Author Topic: Bulls Front Office: "Anything is on the table" with regard to Butler  (Read 17747 times)

Re: Bulls Front Office: "Anything is on the table" with regard to Butler
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 01:10:47 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Outside of the #1 pick or possibly even #2 pick id trade our Nets pick and Bradley for Butler.

Kind of tough though. Bradley is on a bargain deal and while hes no Jimmy Butler his contract will be half the size of his.

I'd like to keep Bradley. He'd be a great counterpunch at PG next to Butler. Butler can handle a lot of the playmaking duties.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 01:14:38 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I see a lot of "and sign Durant". I see that similarly to "and if I can just win the powerball.."

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2016, 01:18:11 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
What is the most people would give up for Butler?

I'd give up all our 1st round picks this year a future Brooklyn pick and either Avery or Olynyk. I probably would live with them dealing Smart but I wouldn't give up as many picks in that deal.

If we add Butler, I think it increases our chances of getting Horford or Durant.

Smart, Young, Rozier, Jerebko, BRK pick, DAL pick. Perhaps some additional minor draft considerations (pick swap, 2nd rounders) if needed. Could also involve Amir if Bulls want to dump a contract (Taj?).
That seems reasonable, although Bulls fans probably don't agree.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2016, 01:22:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I see a lot of "and sign Durant". I see that similarly to "and if I can just win the powerball.."

Luckily, winning the lottery this year, at least in the NBA context, is actually much more likely than that.   8)
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2016, 01:22:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I'd give up all our 1st round picks this year a future Brooklyn pick and either Avery or Olynyk. I probably would live with them dealing Smart but I wouldn't give up as many picks in that deal.

If we add Butler, I think it increases our chances of getting Horford or Durant.

Smart, Young, Rozier, Jerebko, BRK pick, DAL pick. Perhaps some additional minor draft considerations (pick swap, 2nd rounders) if needed. Could also involve Amir if Bulls want to dump a contract (Taj?).

My guess is Bulls fans would want multiple BRK picks, Smart, and Crowder.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2016, 01:27:47 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

Probably.

If CHI is open to dealing Butler, maybe you can sell them on a package of rookie-scale contracts, headlined by Smart, plus a top-5 pick and another mid-round selection. That's four cost-controlled contracts in return (I'm not counting Young).

CHI would then enter the post-Butler phase with Derrick Rose, a bunch of promising youngsters (Mirotic, Smart, Portis, and McDermott, plus Snell, Felicio, and Rozier), and three 1st round picks in the coming draft.

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2016, 01:28:15 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Bulls tell Celtics we will take your nets 1st (even if it's not top 2, and anyways Danny wouldn't give up those picks)  plus your mavs and 2 good 2nds .   And Rozier

Is this an idea, or some sort of rumor?

It's triboy's world & we're all just living in it.

I think it's insanity myself, because i think theres no way Chicago gives up a top 2 SG for a pick outsode the top 2 + scraps.

They would want a quality young player I return AND the Nets pick.

Nets + Crowder likely gets it done

Nets + Bradley might be enough to  at least start some negotiations

Nets + Smart probably won't get it done, but they might at least listen

Any less then that and they probably hang up the phone.

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2016, 01:28:54 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

My guess is Bulls fans would want multiple BRK picks, Smart, and Crowder.

Probably. Can't really see Ainge doing that, though.

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2016, 01:37:40 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Bulls tell Celtics we will take your nets 1st (even if it's not top 2, and anyways Danny wouldn't give up those picks)  plus your mavs and 2 good 2nds .   And Rozier

I think it's insanity myself, because i think theres no way Chicago gives up a top 2 SG for a pick outsode the top 2 + scraps.

Outside of top 3, I'd trade it. Otherwise, I'll keep it. That nets pick could very well be just as good as butler.

Edit: wow this was my 1000th post. My first star! Hopefully posting about the draft and getting a star on the same post means good things will happen!
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2016, 01:38:27 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
To people mentioning AB: he can't be a deal breaker but I think Danny would have to try his hardest to keep him.  His defensive skill-set is literally perfect for the current perimeter-oriented NBA and he's on a cheap contract.

