Author Topic: Prince is dead at age 57  (Read 10923 times)

Re: Prince is dead at age 57
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2016, 04:08:42 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I know Prince was a musical genius and a giant in the industry, but despite being the same age I couldn't name 3 Prince songs off the top of my head (I could name 2).   As I listened more to his music over the last 24 hour than I did over the last 35 years, I guess I understand why I never got into his music.  Obviously hugely talented, but the music doesn't appeal to me.

Nonetheless, he seemed like an incredibly interesting and decent (I think) person, and his death is another music tragedy wrapped in some mystery -- just as he was in life.

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2016, 04:18:09 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I know Prince was a musical genius and a giant in the industry, but despite being the same age I couldn't name 3 Prince songs off the top of my head (I could name 2).   As I listened more to his music over the last 24 hour than I did over the last 35 years, I guess I understand why I never got into his music.  Obviously hugely talented, but the music doesn't appeal to me.

Nonetheless, he seemed like an incredibly interesting and decent (I think) person, and his death is another music tragedy wrapped in some mystery -- just as he was in life.
actually very similar for me....but now i have purple rain stuck in my head.  >:(
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2016, 04:26:41 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

actually very similar for me....but now i have purple rain stuck in my head.  >:(

Yup that's one of those songs .....LOL.......it starts play n like a CD on repeat in my head every time I hear it ..

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2016, 05:23:09 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

You know three. Everybody knows three

Purple Rain
When Doves Cry
Little Red Corvette
Raspberry Beret

No?

He wasn't my favorite artist, but the talent, innovation and originality are through the roof. I think that's the reason you're seeing he and Bowie linked a bit.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2016, 05:58:38 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

Purple Rain
When Doves Cry
Little Red Corvette
Raspberry Beret

No?

He wasn't my favorite artist, but the talent, innovation and originality are through the roof. I think that's the reason you're seeing he and Bowie linked a bit.

I'm with you guys I think.

Raspberry Beret is an absolutely great song.

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2016, 06:12:09 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

Purple Rain
When Doves Cry
Little Red Corvette
Raspberry Beret

No?

Amazingly enough, i only recognze Purple Rain and Little Red Corvette.  I guess that is a little embarrassing .

I could name almost every Beatles song though.

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2016, 06:22:07 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Purple Rain
When Doves Cry
Little Red Corvette
Raspberry Beret

No?

Amazingly enough, i only recognze Purple Rain and Little Red Corvette.  I guess that is a little embarrassing .

My favorite song of his is Nothing Compares sung by Sinead O'Conner.  Powerful song.

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2016, 07:03:48 PM »

Offline passesofftodj

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20

Purple Rain
When Doves Cry
Little Red Corvette
Raspberry Beret

No?

You were not living at the end of 1999?  The references were about every 2.7 seconds for about 2.7 months.

You must at least know Manic Monday then...or Nothing Compares 2 U.

What about Let's Go Crazy?  Pop Life?  Kiss?

I mean I don't see how even a casual listener of music could avoid knowing three Prince songs.  That is unusually impressive.

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2016, 07:34:47 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

Purple Rain
When Doves Cry
Little Red Corvette
Raspberry Beret

No?

You were not living at the end of 1999?  The references were about every 2.7 seconds for about 2.7 months.

I mean I don't see how even a casual listener of music could avoid knowing three Prince songs.  That is unusually impressive.

Consider this: I have an ipod with 700 songs. There isnt a single song in it that was produced after 1978.  Graduated college in 1980, never listen to music radio (in the 80s i listened to the oldies station). 

None of the songs you referred to even ring a bell.  I do have to admit that When Doves Cry sounded familiar but i didnt think i knew it -- but just googled it and indeed i have heard the song before.  So some of this is possibly that ive heard the songs but just not familiar enough to know the titles.

Don't believe it if you dont want to. My friends are often amazed at my lack of pop music knowledge.  Almost everything post-1980 pretty much never entered my brain.

Update: yes! Ive heard the expression "party like it's 1999" but didnt know that.this was from a Prince song.

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2016, 07:38:31 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton

Purple Rain
When Doves Cry
Little Red Corvette
Raspberry Beret

No?

I have to admit that I'm culturally illiterate and I only know a handful of Prince songs.  I stopped paying attention when he turned his name into a symbol I guess.

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2016, 07:57:10 PM »

Offline passesofftodj

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
Want to see why Prince is one of the dozen or so greatest musicians in known human history?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zIoRPP7tR4

This is the first gig Wendy Melvoin had with band and I believe the first time they ever played the song live.  This take ended up on the record with a few edits and minimal overdubs.  The vocal and guitar solo are what is on the record (some edits).  See him searching for the solo melody that leads to the outro falsetto vox...just on another level from just about anyone who has ever lived.

This is among the most powerful performances ever recorded.  Enjoy it while it is still up online...

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2016, 08:35:12 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Purple Rain
When Doves Cry
Little Red Corvette
Raspberry Beret

No?

prince actually covered my fav Bowie song 'heros' in his last ever concert...so that is interesting

"A second encore included an R&B-tinged version of David Bowie’s “Heroes.”

http://ktla.com/2016/04/22/princes-last-days-health-scares-thrilling-shows-purple-piano/

that might be interesting only to me, but who knows....

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2016, 11:47:19 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Such devastating news.

When I was in my younger days I barely knew of Prince, wasn't a huge fan at all.  I started off into R&B, then moved on to 90s electronic/dance, then once I got serious with audio systems in my mid 20s I started to get into a bit of rock, metal and jazz/blues.

