Author Topic: Is This Enough for Jimmy Butler?  (Read 4655 times)

Is This Enough for Jimmy Butler?
« on: April 21, 2016, 01:37:39 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
#16, #23, #31, and #45 this summer; Boston's pick in '17 (which includes pick swap with Brooklyn) and 2 more second rounders in '17; Terry Rozier, RJ Hunter, and Avery Bradley.

Boils down to 3 first rounders, 4 second rounders, 2 prospects, 1 asset. Seems like it might be enough to nab Butler if he's really on the outs with Chicago but I'm not sure if I'm deluding myself. I'd throw in Sully in a sign-and-trade, too.

I'm imagining a summer where the Celtics get lucky in the lottery, draft smart, sign sign Al Horford, and execute a trade like this for Butler. I think that's a championship contender.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Is This Enough for Jimmy Butler?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 01:42:18 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
No I don't think so.

Add Crowder and you might have a legit conversation
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 01:42:50 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I don't think they move him without nets pick this year. I would offer Smart + Amir mavs pick and pick 3-6 or Amir rozier and pick #2
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 02:15:48 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I don't think they move him without nets pick this year. I would offer Smart + Amir mavs pick and pick 3-6 or Amir rozier and pick #2

I am on board with this, but would add more picks if required (preferably keep '17 and '18 BKN). Also, Amir isn't really necessary unless they want him since we have the cap space to absorb Butler. If we don't sign Horford, then I would want to hold on to Amir since Sully has one foot out the door and Amir fits in with the mentality of our team (especially with Butler).

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 02:34:00 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Trading '17 would be a mistake, that draft is going to be tight.  I'd trade BK if it's 3 or later for him, though. 

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 02:50:37 PM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
I would prly wait until Durant makes a decision. If we are able to land Durant maybe we go after Butler, and having Durant makes Crowder more expendable imo.
So maybe Crowder + bradley + Dallas pick for Butler?

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 02:56:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
No, Chicago will want present on-court value if they're trading Jimmy.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 03:29:05 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
My dream of dreams is we draft #1 and grab Simmons, trade Bradley/Crowder/Dal/16 Bos for Jimmy Buckets and then sign Durant as a FA.  We won't win the championship, but we'd have IT/Butler/Durant/Simmons/Amir.  What a team that would be.  Then we have high lottery picks in 17 and 18, then we have the Memphis pick.

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 08:06:05 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
My dream of dreams is we draft #1 and grab Simmons, trade Bradley/Crowder/Dal/16 Bos for Jimmy Buckets and then sign Durant as a FA.  We won't win the championship, but we'd have IT/Butler/Durant/Simmons/Amir.  What a team that would be.  Then we have high lottery picks in 17 and 18, then we have the Memphis pick.
With that team, I think we would win the championship.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 08:10:49 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Why would Chicago trade him for a pile of picks and average talent? Butler is a two way stud. He hastily ask out for anything to happen.You pray you get a guy like him with just one of those picks but it's less than likely. Plus you have to have the best offer. We simply don't have the talent. Thomas is head and shoulders above any other player we have. Start with him? If that's the direction the celts want to go and Butler makes it clear he wants out and we might have a chance.

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 09:03:51 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Trading '17 would be a mistake, that draft is going to be tight.  I'd trade BK if it's 3 or later for him, though.

I'd rather trade '17 and keep this year's pick definitely.

This year's pick is a sure thing - we know 100% for certain it is going to be top 6 at the very least, and it's probably going to be top 4.

Brooklyn have plenty of opportunity to improve this summer if things go their way (they have the cap space to sign one or two max contract players) so there is no way to know how high that 2017 pick will fall.  It may not even fall in the top 8, who knows.

Then again, I don't think we can trade the 2017 pick anyway.  Technically the pick still belongs to Brooklyn until draft day falls (at which time, we have the right to swap).  To my knowledge we don't actually 'own' the pick right now to be able to trade it.

We could offer 2018 though.

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 09:04:45 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Negotiations for Butler have to include a BRK pick. They'd probably like some established talent too. The deal that got people talking at the deadline was Crowder, Smart and the Brooklyn 16 pick for Butler, the Bulls didn't think it was enough. So unless you propose something close to that it's likely you're undervaluing Butler. If you already think that is too much, then you are not going to get Butler.

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 09:11:47 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Negotiations for Butler have to include a BRK pick. They'd probably like some established talent too. The deal that got people talking at the deadline was Crowder, Smart and the Brooklyn 16 pick for Butler, the Bulls didn't think it was enough. So unless you propose something close to that it's likely you're undervaluing Butler. If you already think that is too much, then you are not going to get Butler.

I believe Crowder wasn't included, which was likely the hang-up. You replace Bradley with Smart (plus smaller pieces) and you may have a deal. Butler is good, but he isn't Lebron/Durant/Paul George good. I agree that this is the summer Ainge needs to make at least one significant upgrade, but he has shown no history of grossly overpaying either.

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 09:45:33 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think the minimum for Butler is

(1) Crowder or Bradley
(2) Brooklyn pick (any of them)
(3) Another decent young player (e.g. Smart, Bradley/Crowder, Olynyk)
(4) Another lesser pick
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 10:16:03 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
#16, #23, #31, and #45 this summer; Boston's pick in '17 (which includes pick swap with Brooklyn) and 2 more second rounders in '17; Terry Rozier, RJ Hunter, and Avery Bradley.

Boils down to 3 first rounders, 4 second rounders, 2 prospects, 1 asset. Seems like it might be enough to nab Butler if he's really on the outs with Chicago but I'm not sure if I'm deluding myself. I'd throw in Sully in a sign-and-trade, too.

I'm imagining a summer where the Celtics get lucky in the lottery, draft smart, sign sign Al Horford, and execute a trade like this for Butler. I think that's a championship contender.
I don't think so only because none of those are the "big ticket" piece that would be needed for them to justify trading Butler.  It's a lot of stuff for us to give up but none of those things are the big piece the Bulls would want.

would probably have to include: Brooklyn '16 pick, AB/Crowder, Smart/Rozier. 

That's still a hefty price to pay.