Author Topic: Celtics (0-1) at Hawks (1-0) Game #2 4/19/16  (Read 62729 times)

Re: Celtics (0-1) at Hawks (1-0) Game #2 4/19/16
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2016, 11:25:59 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Bill Simmons is mad bc Scott Foster and Tony Brothers are reffing apparently

Yep.  Not the best news I've seen today. 

Tony Brothers
Brothers has been really bad at times lately. 
Tony Brothers is entering his 22nd season as an NBA official and has officiated 1,270 regular season games, 84 Playoff games and five NBA Finals games during his career. He was a member of the crew that officiated the 1996 Mexico Challenge, 1998 Schick Rookie Game, 1999 McDonald’s Championship in Milan, Italy and the 2008 China Games.Prior to joining the NBA, Brothers spent four years officiating in the CBA, including three CBA Finals and a CBA All-Star Game. He has one year of collegiate officiating experience at the Junior College level. Brothers also has seven years of high school officiating experience in Virginia, including three state tournaments.

Two seasons ago, in a game vs the Knicks, twice Brothers made the correct call from across the court after Dick Bavetta, who was standing right on top of it, missed the call. All in all, Brothers used to be one of the better refs in the league, but seems to be getting worse and worse as the seasons go on. In a game last season against the Lakers, he was terrible. He was the referee who ejected Isaiah Thomas on a bogus technical call, which has since been rescinded. He also missed a clear travel and double dribble by Lin right in front of him at a very crucial time. There were bad calls and phantom calls all game. The Lakers shot 38 free throws to 27 for the Celtics. Even the Lakers fans were complaining about the officiating going their way all game. Here is a comment from the Lakers boards that says it all, "The Refs are screwing our tank."

This season, in the loss to Dallas, the officiating was terrible. After they called 2 clean blocks by the Celtics fouls, Tommy yelled, "That's 2 strikes against them." Then after failing to call a Parsons elbow to Smart's head right in front of the ref, Tommy yelled "This is getting obnoxious." They were so bad they even got an "Oh, come on!" from Mike who rarely complains. Here are just a couple comments from many from Mavs fans:
"Curious sequence there. Phantom foul on Bradley, Lee gets mugged - no call, and ticky tack foul on Lee"
"I'd be p---ed if I was a Celtics fan at this officiating."
"I'll take the win but without the refs help, we lose this one."
Dallas shot 35 free throws to 24 for Boston, even after several intentional fouls by Boston at the end. Brother was also the crew chief in the game against the Timberwolves. In that game calls went the Celtics way at first. After 2 technical fouls against Minnesota's bench things reversed and calls went mostly the Wolves way. Again, the Timberwolves fans said it best:
"The refs were the MVP tonight for us."
"It's weird being on the other side of poor officiating."
"Free throws the only thing keeping us afloat in this one."
"We're getting all the calls we didn't get other nights."
When fans admit they are getting help from the refs, you know that the officiating is bad. Minnesota shot 32 free throws to just 16 for the Celtics. In a Pacers game this season, they mostly let both sides play but missed a couple of big calls that even the ESPN announcers mentioned. One was an out of bounds play and the other was an offensive foul against Amir that was not called. Other than a few glaring calls, they weren't all that bad in that game. It's funny that before the game, both fan bases were bemoaning the fact that Brothers was one of the refs.

He called a game vs the Kings this season and again, the officiating was terrible. The officials allowed a lot of contact by the Kings but none by the Celtics. Again, the Kings fans said it best:
"Hahaha these refe are bad. That was definitely a foul on Rondo."
"We can use all the help we can get. I imagine Boston fans aren't too happy with the officiating today."
"I'd be furious if I was a Boston fan."
The free throws at the end of the 3rd quarter 17-5 in favor of the Kings. After several intentional fouls by the Celtics to stop the clock, the final total was 19-15 in favor of Sacramento. The Celtics took no free throws in either the 2nd or 3rd quarters.  The last game he called was against Portland.  They let them play early but tightened it up a bit towards the end.  They gave the Celtics the benefit of several no calls down the stretch.  The Celtics shot 24 free throws to 20 for the Blazers.  There were a lot of complaints from Portland fans in this one.  You never know what you will get with Brothers as the lead ref. Sometimes he is good and sometimes he is very bad.

