Author Topic: NBA Playoffs 2015-2016  (Read 172057 times)

Re: NBA Playoffs 2015-2016
« Reply #300 on: May 04, 2016, 12:14:44 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Yeah I see the dribble now too.  Good catch, TP.

No idea if it's a travel though.   :blank:

« Reply #301 on: May 04, 2016, 01:30:25 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Wow, I checked the score after the 3rd and warriors are down like 10, then I get the notification they won by like 11 or something. What a turn of events. I didn't think Blazers would lose tbh
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #302 on: May 04, 2016, 02:35:17 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
L2M report came out. Six incorrect non-calls in favor of the Spurs, two in favor of the Thunder. On the controversial inbound play, the Thunder were fouled twice (Mills grabbed Adams, Kawhi grabbed Westbrook). Ginobili was ruled to have committed a violation by touching the line.

Spurs lost that game fair and square. They petition the result of that game, the NBA's returning those fouls they got away with.

The refs let the players determine the game and I'm entirely fine with that, as long as there were consistent non-calls both ways.

http://official.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2016/05/L2M-OKC-SAS-5-2-16.pdf
Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

I guess the outraged posters last night have come to their senses that while the refs missed some fouls that the Spurs still had a fair or maybe an unfair, depending on how you want to view it, attempt to win the game.

Yes, given the new evidence that there were also non-calls in favor of the Spurs in addition to the non-calls favoring the Thunder, specifically the Ginobli violation of crossing the out-of-bounds plane that happened prior to the Waiters shove, there is nothing else to do as far as protesting or playing the game over again, because they missed calls that should've necessarily been called both ways, especially the Ginobli violation that was the first missed non-call and would've stopped all of the others had it been called. I have absolutely no problem with that and totally agree with it.

But I'm sorry, this is just not a justified case of "swallowing the whistle"/"letting them play" like you guys are making it out to be. There is absolutely no subjectivity or interpretive qualities to those violations. They should be called by every single ref in every single circumstance. Otherwise, you could make arguments that out of bounds violations and double-dribble violations are subjective in nature, but they're most definitely not. You're either in violation of double-dribbling the ball or being out of bounds or not. There's no interpretation to it. Thus, this wasn't them just swallowing the whistle and letting the game play - this was an empirically verified massive failure on the part of the refs to do their job. They just screwed up enough against both teams that there's really nothing you can do about it now.

And Smart457, I'm not looking to get in another long argument with you, mostly because it's been proven to be an exercise in futility, but you're still missing the entire point. The fact that the "Spurs still had an attempt to win the game" has nothing to do with anything right now. All the league memo did was show that the refs are highly incompetent, but they were highly incompetent both ways, meaning it didn't really favor one team over the other. However, if the Waiters violation was the only missed call in the last minute, they would've almost necessarily had to play the possession over again due to the objective nature of that violation, no matter if the Spurs had an attempt to win it or not.

Thus, while I agree that nothing else should be done because the refs were incompetent both ways, this is absolutely not a justified example, or really an example at all, of the refs swallowing their whistles or letting players play. This is an example of official fallibility and incompetence. The fact that NBA fans and the announcers for the game could clearly call that violation while it occurred right in front of an NBA ref with no call should tell you something about the state of NBA officiating.
All the new evidence that you supposedly think was unearthed today was discussed yesterday. Ginobili was all over the inbounder and the grab was discussed last night also. 

Weber over reacted and so did a ton of posters last night. I called it when I said your tune would change after sleeping it off as you were pretty emotional and you did change your tune. Good for you.

Sometimes the BS that a philosopher tries to spin gets in the way of the actual substance. I mean other then learning to BS, what else can you do with your degree in philosophy? Besides trying to use it like a badge on a forum.

Anyways the same holds true today that it did yesterday. The Spurs were never at a disadvantage due to the no call. They actually benefitted. They just couldn't capitalize on it.

Well, here's just another example of an argument going over your head.  ::)

It's becoming quite comical that you cannot wrap your head around the rather obvious distinction that is being made between subjective calls that are subject to interpretation and objective violations, though it's also very irritating and annoying since that makes it impossible for you to see the error in your reasoning.

And I'm guessing that's why I keep falling into the trap of answering these ridiculous posts that you're making when you *obviously* can't grasp the distinction argument that has been made, which means you then can't respond to any of these arguments and must resort to talking about anything but the argument at hand. I thought perhaps one more attempt at explanation would suffice for understanding, but, alas, no progress. Oh well, that's just the perils of online dialogue. What can you do?

« Reply #303 on: May 04, 2016, 12:41:01 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Wow, I checked the score after the 3rd and warriors are down like 10, then I get the notification they won by like 11 or something. What a turn of events. I didn't think Blazers would lose tbh

Yep, they had a huge come back in the 4th. I'm worried they will win it all again  :-\

« Reply #304 on: May 04, 2016, 02:34:59 PM »

Offline Smart457

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
L2M report came out. Six incorrect non-calls in favor of the Spurs, two in favor of the Thunder. On the controversial inbound play, the Thunder were fouled twice (Mills grabbed Adams, Kawhi grabbed Westbrook). Ginobili was ruled to have committed a violation by touching the line.

Spurs lost that game fair and square. They petition the result of that game, the NBA's returning those fouls they got away with.

The refs let the players determine the game and I'm entirely fine with that, as long as there were consistent non-calls both ways.

http://official.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2016/05/L2M-OKC-SAS-5-2-16.pdf
Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

I guess the outraged posters last night have come to their senses that while the refs missed some fouls that the Spurs still had a fair or maybe an unfair, depending on how you want to view it, attempt to win the game.

