Author Topic: NBA Playoffs 2015-2016  (Read 172673 times)

Re: NBA Playoffs 2015-2016
« Reply #960 on: May 25, 2016, 12:13:41 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Can't blame injuries or the refs. They're just being outplayed.

« Reply #961 on: May 25, 2016, 12:21:14 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Where be those haters of mine saying OKC will lose in Game 4??  ;D ;D ;D

Still sticking it to OKC in 6. I'll give one game to the Warriors in Game 5. But it'll be hilarious if the 73-9 season team get bounced at home.

I like Curry, and I like a lot of things about this Golden State team, but I still say you need bigs to have long-term success in the NBA.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #962 on: May 25, 2016, 12:41:19 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Where be those haters of mine saying OKC will lose in Game 4??  ;D ;D ;D

Still sticking it to OKC in 6. I'll give one game to the Warriors in Game 5. But it'll be hilarious if the 73-9 season team get bounced at home.

I like Curry, and I like a lot of things about this Golden State team, but I still say you need bigs to have long-term success in the NBA.

GSW and their small ball get on my nerves, but tbh it is too early to write them off. Last year they won the championship. This year they had a phenomenal regular season and now they are on the brink of elimination at the WCF. This is not bad by any standards nor is there is any reason to think they cannot come back to success next year (alas).

« Reply #963 on: May 25, 2016, 03:34:46 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I went for Warriors in 5. Did not see this coming. We could be seeing an OKC vs Raptors finals!!!

« Reply #964 on: May 25, 2016, 08:07:02 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2403
Well, that's why I said closest approximation. They didn't face the exact competition that OKC did, but they were similarly considered an also-ran going into the playoffs, being the underdog in every single series, even the first round against sixth-seed Portland.

I mean, how about this - - has any NBA team ever won two series against teams that won at least ten more games in the regular season? I think the 2010 Celts might be close. The Cavs and Magic won a lot of games that season.

I would guess that 1995 Rockets did.

Update: I looked it up. The 47 win 6th seed Rockets beat a 60 win Utah team in the first round, a 59 win Suns team in the 2nd round, a 62 win Spurs team in the Conference Finals and a 57 win Orlando Magic team in the Finals.

« Reply #965 on: May 25, 2016, 09:34:35 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Well, that's why I said closest approximation. They didn't face the exact competition that OKC did, but they were similarly considered an also-ran going into the playoffs, being the underdog in every single series, even the first round against sixth-seed Portland.

I mean, how about this - - has any NBA team ever won two series against teams that won at least ten more games in the regular season? I think the 2010 Celts might be close. The Cavs and Magic won a lot of games that season.

I would guess that 1995 Rockets did.

Update: I looked it up. The 47 win 6th seed Rockets beat a 60 win Utah team in the first round, a 59 win Suns team in the 2nd round, a 62 win Spurs team in the Conference Finals and a 57 win Orlando Magic team in the Finals.

'81 Rockets had only 40 wins, beat the 54 win Lakers and the 52 win Spurs and took the 62 win Celtics to 6 games in the Finals.

That was before my time so maybe somebody can tell me what was going on, but the WCF was the 40-42 Rockets vs the 40-42 Kings.  The West was worse than the East, but still had some good teams like a healthy Lakers, a Spurs team with a prime George Gervin, and a balanced 57 win Suns team with 3 All-Stars in DJ, Walter Davis, and Truck Robinson all averaging just under 20ppg.  How could two sub .500 teams be battling it out for a spot in the Finals (best of 3 first round probably helped).  Blows my mind.  All I know is when somebody here brings up asterisks for a championship team, they never want to talk about the '81 C's beating a 40 win team in the Finals who wouldn't even qualify for the playoffs most years.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #966 on: May 25, 2016, 11:00:48 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Seems that no matter how much success Golden State has, there will always be folks who say "They rely too much on jumpers!" and "You can't rely on small ball!" anytime they lose.

How about the fact that the Thunder have two top 5 players who are both playing out of their minds right now? 

