Author Topic: Back From Scandinavia: Thanks to Those Who Gave Advice!  (Read 1332 times)

Back From Scandinavia: Thanks to Those Who Gave Advice!
« on: April 22, 2016, 03:40:16 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Hi CBers.   Had my first trip to Europe.  Daughter in Copenhagen for semester and my older daughter, wife and I took a week and visited.   

2 days in Copenhagen, 2 days in Stockholm, Sweden, and 2 days in Bergen, Norway.

It was great.   I encountered NONE of the negatives that I heard may occur -- no spitting or rudeness in Sweden, nothing even remotely anti-American anywhere.   The people in all places were friendly and helpful.   The cities were amazing -- especially loved Copenhagen and Stockholm.

We had a great mix of city walking and nature.  The cities were incredibly clean and beautiful -- loved the colors, the architecture, the ornate carvings in many of the buildings -- wow.    The nature sights were incredible.  Could have done a week in each place, but the short stays pushed us to get out early and see as much as we could.   Lots of walking around the cities.   

Healthy, happy, very attractive people in Stockholm (especially) and Copenhagen.   The culture of bicycles as transport in the cities was amazing to me.   It's just as cold there as in Boston, but they make it happen.   I can't imagine what would happen in Boston with a similar volume of bicycles in Stockholm or Copenhagen.   

And the bathrooms in the Copenhagen airport were unbelievable.  Each stall its own water-closet -- not a stall with 3/4 walls, but a real private room. And clean!!!  Had to use the restroom when I arrived back at Logan where I encountered the anti-Copenhagen bathroom.  Disgusting.    Clean public facilities -- it can be done!!

Also impressed at the fluency with which everyone knew English (a little less so in Norway).   Every person we encountered in Denmark or Sweden could immediately shift to English seamlessly.   As one who learned about 10 words of Spanish in 6 years of classes, it's clear we ain't doing it right when it comes to learning world languages here in America.  I get that there is an economic-related impetus to learn English in Europe, but pretty impressive nonethteless and made me feel a little ashamed of American/English language arrogance.   

All in all an exhasuting but great trip.   CBloggers from Denmark, Sweden and Norway -- here's to you!!!! Great countries and great choice of basketball teams.   

Go C's tonight!

NG

Re: Back From Scandinavia: Thanks to Those Who Gave Advice!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 04:19:56 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
welcome back! or...Welcom hemma!  :)

glad you had a good time. international travel is a must for just about everyone.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Re: Back From Scandinavia: Thanks to Those Who Gave Advice!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 06:06:34 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
welcome back! or...Welcom hemma!  :)

glad you had a good time. international travel is a must for just about everyone.

Yes!. It's not something i think i'll feel the need to do again, but I'm grateful i had the chance and highly recommend to those lucky enough to be able to travel.

Thanks for the Welcom hemma.