I also think we could get it done without including AB.

I really like Bradley - I'm one of the few here it seems who always has.

But if i have a chance to get a young two-way star like Butler, letting Bradley go really is a no brainer.

It's like this - I absolutely love my Subaru and wouldn't sell it by choice...but if some guy says "I'll give you my 911 Turbo / Ferarri F430 for your Subaru" I'd be throwing my keys in his face.

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2016, 01:42:16 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
To people mentioning AB: he can't be a deal breaker but I think Danny would have to try his hardest to keep him.  His defensive skill-set is literally perfect for the current perimeter-oriented NBA and he's on a cheap contract.

Bradley doesn't make sense for a rebuilding team.  He has the most value for a team that might start him in a potential playoff series against the Warriors.  He has much less value for any team not in a position to do that.

The package the Bulls should ask for is the most desirable rookie-scale players, Smart and Olynyk, plus picks, including this year's Nets pick and a future Nets pick.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2016, 01:45:44 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Outside of top 3, I'd trade it. Otherwise, I'll keep it. That nets pick could very well be just as good as butler.

Edit: wow this was my 1000th post. My first star! Hopefully posting about the draft and getting a star on the same post means good things will happen!

That's true, but it could also very well be nowhere near as good as butler, even if it does fall top 2.

It's all about damage control.  Do you gamble on a draft pick that could become superstar or bust...or do you take a proven young star on a long term contract, where you know exactly what you're getting?

For example, Wiggins and Parker went #1 and #2 in the massively hyped 2014 draft.  If you had a choice to take either Wiggins, Parker or Butler right now - who would you take?  I'd take Butler over either of those two guys without a moment of hessitation.  Wiggins is a really nice player and Parker is flashing some potential, but neither looks like they will become as good all round as Butler.

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2016, 01:46:29 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

the reasons for including AB (from my perspective) are:
- Butler replicates what AB does but better. 
- AB becomes a luxury off the bench if kept, not providing a lot of minutes to really utilize his skills
- Including AB decreases the need to include a lot more assets.   If we moved AB and #3 pick, that should be enough prime assets.  Including Hunter/Young/Mickey and seconds (or the C's pick) shouldn't be a dealbreaker.
- Including AB should eliminate the need to include Smart in the deal.
- AB is pretty much just a SG.  He doesn't offer ballhandling skills like Smart so we're moving the more-limited player in terms of position.

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2016, 01:50:49 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

- AB becomes a luxury off the bench if kept, not providing a lot of minutes to really utilize his skills
- Including AB decreases the need to include a lot more assets.   If we moved AB and #3 pick, that should be enough prime assets.  Including Hunter/Young/Mickey and seconds (or the C's pick) shouldn't be a dealbreaker.
- AB is pretty much just a SG.  He doesn't offer ballhandling skills like Smart so we're moving the more-limited player in terms of position.

Id rather trade Smart then Bradley.  AB is a better player now, and there's still a big question mark over what Smarts ceiling really is.  Right now I'm not sure it's especially high.  I imagine the bulls will see it that way too, hence why i think they'd want Bradley and not Smart.

Happy to use Rozier and Turner at backup PG with Smart gone...no biggie

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2016, 02:04:43 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Id rather trade Smart then Bradley.  AB is a better player now, and there's still a big question mark over what Smarts ceiling really is.  Right now I'm not sure it's especially high.  I imagine the bulls will see it that way too, hence why i think they'd want Bradley and not Smart.

Happy to use Rozier and Turner at backup PG with Smart gone...no biggie
fair enough.  while AB is certainly the better shooter right now and showing some drives to the basket, he's not nearly as good with the ball in his hands or passing as Smart.  While he's certainly a very good defender, Smart is at least a notch above him in that regard. 

I'm not as attached to Smart as I was at the start of the season so if he's what the Bulls wanted for Butler, I'd make the deal if it was Smart and the #3 and either the C's 1st rounder/2 seconds or Young/Hunter/Mickey.   about the same as the AB deal but I think I'd look for more of a return if we traded Smart.  maybe a protected first from the Bulls or another player that's of some use.