Author Topic: Bye Bye Sully , So long Turner, get lost Zeller , Maybe KO too....  (Read 9893 times)

Re: Bye Bye Sully , So long Turner, get lost Zeller , Maybe KO too....
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2016, 10:02:05 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Id take Dino Radja over Sullinger at this point

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2016, 10:02:10 PM »

Offline OHCeltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
The only players safe are IT and Crowder they are playing with injuries. Keep Hunter and Rozier. Scrap everyone else bring in shooters and bigger stronger bigs.

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2016, 10:10:48 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Thomas won't be moved. He's the face of the franchise.

I would move any of the others in the appropriate deal, including Crowder, and including the results of what looks more and more like a very questionable draft last summer.

It will be absolutely inexcusable for Ainge to fail to add proven professional scorers to this roster. Absolutely inexcusable.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2016, 10:13:20 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

I would move any of the others in the appropriate deal, including Crowder, and including the results of what looks more and more like a very questionable draft last summer.

It will be absolutely inexcusable for Ainge to fail to add proven professional scorers to this roster. Absolutely inexcusable.

I'm sorry. But didn't you want us to blow this team up? That would include Thomas...
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2016, 10:13:39 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
Agree on Sully & Zeller but not Turner.  We definitely should re-sign him.  He was one of the few guys who played well tonight too.

I'm fine with resigning Turner.

I would not make Sully a contract offer. Let him walk. And release Zeller.

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2016, 10:25:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Sullinger is such a frustrating case. You would think that playing for a contract he would have a career year highlighted by an improvement in body recomposition. Instead, we've seen him become heavier and less mobile as the season has gone on.

He fell in the draft for a reason.  At this point I think we've seen enough to conclude he simply isn't capable of changing.  He's an undersized PF / C who will always struggle with weight and conditioning, even to the point he has trouble staying on the floor.  He'll probably never be an especially efficient or reliable scorer. 

He's a solid rebounder, passer, and team defender.  He's better as a bench player than as a starter.

If it's any consolation, just remind yourself he never would have fell to the Celtics if he was equipped to be better than he is.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2016, 10:28:36 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
Olynyk is done. he's sawft, inconsistent and just plain a waste of time at this point. I have a feeling he's hurt and not injured. if he plays the next game then i'll believe that to be so.

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2016, 10:41:59 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas

I'm sorry. But didn't you want us to blow this team up? That would include Thomas...

You do realize, right, that major changes don't include moving every single player - which has never been said in this tortured semantic discussion with you. You just arrived at that conclusion on your own.

To wit: The New York Football Giants are said to have "blown their team up" yet Eli Manning remains. I guess someone at the NFL Network understands the term, even if you don't. Perhaps I should have this discussion with them.

Any reasonable, basketball-knowledgable person would consider moving a half-dozen players as "blowing a team up." We certainly have that many we can spare in the off-season.

But don't let me interrupt your fantasies.

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2016, 10:45:51 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
Sullinger is such a frustrating case. You would think that playing for a contract he would have a career year highlighted by an improvement in body recomposition. Instead, we've seen him become heavier and less mobile as the season has gone on.

He fell in the draft for a reason.  At this point I think we've seen enough to conclude he simply isn't capable of changing.  He's an undersized PF / C who will always struggle with weight and conditioning, even to the point he has trouble staying on the floor.  He'll probably never be an especially efficient or reliable scorer. 

He's a solid rebounder, passer, and team defender.  He's better as a bench player than as a starter.

If it's any consolation, just remind yourself he never would have fell to the Celtics if he was equipped to be better than he is.

Quite true, but I have to admit that I'm surprised Sully got so fat that he can't get off the floor. That surprises me.

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2016, 10:49:20 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker

You do realize, right, that major changes don't include moving every single player - which has never been said in this tortured semantic discussion with you. You just arrived at that conclusion on your own.

To wit: The New York Football Giants are said to have "blown their team up" yet Eli Manning remains. I guess someone at the NFL Network understands the term, even if you don't. Perhaps I should have this discussion with them.

Any reasonable, basketball-knowledgable person would consider moving a half-dozen players as "blowing a team up." We certainly have that many we can spare in the off-season.

In my opinion, the point of blowing up a team would be to rebuild around young talent.

Isaiah isn't exactly young, he's, what, gonna be 28 soon? He's at peak value right now. Probably won't be an all star again next season or ever again. If one was to blow up a team, you'd likely cash in on Isaiah while you could.

Which is why I wouldn't move smart or other young guys if I was gonna blow up my team.