There isn't a team in the league that can match up with OKC athletically.  Them reaching this level always seemed possible, they just haven't been able to find this kind of flow on offense and lock in on defense for multiple games in a row.

I think the lesson here is not that what the Warriors do is somehow flawed now that they're losing to the Thunder.  Nor is it that teams should try to build a team like the Thunder (good luck).

Rather, I say it underscores that you should put together the best collection of talent you can and figure out how to maximize the players you have.  Get the best players you can, and figure out how to put your best players on the floor together and maximize their output.  You can win a lot of different ways in this league.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #967 on: May 25, 2016, 11:02:33 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Well said.

« Reply #968 on: May 25, 2016, 05:15:40 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I don't like this Curry injury excuse. IMO, OKC has played with more heart and hustle for most of this series and that's what's getting them wins. In the playoffs, where there are fewer possessions, each possession matters so much. OKC has seemingly gotten most of the 50-50 balls, or created 50-50 scenarios, and thats what has led to wins.

Durant has been brilliant but RW (and Steven Adams) has been the motor behind this engine. If this were the finals, I'd give the finals MVP to Westbrook.
- LilRip

« Reply #969 on: May 25, 2016, 05:18:30 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Simply put, the turnovers has finally caught up to the Warriors and they no longer making bad shots.

« Reply #970 on: May 25, 2016, 05:22:04 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I don't like this Curry injury excuse. IMO, OKC has played with more heart and hustle for most of this series and that's what's getting them wins. In the playoffs, where there are fewer possessions, each possession matters so much. OKC has seemingly gotten most of the 50-50 balls, or created 50-50 scenarios, and thats what has led to wins.

Durant has been brilliant but RW (and Steven Adams) has been the motor behind this engine. If this were the finals, I'd give the finals MVP to Westbrook.

Me neither. The injury excuse reminds me of Peyton Manning only after certain losses. He played well in Portland Game 5 and OKC Game 2. Last year's Grizzlies and Cavs series involved lackluster games for Curry as well.

« Reply #971 on: May 25, 2016, 05:26:44 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
Seems that no matter how much success Golden State has, there will always be folks who say "They rely too much on jumpers!" and "You can't rely on small ball!" anytime they lose.

How about the fact that the Thunder have two top 5 players who are both playing out of their minds right now? 

There isn't a team in the league that can match up with OKC athletically.  Them reaching this level always seemed possible, they just haven't been able to find this kind of flow on offense and lock in on defense for multiple games in a row.

I think the lesson here is not that what the Warriors do is somehow flawed now that they're losing to the Thunder.  Nor is it that teams should try to build a team like the Thunder (good luck).

Rather, I say it underscores that you should put together the best collection of talent you can and figure out how to maximize the players you have.  Get the best players you can, and figure out how to put your best players on the floor together and maximize their output.  You can win a lot of different ways in this league.

For me at least, it's not necessarily the number of jumpers but the type and timing of those jumpers. Look at Cleveland. They shoot a ton of threes, too, but you hardly ever see them taking some of the ridiculous shots that Curry and Thompson take. You have to admit that they take quite a bit of shots that are both A) rushed/ill-timed and B) more difficult than most threes either due to distance or tight coverage. It's great when they're hitting them, but now you're seeing how limited they are when Curry isn't hitting those ridiculous shots. So I say it's more of a qualitative thing than a quantitative thing with their jump shot-reliant offense.

« Reply #972 on: May 25, 2016, 05:29:33 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

I'm still not counting the Warriors out but if they win 73 games in the regular season and then go out in just five in the Western Conference Finals, that will be one of the epic failures in sports.  And they were blown out the last two games most for the same weaknesses everyone has harped on.

They could've lost to OKC no matter what but to lose like this is amazing.

Mike

« Reply #973 on: May 25, 2016, 09:26:32 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 872
  • GOT IT!!!
Was hoping we'd get another good game tonight but Cavs aren't going to mess around.

« Reply #974 on: May 25, 2016, 09:36:13 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Adding JV in the lineup probably messed up Casey's rotation. He is just to slow to close out Frye's 3 pointer.