I was born in '86 so all I initially knew of Price was the stuff I would see on music TV - mostly tracks like "Diamonds and Pearls", "The most beautiful girl in the world", "Cream", etc.  I always just saw him as another RnB performance, just one that is a bit weird, feminine and sexualised.

It's only the past 5 years or so that I have really started to get into his stuff, and once I started to buy more and more of his albums, I started to realise just how incredibly versatile his music is.  I have music from Prince that ranges from funk, to pop, to rock, to blues, to R&B, to hardcore power ballads.  I've seen live performances (on youtube, etc) of him playing electric guitar, piano, drums, you name it. 

I was lucky enough to see him twice when he was down in Sydney a couple of years ago.  Went two days in a row because the first time we had poor seats and couldn't hear very well, so we went again the next day and got better seats.  Was completely shocked to find that two two concerts were completely different.  Entirely different song list, and the handful of songs that he did play on both nights, he changed up and played in a totally different way.

Then I read up on him and read that apparently Prince doesn't actually go with any set script when he does a concert - he quite literally wings it.  Supposedly the band knows countless renditions of each and every song, and he will dynamically select which song to play (and which specific version) on the fly depending on how he feels the vibe is going.

I've just never heard of any other artist doing anything like that.  Mindblowing.

The interesting thing with my own listening experiences with Prince is that I started off (like most people) getting to like his most popular songs - When Doves Cry, Diamonds and Pearls, Little Red Corvette, Purple Rain, etc.  But now, after buying so many of his CD's and listening to them over and over, I find that some of my favourite Prince songs are actually ones that get barely any press, such as:

Bambi
Lady Cab Driver
Paisley Park
The Ballad of Dorothy Parker
If I was your girlfriend (few people realise that this Beyonce track was based on a Prince track)
Lets work
Sexuality
Shh
Joy in Repetition
Anna Stesia
Anotherloverholenyohead
Money don't matter tonight
The Beautiful Ones

The list just goes on and on, and that is the craziest part of all.  I could probably make a list of 30-40 Prince songs that I just can't get enough of, that most people have never even heard of...and they are all so unique from one another.

It's just incredible the level of musical creativity this man has.  Just amazing.

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2016, 11:50:01 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
Want to see why Prince is one of the dozen or so greatest musicians in known human history?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zIoRPP7tR4

This is the first gig Wendy Melvoin had with band and I believe the first time they ever played the song live.  This take ended up on the record with a few edits and minimal overdubs.  The vocal and guitar solo are what is on the record (some edits).  See him searching for the solo melody that leads to the outro falsetto vox...just on another level from just about anyone who has ever lived.

This is among the most powerful performances ever recorded.  Enjoy it while it is still up online...

I did make an effort to watch it but it's gone.  :(

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2016, 05:42:42 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Such devastating news.

When I was in my younger days I barely knew of Prince, wasn't a huge fan at all.  I started off into R&B, then moved on to 90s electronic/dance, then once I got serious with audio systems in my mid 20s I started to get into a bit of rock, metal and jazz/blues.

I was born in '86 so all I initially knew of Price was the stuff I would see on music TV - mostly tracks like "Diamonds and Pearls", "The most beautiful girl in the world", "Cream", etc.  I always just saw him as another RnB performance, just one that is a bit weird, feminine and sexualised.

It's only the past 5 years or so that I have really started to get into his stuff, and once I started to buy more and more of his albums, I started to realise just how incredibly versatile his music is.  I have music from Prince that ranges from funk, to pop, to rock, to blues, to R&B, to hardcore power ballads.  I've seen live performances (on youtube, etc) of him playing electric guitar, piano, drums, you name it. 

I was lucky enough to see him twice when he was down in Sydney a couple of years ago.  Went two days in a row because the first time we had poor seats and couldn't hear very well, so we went again the next day and got better seats.  Was completely shocked to find that two two concerts were completely different.  Entirely different song list, and the handful of songs that he did play on both nights, he changed up and played in a totally different way.

Then I read up on him and read that apparently Prince doesn't actually go with any set script when he does a concert - he quite literally wings it.  Supposedly the band knows countless renditions of each and every song, and he will dynamically select which song to play (and which specific version) on the fly depending on how he feels the vibe is going.

I've just never heard of any other artist doing anything like that.  Mindblowing.

The interesting thing with my own listening experiences with Prince is that I started off (like most people) getting to like his most popular songs - When Doves Cry, Diamonds and Pearls, Little Red Corvette, Purple Rain, etc.  But now, after buying so many of his CD's and listening to them over and over, I find that some of my favourite Prince songs are actually ones that get barely any press, such as:

Bambi
Lady Cab Driver
Paisley Park
The Ballad of Dorothy Parker
If I was your girlfriend (few people realise that this Beyonce track was based on a Prince track)
Lets work
Sexuality
Shh
Joy in Repetition
Anna Stesia
Anotherloverholenyohead
Money don't matter tonight
The Beautiful Ones

The list just goes on and on, and that is the craziest part of all.  I could probably make a list of 30-40 Prince songs that I just can't get enough of, that most people have never even heard of...and they are all so unique from one another.

It's just incredible the level of musical creativity this man has.  Just amazing.

the list that you made includes a lot of my fav prince songs as well.  i agree 100%.  His big hit songs were great, but his more out there deep album cuts will always be my favorites.