as a rookie he put up 21/8 per 36. I could easily see him putting up 22/10 numbers for a few years running.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2016, 12:45:28 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

Probably because it's exactly what he did in college on a decent well-coached Duke team.

You mean, operate out of the post as a top scorer for a team that won a national championship?
Lol.  TP. 

Look, I barely care about this debate.  A couple people here are being straight-up irrationally negative about Okafor's time.  Is he going to be as good as Karl Towns?  Very unlikely.  Is he some scrub?  Of course not.  That dude can play.  Offensively, he can be a game-changer for a team.  Defensively, he needs work.  But he's 20 years old and it's pretty obvious he's an elite prospect in this league by any measure of "elite prospect".  Again, I don't know how fans can be so hypocritical to give a guy like Marcus Smart a pass after two straight seasons of ghastly offensive play, while at the same time acting like Okafor is a finished product incapable of ever improving.   It's easier for a poor defender to develop into a mediocre defender than it is for a poor offensive player to develop into a mediocre offensive player.

And at the end of the day, we're all rooting for Boston to land the #1 pick.  If they end up 4-6, there's a fairly good chance that the player we draft will be significantly worse than Okafor.   I don't get the premise that anyone we draft there is automatically going to be better than the 20 year old rookie coming off a season with per-36 numbers of 21 points, 8.4 rebounds, 1.4 blocks with 51% shooting.  That's a pretty stupid premise, honestly... and anyone who expects that the guys taken 4-6 are a lock to be that productive as rookies is setting themselves up for disappointment.   Also, don't count on the idea that Philly will gleefully give up their stud prospect for one of those guys.  There's a pretty decent chance they'll have better options in the trade market.

The amount of scoffing at Jabari Parker and Jahlil Okafor on this forum this season is pretty ridiculous.  I'm rooting for the best outcome in the draft, but I'm entirely prepared to see us take a guy who can't hold Parker or Okafor's jock.   If Parker disappointingly peaks out as the next Glenn Robinson and Okafor disappointingly peaks out as the next Al Jefferson, can you really sit there hyper-criticizing their flaws while the #4 pick ends up the next Dion Waiters or Thomas Robinson?

My concerns with Okafor are these:

1.  Incredibly slow up and down the floor (probably the NBA's slowest starting center)
2.  Mediocre defense and rebounding (it's possible I'm being too generous here)
3.  Not much of a passer
4.  Can't seem to stay out of trouble in Boston.

I don't see the Okafor Al Jefferson comparison.  Jefferson was a GREAT rebounder.  Pre-knee injury he had a super quick bounce that allowed him to grab rebounds on the second or third leap.  Okafor doesn't have that.  He's much more like Eddy Curry athletically.  Super big, super strong, suuuuuper slow, and before you ask Eddy Curry also averaged 8.5 rebounds per 36 as a 19 year old NBA Center.  I agree Okafor is a great post scorer, but I can't for the life of me figure out how you could play him more than 22 minutes a game and still keep up the pace necessary to win games in the modern NBA.           

« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2016, 01:16:48 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
Depending on what we give up.... He is a big improvement on offense and on a decent contract.   So I'd trade for him as long as its not for our top 5 pick.    Pretty simple on paper I'm assuming he would make our teams +/- much better.   We have no low post presence besides Amir.   So I'd say do it....

I would give them our First or Dallas First.   Because I want Valentine with that second first round pick.   

Diggles

« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2016, 01:25:06 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Probably because it's exactly what he did in college on a decent well-coached Duke team.

You mean, operate out of the post as a top scorer for a team that won a national championship?
Lol.  TP. 

Look, I barely care about this debate.  A couple people here are being straight-up irrationally negative about Okafor's time.  Is he going to be as good as Karl Towns?  Very unlikely.  Is he some scrub?  Of course not.  That dude can play.  Offensively, he can be a game-changer for a team.  Defensively, he needs work.  But he's 20 years old and it's pretty obvious he's an elite prospect in this league by any measure of "elite prospect".  Again, I don't know how fans can be so hypocritical to give a guy like Marcus Smart a pass after two straight seasons of ghastly offensive play, while at the same time acting like Okafor is a finished product incapable of ever improving.   It's easier for a poor defender to develop into a mediocre defender than it is for a poor offensive player to develop into a mediocre offensive player.

