Author Topic: Young Quarterbacks in the NFL  (Read 4573 times)

Young Quarterbacks in the NFL
« on: April 14, 2016, 09:41:45 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
After nearly 2 decades of Manning and Brady, Manning is gone and Brady's career is going to come to a close some day. Never was a huge fan of Manning.  I liked his talent early on but the more I watched him there was just something about him I didn't like. Brady on the other hand has been the ultimate competitor since taking over for Drew Bledsoe years ago.

The issue I see is there is no one in the NFL i can see carrying the torch.  I am not a big fan of Cam Newton. Neither like him or hate him.  I see his talent. I feel like he is going to win and be grossly overrated though just because of a lack of competition. 

Who can give him competition at this spot?  Russell Wilson is ok so is Caepernick but again I think these guys are overrated because of the teams around them. Tony Romo hasn't shown he gets it at any time in his career.  Derek Carr is now being hyped as the next white quarterback. 

Roeslisberger is still around but isn't close to that level he was.  Drew Brees is all but done as well.  Sam Bradford is a bust.  Luck isn't but hasn't shown the ability to win big games yet.   Aaron Rodgers is probably the best competition out there but is a guy who tries to do too much.

Once Brady is gone there isn't a whole lot to root for here to me.   I guess more reason to hang onto Jimmy G but even him I'm not that sold on being the heir apparent here.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 09:52:55 PM by walker834 »

Re: Young Quarterbacks in the NFL
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 10:36:15 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Rodgers
Wilson
Newton
Luck

Maybe Titans Mariota. Maybe Carr.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 11:23:59 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
Rodgers
Wilson
Newton
Luck

People are underrating Jameis Winston. Dude threw for 4,000 yds and like 20 tds in his rookie year.

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 11:33:46 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I think Luck is crazy good.  I think his mobility is huge and if it wasn't for that he would not be producing how he has behind a super weak offensive line.

Luck has won big games.  His team need work overall.  I think with him, Newton, Wilson and others the position will be fine.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 11:37:07 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
After nearly 2 decades of Manning and Brady, Manning is gone and Brady's career is going to come to a close some day. Never was a huge fan of Manning.  I liked his talent early on but the more I watched him there was just something about him I didn't like. Brady on the other hand has been the ultimate competitor since taking over for Drew Bledsoe years ago.

The issue I see is there is no one in the NFL i can see carrying the torch.  I am not a big fan of Cam Newton. Neither like him or hate him.  I see his talent. I feel like he is going to win and be grossly overrated though just because of a lack of competition. 

Who can give him competition at this spot?  Russell Wilson is ok so is Caepernick but again I think these guys are overrated because of the teams around them. Tony Romo hasn't shown he gets it at any time in his career.  Derek Carr is now being hyped as the next white quarterback. 

Roeslisberger is still around but isn't close to that level he was.  Drew Brees is all but done as well.  Sam Bradford is a bust.  Luck isn't but hasn't shown the ability to win big games yet.   Aaron Rodgers is probably the best competition out there but is a guy who tries to do too much.

Once Brady is gone there isn't a whole lot to root for here to me.   I guess more reason to hang onto Jimmy G but even him I'm not that sold on being the heir apparent here.

That's where you're mistaken. Thomas Edward Patrick Brady Jr. will never retire and is probably going to age like Benjamin Button.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 09:23:27 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
There are 3 active QB's in the top 10 for playoff victories.  Obviously Brady is #1 all time (with 22, six ahead of Montana's 16), I assume most people would get Big Ben who is tied for 7th with Aikman (2 less losses) and Staubach.  #10 all time is Joe Flacco.  Eli Manning is 16th, Russell Wilson is already 19th, and Rodgers is 21st.  Brees doesn't come in until 26th.  All of those guys have won at least one Superbowl (obviously Brady has 4, Ben and Eli have 2).

If you look at win percentage from the QB's with at least 10 playoff games, Eli is 4th, Brady is 5th, Wilson is 6th, Flacco is 10th, and Ben is 11th. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 10:06:29 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

If you look at win percentage from the QB's with at least 10 playoff games, Eli is 4th, Brady is 5th, Wilson is 6th, Flacco is 10th, and Ben is 11th.

How many of them do you put in the HOF besides Brady?

Probably Ben.  Eli is going to be a HUGE lightning rod if he doesn't do anything else playoff wise the rest of his career (35 years old now).   Wilson appears like he could be on track.  Flacco?  He needs to do more. 

In regards to the OP, I'd say Rodgers.  Luck (if his idiot GM doesn't get him killed for a lack of addressing the O-Line). Russell Wilson.   I think Winston is already looking like something.  Carr is promising.

Outside of that, the future of the position looks a little more shaky right now.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 10:45:30 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

How many of them do you put in the HOF besides Brady?