Yes, given the new evidence that there were also non-calls in favor of the Spurs in addition to the non-calls favoring the Thunder, specifically the Ginobli violation of crossing the out-of-bounds plane that happened prior to the Waiters shove, there is nothing else to do as far as protesting or playing the game over again, because they missed calls that should've necessarily been called both ways, especially the Ginobli violation that was the first missed non-call and would've stopped all of the others had it been called. I have absolutely no problem with that and totally agree with it.

But I'm sorry, this is just not a justified case of "swallowing the whistle"/"letting them play" like you guys are making it out to be. There is absolutely no subjectivity or interpretive qualities to those violations. They should be called by every single ref in every single circumstance. Otherwise, you could make arguments that out of bounds violations and double-dribble violations are subjective in nature, but they're most definitely not. You're either in violation of double-dribbling the ball or being out of bounds or not. There's no interpretation to it. Thus, this wasn't them just swallowing the whistle and letting the game play - this was an empirically verified massive failure on the part of the refs to do their job. They just screwed up enough against both teams that there's really nothing you can do about it now.

And Smart457, I'm not looking to get in another long argument with you, mostly because it's been proven to be an exercise in futility, but you're still missing the entire point. The fact that the "Spurs still had an attempt to win the game" has nothing to do with anything right now. All the league memo did was show that the refs are highly incompetent, but they were highly incompetent both ways, meaning it didn't really favor one team over the other. However, if the Waiters violation was the only missed call in the last minute, they would've almost necessarily had to play the possession over again due to the objective nature of that violation, no matter if the Spurs had an attempt to win it or not.

Thus, while I agree that nothing else should be done because the refs were incompetent both ways, this is absolutely not a justified example, or really an example at all, of the refs swallowing their whistles or letting players play. This is an example of official fallibility and incompetence. The fact that NBA fans and the announcers for the game could clearly call that violation while it occurred right in front of an NBA ref with no call should tell you something about the state of NBA officiating.
All the new evidence that you supposedly think was unearthed today was discussed yesterday. Ginobili was all over the inbounder and the grab was discussed last night also. 

Weber over reacted and so did a ton of posters last night. I called it when I said your tune would change after sleeping it off as you were pretty emotional and you did change your tune. Good for you.

Sometimes the BS that a philosopher tries to spin gets in the way of the actual substance. I mean other then learning to BS, what else can you do with your degree in philosophy? Besides trying to use it like a badge on a forum.

Anyways the same holds true today that it did yesterday. The Spurs were never at a disadvantage due to the no call. They actually benefitted. They just couldn't capitalize on it.

Well, here's just another example of an argument going over your head.  ::)

It's becoming quite comical that you cannot wrap your head around the rather obvious distinction that is being made between subjective calls that are subject to interpretation and objective violations, though it's also very irritating and annoying since that makes it impossible for you to see the error in your reasoning.

And I'm guessing that's why I keep falling into the trap of answering these ridiculous posts that you're making when you *obviously* can't grasp the distinction argument that has been made, which means you then can't respond to any of these arguments and must resort to talking about anything but the argument at hand. I thought perhaps one more attempt at explanation would suffice for understanding, but, alas, no progress. Oh well, that's just the perils of online dialogue. What can you do?
Probably because you are going off on a tangent.

I never said it wasn't a foul. So I'm not saying it wasn't.

The refs said they didn't see a foul or recognize one due to it never happening before. So there was nothing to question there either as far as intent.

The facts still remain the same which is why you came to your senses. You went from demanding a protest to saying it was ok how it played out and yet you continue to try to find an argument.

« Reply #305 on: May 04, 2016, 03:48:00 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!

Yep, they had a huge come back in the 4th. I'm worried they will win it all again  :-\

What's wrong with that? Funniest team in the league to watch.

« Reply #306 on: May 04, 2016, 04:06:45 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

better them than the smelly cavs
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #307 on: May 04, 2016, 05:03:28 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

better them than the smelly cavs

tbh ex Bay Area Lakers fans now turned into GSW bandwagoners are the ones who get the most on my nerves.

« Reply #308 on: May 04, 2016, 09:07:07 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
This is embarrassing. 36 point deficit after the half? You have to think that a fully healthy C's team would've made this at least a competitive series, and they surely wouldn't have given up 18 threes in the first half.

« Reply #309 on: May 04, 2016, 09:09:19 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
This is what it feels like to struggle, Atlanta. How does beating us feel NOW?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #310 on: May 04, 2016, 09:10:55 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Even Game 1 OKC is looking down on Atlanta right now.

« Reply #311 on: May 04, 2016, 09:32:21 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
When is the last time this Hawks team has even beaten Cleveland? They've got to be at like nine straight losses now after being swept last year in the playoffs and this year's season series.

At least it would show Horford that that Atlanta team will never get past Cleveland in the playoffs.

« Reply #312 on: May 04, 2016, 10:17:45 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
This is why I'm bummed about losing to the Hawks.  Cleveland would've taken us out but we would've given them a real fight.

How many times is the playoff record for 3s gonna be broken this year?  Tonight makes 3 times by my count - Cleveland, GS, Cleveland.

« Reply #313 on: May 04, 2016, 10:25:19 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
We would have at least managed to get J.R. ejected by exploiting his idiocy.

« Reply #314 on: May 04, 2016, 10:26:58 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Like I said, at the very least this just cements to Horford that the Hawks' ceiling is ECF. Cavs might not lose a game until they play Miami, and given Toronto's personality, they might get swept if they happen to make it to the ECF.