And at the end of the day, we're all rooting for Boston to land the #1 pick.  If they end up 4-6, there's a fairly good chance that the player we draft will be significantly worse than Okafor.   I don't get the premise that anyone we draft there is automatically going to be better than the 20 year old rookie coming off a season with per-36 numbers of 21 points, 8.4 rebounds, 1.4 blocks with 51% shooting.  That's a pretty stupid premise, honestly... and anyone who expects that the guys taken 4-6 are a lock to be that productive as rookies is setting themselves up for disappointment.   Also, don't count on the idea that Philly will gleefully give up their stud prospect for one of those guys.  There's a pretty decent chance they'll have better options in the trade market.

The amount of scoffing at Jabari Parker and Jahlil Okafor on this forum this season is pretty ridiculous.  I'm rooting for the best outcome in the draft, but I'm entirely prepared to see us take a guy who can't hold Parker or Okafor's jock.   If Parker disappointingly peaks out as the next Glenn Robinson and Okafor disappointingly peaks out as the next Al Jefferson, can you really sit there hyper-criticizing their flaws while the #4 pick ends up the next Dion Waiters or Thomas Robinson?

1.  Incredibly slow up and down the floor (probably the NBA's slowest starting center)
3.  Not much of a passer

I don't see the Okafor Al Jefferson comparison.  Jefferson was a GREAT rebounder.  Pre-knee injury he had a super quick bounce that allowed him to grab rebounds on the second or third leap.  Okafor doesn't have that.  He's much more like Eddy Curry athletically.  Super big, super strong, suuuuuper slow, and before you ask Eddy Curry also averaged 8.5 rebounds per 36 as a 19 year old NBA Center.  I agree Okafor is a great post scorer, but I can't for the life of me figure out how you could play him more than 22 minutes a game and still keep up the pace necessary to win games in the modern NBA.           

I guess one way to slightly change your synopsis (which I totally agree) is that he is maybe the slowest RIM RUNNER, because in the half court he is insanely quick with the ball in his hands. Unfortunately he is just so utterly one dimensional. He can't really rebound, he is possibly the worst starting defensive center in the league, and he can't stretch the floor. I've actually seen some decent passing out of him (potential COULD be there.)

If we could find a unicorn (aka a large pf, who can stretch the floor, block shots, and rebound) then yes you get okafor in a heartbeat.

I think it will take something on par with the Brooklyn picks value though. He really Is a gifted low post scorer.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 01:45:25 PM by A Future of Stevens »
#JKJB

« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2016, 01:58:36 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
He may need a lot of work on defense, but how can you not love this offensive skill-set. I think it's pretty clear he'll become a good to great mid range shooter with such natural touch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK472jWIn7k
DKC Suns

« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2016, 02:02:34 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Lol.  TP. 

3.  Not much of a passer

I think these are pretty valid concerns that people gloss over. Al Jefferson is still a really good post scorer by the way. In one of the games in the Miami series, he actually scored something like 14 straight points in a quarter just taking it at Whiteside every possession. The problem was the Heat were scoring every single possession during this time period because he was slow on defense and couldn't rotate on Whiteside. It is really hard to make a judgement on Okafor until you see him on a competent team. It is possible he actually looks way better when he is surrounded by more players that can score on their own or hit outside shots because he will have more room to operate. However, it is also possible that on a better team his lack of foot speed on defense will become a bigger talking point on a team trying to stay in games.

It is interesting someone here mentioned Curry. He had a year where he averaged 19.5 points and 7 rebounds on 57% shooting from the field. However, I think his defense and other aspects of his game were so bad he helped make the Knicks horrible.

« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2016, 09:41:40 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Smart and the Nets(3-5) pick for Okafor and 24th pick seems right. I don't like Okafor very much but he had a good 1st year and is more promising than any of the guys at 3-6. I'd much rather just trade Dallas pick, philly second and Brooklyn 2018 for Noel. And not lose Smart at all. 76ers may like the idea of a high pick with out having to tank themselves coming soon. It's better than the MCW deal so maybe they  take it. Will ultimately depend on if 76ers get Simmons or Bender. If they do it makes sense to stay with Okafor and move Noel.

Two words - HELL NO!

I wouldn't give the #3 pick straight up for Okafor, no less throw in Marcus Smart.

Okafor couldn't guard a folding chair, no less living breathing NBA centers or power forwards.

« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2016, 10:32:12 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I'm open on trading the BKN pick for Okafor as long as it doesn't land top 2. Look at Kanter. He's tearing it up for  the OKC bench.