Probably Ben.  Eli is going to be a HUGE lightning rod if he doesn't do anything else playoff wise the rest of his career (35 years old now).   Wilson appears like he could be on track.  Flacco?  He needs to do more. 

In regards to the OP, I'd say Rodgers.  Luck (if his idiot GM doesn't get him killed for a lack of addressing the O-Line). Russell Wilson.   I think Winston is already looking like something.  Carr is promising.

Outside of that, the future of the position looks a little more shaky right now.
Ben is a pretty clear HOFer.  Eli has 2 Superbowl victories, it would be hard to keep a guy out that has two, though he would be interesting.  The real question is, what do you do with Brees, Rodgers, Flacco, and maybe even a guy like Rivers.  Obviously those guys are still active and a lot can change before the end of their careers, but are those guys HOF QB's.  I mean your initial reaction is Brees and Rodgers probably are, but if you look a little deeper you can start to question that.  I think Brees is in, Rodgers probably gets in, and Flacco needs to do a bit more (it would help if he bumped his regular completion percentage up, but Baltimore needs to get him more than 1 quality WR).  I mean Kurt Warner is a finalist the last two years and probably gets in eventually and he has less regular season wins than all 3 of those guys and his QB Rating is lower than Rodgers and Brees.  If Warner is a HOFer, I don't see how Brees, Rodgers, Ben, and Eli aren't either nor Flacco if he gets another deep playoff run or two.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 04:37:04 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Rodgers
Wilson
Newton
Luck

The problem I see with this is Rodgers is the same every year. Stud player and fantasy stud but his team just doesn't win.   Wilson is a good player but the seahawks had their day it seems like and are not the same without Lynch.  The panthers have a good team. Newton is good. I don't think they are a great team though. They are just doing what  you should I guess. Good team. Good quarterback.  Luck is what you say.  Indy as an organization has shown no signs they know what they are doing.  I like Mariota as well and Carr as young quarterbacks but they really don't strike me as anything more than players that get hyped and end up like Warren Moon or whatever.  Jimmy G is that to me as well.  I can see why the bills were after him.  He's a jim kelly level quarterback ultimately maybe.

I don't see any Peyton Mannings, johnny U, Staubach, Brady, Montana, Aikman or anyone like that.  Newton is going to act like Donavan Mcnabb his entire career except win and be grossly overrated because of it.

joe flacco is out there.  Eli but these guys are on the same level.  Phillip Rivers.  Good organizations, good quarterbacks.  Newton and the panthers are kind of the same thing to me but overrated. Matt Ryan is the same. 

Luck could be that but seems more Dan Marino to me so far.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 04:46:31 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 04:52:19 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I hope the pats beat the panthers in the next couple years with Brady still here.  They really have an opportunity to do that if Brady can stay healthy and give us a couple more years.  I also hope Denver with Kaepernick remains a dominant defensive force.   I am rooting for Cam Newton to lose.

Arizona could be a really good team too. Carson Palmer  might get one. I just don't see teams like Dallas, or San diego or teams like that suddenly getting it. I think the titans are far off as well.  Luck  might have a huge year coming but Indy has issues.  Pittsburg could maybe get back.  Baltimore. Cincy has some potential. Kansas City but are really limited at quarterback spot.

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 10:16:13 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

The problem I see with this is Rodgers is the same every year. Stud player and fantasy stud but his team just doesn't win.   

uhhh...... what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XLV

Football is such a team game.  Contrary to what some fans think, even QBs can't win alone.

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 10:52:09 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
It's been 5 years since he's won though. I agree it's a team game.  I wasn't knocking rodgers they just don't seem to put it together as much as they could with him as their quarterback.

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 11:53:54 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
It's been 5 years since he's won though. I agree it's a team game.  I wasn't knocking rodgers they just don't seem to put it together as much as they could with him as their quarterback.

I just think he bascially won when their defense was finally good that year.  The same goes for other great QBs like Manning.  Defense matters a lot and I just don't buy bashing the QB for a team game.  The league revolves around the position but it's the rest of the team that separates good teams (like the Colts which have big roster flaws) from great teams that actually win titles.

And then you can still see great defensive teams win without QBs lighting it up, even in our modern era.  Speaks to my point.

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2016, 01:22:43 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Rodgers isn't the perfect quarterback.  He doesn't sustain drives like Brady does.  He'd be better if he was a better clock manager. Their defense is bad because of lack of talent but also his style of play. 

He's probably the best there is right now.  I think Cam is a better clock manager in ways. But Brady and guys like Manning are better than Rodgers.  It's not all stats either.  Brady himself has even started to air it out too much and lack of a running game, which puts pressure on the defense.

When the pats win its because they have balance on offense and defense. Losing their rbs really hurt last year. Sjax was a bad pickup too and didn't do shiz.