Scott Foster
A veteran official of 21 NBA seasons, Scott Foster has worked 1,305 regular season and 124 Playoff games, including 14 Finals games during his career. He was a member of the crew that officiated the 1996 Europe Tour in Berlin, Germany and Seville, Spain. In addition to his NBA experience, Foster has two years of CBA officiating experience, two years of collegiate officiating experience in the Southern and Big South conferences and six years of high school officiating experience in Maryland.

Foster came into the public eye as the best friend of former referee Tim Donaghy. In his book, Donaghy describes Foster as a very honest and good guy who knew nothing of his gambling. However, recently Donaghy described Foster as a company man who will do what is asked of him to keep his seniority among refs. Foster was part of the 2010 Finals game 7 officiating crew that called the final quarter completely different than the first 3 quarters and very one sided for the Lakers with 21 free throws for the Lakers and 6 for the Celtics in the final 12 minutes.

Foster led the officiating crew that called the game vs the Bucks this season. They let both teams play with the Celtics shooting 19 free throws to 23 for the Bucks. It was evenly officiated with both teams being allowed to play without being called for ticky tack fouls. He also called a game vs the Bulls this season and they let them play and called it evenly in that one as well.  Like most refs he can be good or bad.   The home team is just 1-13 in the last 14 playoff games that Foster has called. 

After refs called the game one sided and  blew 3 crucial calls against the Celtics in game 1 that probably cost them the game,  they owe the Celtics a fairly officiated game in this one. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 03:40:39 PM by FLCeltsFan »

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2016, 11:42:16 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
TP FlCeltsfan.   

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2016, 12:19:39 PM »

Offline djbilly33

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 11
AB injury will hurt us. MS scares me whenever he's on the offensive end. I think he's a huge liability. All Atl needs to do is contain IT because we have no other threat on our team. Hawks win tonight and win the series in 5. Hopefully the Nets pick lands up a #1 or 2 pick and then we can lure a big FA in the offseason to go along with our team.

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2016, 05:42:26 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Confirmed: Smart is starting.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2016, 05:42:52 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

And Kelly is out.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2016, 05:43:23 PM »

Offline CoachBS#1

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
GO CELTICS!!!!

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2016, 05:46:17 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
Honestly I wouldn't mind our top guys tonight (IT, Marcus, Jae, Evan) playing high 30s/low 40s in minutes. Maybe Rozier can help out a bit, but I'd rather not have anyone else play who has been sitting on the bench previously.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2016, 05:58:17 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
Meanwhile...

Lamar Patterson has been recalled by the Hawks after a stint in the D-League.

Wonder if he'll have a career night against us too...

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2016, 06:00:08 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930

And Kelly is out.

Ugghh, freaking figures. We're going to have to win this game on grit alone without our two best shooters.

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2016, 06:32:52 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Good quality YouTube stream

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqJb_kOiSzCG39AUou00g8A/live

It is taken down unexpectedly at times, so just to err on the safe side have first row or some other stream open too

http://firstrowgr.eu/watch/429762/1/watch-atlanta-hawks-vs-boston-celtics.html

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2016, 06:33:54 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
Good quality YouTube stream

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqJb_kOiSzCG39AUou00g8A/live

It is taken down unexpectedly at times, so just to err on the safe side have first row or some other stream open too

http://firstrowgr.eu/watch/429762/1/watch-atlanta-hawks-vs-boston-celtics.html

Thanks man! TP

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2016, 06:37:51 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

And Kelly is out.
wait you mean he wont play at all?

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2016, 06:38:25 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Something tells me Smart is going to step up this game and have a huge night.  He played very well Saturday, including 3-6 from downtown.  I hope he gets to cover Teague -- I think he'll smother him.

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2016, 06:39:16 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

And Kelly is out.
wait you mean he wont play at all?

According to ESPN, no.  I don't think he'll be active.

EDIT: Also according to the Celtics Twitter account.

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2016, 06:44:18 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I am very worried about the refs tonight.  We have 2 of the worst on the planet.