But, I see we have differing opinions on practically everything Celtics related. And since there can be no right answer when it comes to opinions, I will not interrupt your fantasies (just as you don't wanna interrupt mine).

(FYI: my fantasies don't include blowing up this team).
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2016, 10:50:54 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Turner can stay. We need guys who can score and he can do that.

You need shooters who can create thier own shot at the end of games, see game 1. Turner is not that guy

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2016, 10:53:13 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker

You need shooters who can create thier own shot at the end of games, see game 1. Turner is not that guy

Turner has single handedly kept us in/gotten us a lead in games this season. He can create his own shot better than most of the roster. He's a fine guy to have off the bench for scoring purposes.

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2016, 10:56:31 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

uhhh dude turner can create his own shot, it's just not falling right now. big difference.

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2016, 10:57:38 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas

In my opinion, the point of blowing up a team would be to rebuild around young talent.

Isaiah isn't exactly young, he's, what, gonna be 28 soon? He's at peak value right now. Probably won't be an all star again next season or ever again. If one was to blow up a team, you'd likely cash in on Isaiah while you could.

Which is why I wouldn't move smart or other young guys if I was gonna blow up my team.

But, I see we have differing opinions on practically everything Celtics related. And since there can be no right answer when it comes to opinions, I will not interrupt your fantasies (just as you don't wanna interrupt mine).

(FYI: my fantasies don't include blowing up this team).

Sigh.

This team is plenty young enough. Youth has nothing to do with what this team needs, despite the bizarre obsession of some on this board with the draft and constantly getting younger. If anything, it's a problem.

And - again - this team needs shooters. In quantity. It has plenty of bricklayers. In quantity. Including Marcus Smart, who I would not hesitate to move to acquire a proven professional scorer. Smart is simply never going to adequately score the basketball, and I can find adequate defenders to patch the gap he leaves there, especially those who haven't earned the wrath of officials with their hotheaded play.

As pointed out in other threads, this team has a small core - Thomas, because he is the face of the franchise; and perhaps Crowder, although I cringe if the rumors are true about including him in a Jimmy Butler deal at the deadline. Others would include Smart; I vehemently disagree with that.

Beyond that, every single player on this roster should be on the table going into the summer.

Doesn't mean you move all of them. Means you acknowledge the failure of the 2014 and 2015 drafts  by admitting the volume of players you move would be large.

This team has been exposed in six quarters of putrid offensive basketball in the playoffs against a team that frankly isn't that good.

Ainge has to affect substantial change this summer. Failing to do so sends a message to your customers, the ticket holders, that you're OK with the current level of play. That can and should weigh heavily on any decisions whether to spend money with the Boston Celtics.

It is time.

This is my last word on the subject. This discussion bores me.

I will close with this: Your definition of "blowing a team up" is inconsistent with every person I've coached with, coached under or known in the game of basketball. You now know mine, whether you accept it or not is no further concern.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 11:06:53 PM by CoachBo »

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2016, 10:59:44 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
It's a very unpopular view but I cannot stand this coach. As soon as I saw we hired a college coach I said ," oh no." Great coaches get fired all the time. I don't know if Stevens is good or if he's great but I cannot understand why we ever have been playing guys like Lee, Zeller, Jerebko, Sully. These guys are not part of the future and have little to know trade value.
 I could be wrong but it seems Ainge is afraid to not give the coach everything possible to win every individual game , but since he's been here it comes at the cost at developing players.
I'm not a pro tanker but it drives me crazy that Smart didn't take his lumps at playing point when that's where we would have liked him to play.Hes been used way to much spotting up in the corner when he's a poor shooter.
   I'm really dissapointed in Ainge that he lets Stevens do this stuff. Look at Rozier tonight. It's clear the kid has some tools to be an asset in the nba yet he got nothing but garbage time all year.
  All this winning culture crap . That comes from players not coaches. We didn't have a winning culture with Doc until the big trades for Ray and Kg.
  I just have never understood this direction. We get these injuries and NOW we need Terry Rozier? Way to late coach. I'm sure he's fine at the X's and O's but this all hurts us long term.
I'd love to keep the coach if he could think more long term but that's on Ainge letting this happen too.
I just have found this direction extremely frustrating. If turner hoes then we've wasted two seasons of using Smart at point and it looks like Rozier has been wasted this year too.
Why can't we just let players we would like to develop get the minutes?? Earning the minutes can't be a valid point because Sully let down the entire team the last two years being fat.