Author Topic: Hearing about 1995 bulls gave me an idea on how to improve the celtics  (Read 3088 times)

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
The reason the great teams were so successful was that each star had a role to play. For example  in the 95 bulls Rodman was the shot blocking rebounder / defensive big. Scotty pipen was the side kick on offense and lock down defender on guards and finally MJ was the catalyst of the offense. With golden state draymond has Rodman's job  Thompson is pipe and curry is the catalyst.

As for the celtics I feel like isaiah thomas can be the support for offense and the distributer of the ball and avery badly can be the lockdown defender. So the two of them combined is scotty pippen.
I am hearing rumors about jimmy butler/durant and other ball dominant scoring players. So my main concern today is  who can the celtics get to  take the role of rodman a defensive rebounding big man who can run the floor for modern nba times

Amir johnson has been a great improvement for defensive bigs from last time. However he is not exactly known as a great rebounder and his offense is not amazing he is mainly used for cutbacks.

SO I want to get the 26 year old center in minnesota named gorge deing

according to basketball reference
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/dienggo01.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/johnsam01.html

Deing is as good a rebounder then Johnson
Deing averages 7.1 rebounds per game in 27 minutes  with 1.9 of those rebounds being offensive rebounds
Johnson averages 6.4 rebounds per game of 23 minutes of play with 2.3 of those rebounds being offensive
However in 2013 when Johnson averaged 28 minutes a game he only got 6.6 rebounds per game
so maybe deing is a slightly better rebounder

Deing is actually as good defensively as Johnson and he is young so he can improve
 Deing this year  on average stole the ball 1.1 times and blocked the ball 1.2 times a game. Jonson averaged 0.7 steals a game blocked the ball 1.1 times

In advanced stats
 in defensive box score jonshon has +3.2 a game with -0.2 offensive box score a game
 box score wise for Deing he averages +2.4 and + 0.2 offensively. his rookie season deing averaged +3.2 defensively so if he played with a good defensive team rather then the timberwolves i expect the number will rise

Offensively
 in 27 minutes Deing takes 7 shots a game and averages 10 points making 53% of his shots
in 23 minutes Johnson takes 5.4 shots a game and averages 7 points making 58% of his shots

Deing PER is 17
Johnsons PER is 16

I know it does not look as much of a difference but to be able to take more shots and average around the same numbers I think deing can make a better offensive contribution. This is a strong defensive team that lacks serious offense. Even if its not as big an impact it might help carry the load for others. He has a good midrange jumper. He was the guy who stretched the floor for towns. if we have a center who can post up and shoot a good mid range jumper it will make us much more effective.

Deing makes 2 million
Johnson makes 12.5 million

I suggest trading olynyk and a mid round first round pick for him. Johnson can be released at the end of this season save money. we can sign someone to score just as well as Olynyk.

Write what you think? Do you think Deing should be a celtic? AM I offering to much for him too little?
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
when there are no responses
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

Online Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
Marginal upgrade at best, doesn't really move the needle for us. I'd rather focus on acquiring more of a game changer at the big spot (See: Cousins, DeMarcus) than a younger Amir.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't think he'd move the needle much for us. He's not going to bring even close to what Rodman brought (KG-level defense at several positions + best rebounding of the modern era).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
A top level defender + rebounder like DeAndre Jordan would be more in line with Rodman comparison.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It is pointless to model a team of the Bulls, because we have no Jordan.  All those other pieces of the 95 bulls aside from Pippen were a band of role-players.   We do have that.  IT could be a Pippen level player but not on D.  But no Jordan on this team.

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
As someone who follows the Timberwolves as my "second team," I can confidently tell you that Dieng is horrid on defense. His counting stats are okay, but he is completely lost on rotations and exposed in one-on-one match ups. He's incredibly slow; thus, he can't switch on screen-and-rolls like an Amir Johnson. Advanced stats back up Dieng as a bad defender, even on the poor Timberwolves team.

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
It amazes me how much the abilities of certain players get romanticized.

Rodman was NOT a shot-blocker. He averaged about a half of a block per game.

Elite rebounder?...YES,  Great defender...YES...Shot-blocker....not to my recollection.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Elite rebounder?...YES,  Great defender...YES...Shot-blocker....not to my recollection.

Yeah, he didn't average many blocks or steals.  His fundamental defense was off the charts, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Yeah, he didn't average many blocks or steals.  His fundamental defense was off the charts, though.

VERY true....he was so quick laterally, and instinctually anticipatory, that he "knew" exactly where to be defensively (and in rebounding), stuff you can't teach.

Re: Hearing about 1995 bulls gave me an idea on how to improve the celtics
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 08:47:52 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

VERY true....he was so quick laterally, and instinctually anticipatory, that he "knew" exactly where to be defensively (and in rebounding), stuff you can't teach.
He was truly freaky early in his Pistons career before he became obsessed with rebounding numbers.

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 08:50:23 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
please fix Dieng's name.  It is driving me crazy.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2016, 09:37:22 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

Guy took so many charges, he did all the little things.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2016, 09:58:13 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Maybe they were mistaking Ben Wallace for Rodman?