Author Topic: Off-Season Target: Deandre Jordan?  (Read 2867 times)

Off-Season Target: Deandre Jordan?
« on: April 15, 2016, 06:05:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Back around the trade deadline there was a lot of talk about possibly trading for Blake Griffin.

No trade ever materialized.

Still, there's been plenty of chatter about how the Clips are at a turning point, that they've hung with this current core group too long, and if things don't go well in these playoffs, they probably have to make some major changes.

I think implicit in that has been the idea that the Clips would either trade Chris Paul (to the Cavs for Kyrie Irving, perhaps?) or that they would trade Blake Griffin for multiple perimeter pieces. 

The latter idea has gained plenty of traction since they did so well without Blake in the lineup this spring.

All of that said, what if the Celts went after somebody else on the Clippers: Deandre Jordan?

Deandre is not the scorer that Blake is, to be sure.  But unlike Blake, he doesn't have any major injuries in his career.  He's played fewer than 77 games only once since his second season in the league (his first two years he was a minor role player).

What's more, Deandre does a lot of things the Celts desperately lack, namely gobble up every rebound in sight, finish with a sky high percentage in the paint, and block shots.  He also gets to the line a ton, but that's a bit of a mixed blessing.

Think about everything Amir Johnson has done for the Celts this year.  He's made a significant difference, even though his rebounding is inconsistent, his offense comes and goes, he tends to be banged up, and his agility and explosion is wearing thin.

Now imagine what Deandre would do.

Might not the Clips be more willing to consider trading Deandre, especially if he looks obsolete at times against the Warriors?

The trick here would be getting the Clips to pull the trigger without including Crowder in the deal.  Perhaps a package centered around Avery Bradley, Amir Johnson, and a couple picks, including one of the Brooklyn picks?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Off-Season Target: Deandre Jordan?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 06:58:46 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I hope he's a target. I think DeAndre is very underrated.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 07:01:41 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
He's a limited player, but he's a monster at the stuff he does well.

A lot of that is he gets to play with Chris Paul, but I think Brad Stevens would do a good job maximizing his strengths, and the Celts have quality backup stretch bigs to put in the game when the matchups are not advantageous.

I don't think there are any great small-ball teams in the East to take him out of the game, though, unlike the West.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 07:14:36 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
Here's why I love DeAndre:

1. The threat of the lob destroys defenses. You'd think that you could just lay off DeAndre since he's a limited offensive player, but you always have to account for him, and while Isaiah is no CP, he could still toss decent lobs.
2. He's a monster on the glass, and we desperately need help on the defensive glass.
3. People were so concerned about making sure DeAndre wasn't overrated as a defender that he's become an underrated defender. He's a legit athletic rim protector, exactly what we need.
4. Hack-a will be no more next year.
5. He's unselfish and okay with a limited offensive role, unlike someone like Dwight.
6. He's under contract long-term on a below market value deal.
7. He's an iron man who never misses time.

I think he'd be a perfect fit.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 07:25:22 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I think Stevens would have no problem sitting him at the end of games if he thinks that is the best use of a guy like Jordan.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 07:27:03 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Here's why I love DeAndre:

1. The threat of the lob destroys defenses. You'd think that you could just lay off DeAndre since he's a limited offensive player, but you always have to account for him, and while Isaiah is no CP, he could still toss decent lobs.
2. He's a monster on the glass, and we desperately need help on the defensive glass.
3. People were so concerned about making sure DeAndre wasn't overrated as a defender that he's become an underrated defender. He's a legit athletic rim protector, exactly what we need.
4. Hack-a will be no more next year.
5. He's unselfish and okay with a limited offensive role, unlike someone like Dwight.
6. He's under contract long-term on a below market value deal.
7. He's an iron man who never misses time.

I think he'd be a perfect fit.

Very good points.

He would be great here.

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 07:29:23 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
If Clips breakup.......CP3 goes straight to Lakers ( across the hall , other locker room ... ;D

Doctor disappears from coaching .  Griffin beats feet to the Heat.

Clippers become invisible lottery team for next 20 years.

Basically Clips blow up when CP3 decides he is though there.    He probably is figured out Docs a good guy .....but mostly average coach.

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 08:09:43 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Would love to have him. We giving up the Brooklyn pick for him?

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 08:15:49 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
One plus I will also throw in for him is that he is a great defensive team player and QB of sorts.  Micah Shrewsberry (Celtics assistant) said he is like a KG type communicator on defense and one of the best players at reading an offense and communicating to make smart adjustments on the court.  Interesting bit that I never see him really get credit for but an opposing coach whose focus is on defense giving him props impressed me.

Also the lob factor that some are mentioning is really key.  A lot of people miss how much a strong roll to the basket can bother a defense and create opportunities for others, even those outside of the pick and roll.  Even a guy like Zeller gives that benefit to the team when he is on the floor.  DeAndre is of course another level.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 08:29:06 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
What do we think a realistic offer for him is? Would it be possible to get deandre without giving up the Brooklyn pick? I know spacing would be a terrible issue but dreams of simmons running the break and throwing lobs to deandre would be awesome.
#JKJB

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 11:04:36 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

Depends where it lands and how confident Danny is in his ability to land KD.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 11:15:37 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

I'd rather have a more two-way player like Cousins, but I feel like someone like Jordan would be more of a draw for free agents than Cousins. Theoretically, a KO/Jordan frontcourt would be a pretty fantastic fit.

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 11:29:48 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

I'd rather have a more two-way player like Cousins, but I feel like someone like Jordan would be more of a draw for free agents than Cousins. Theoretically, a KO/Jordan frontcourt would be a pretty fantastic fit.

It would be a perfect fit, provided Kelly can last more than 20 minutes without fouling out.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2016, 04:08:02 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Hopefully they change the hack a player rule. If they do I wouldn't even hesitate to trade for him
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2016, 04:10:42 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Doc should make us a favour any way ::)
The only thing holding me back is his poor free throw shooting. It will cause us problems if the "hack a player" rule doesn't get changed.
Jack of all trades, master of none.