Author Topic: Bulls Front Office: "Anything is on the table" with regard to Butler  (Read 17754 times)

Re: Bulls Front Office: "Anything is on the table" with regard to Butler
« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2016, 11:46:20 AM »

Offline SuperCeltic92

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 0
Off Season Moves:

Waive Amir Johnson

Trade - Avery Bradley, Jared Sullinger, Terry Rozier, 2016 BKN Pick, 2016 BOS Pick to Chicago Bulls for Jimmy Butler, Mike Dunleavy

Sign - Al Horford for 4 Years/$107 Million
Sign - Jamal Crawford for 2 Years/$12 Million
Sign - Terrence Jones for 4 Years/$20 Million

Draft - C Damian Jones
Draft - F Ben Bentil
Draft - G Gary Payton II

Roster:
C: Al Horford, Tyler Zeller, Damian Jones
PF: Terrence Jones, Kelly Olynyk, Ben Bentil
SF: Jae Crowder, Mike Dunleavy, James Young
SG: Jimmy Butler, Jamal Crawford, RJ Hunter
PG: Isaiah Thomas, Marcus Smart, Gary Payton II

There are so many parts to this post that are either funny or ridiculous (highlighted by the random bold font), but that is an overpay for Butler..
I'd trade Jared Sullinger. He wants a max contract, and his agent (Balk) wouldn't discuss an extension if it was anything below the max. I'm not paying him $15+ million per year.

I agree, you're overpaying for Butler. However, you will not get a young, elite player in the NBA without giving up a package of players and picks.

If you want to keep this team together, that's fine. I'm not saying let's 'blow this team up' - but we need more talent. It's becoming clearer and clearer.

- Waive Amir Johnson - Love what he contributes night in, night out for this team. However, if we want to add talent to this team, keeping Johnson at $12 million per year will hinder that.
- Waive Jonas Jerebko.
- Let Evan Turner Walk.
- Trade Jared Sullinger

Doesn't matter where we land in the lottery, I still make these moves. Sullinger, I feel we can get a 1st rounder from any team that's in the back end of the draft (15-30) and some additional pieces.

These are some players hitting free agency, that I believe, would fit in nice with our current C's.

Al Horford
Harrison Barnes
Festus Ezeli
Jamal Crawford
Terrence Jones
Dwight Powell

Potential Depth Chart:
PG - Isaiah Thomas, Marcus Smart, Terry Rozier
SG - Avery Bradley, Jamal Crawford, RJ Hunter
SF - Jae Crowder, James Young
PF - Harrison Barnes, Terrence Jones, Jordan Mickey
C - Al Horford, Kelly Olynyk, Tyler Zeller

That's a lineup, without a potential top 5 pick, and a number of other first round picks. I'd take that all day.
You are misconstruing a great deal of what Sullinger's agent said and then making that seem like those are Sullinger's demands.  Sully's agent merely said there is no point in extending a rookie contract unless it is for the max.  He never said Sullinger was demanding the max or would only accept the max.
His agent is his representative at the end of the day. I'd give Sullinger a contract similar to Amir Johnson's, 2 Years/$24 million with a team option after Year 1, but I highly doubt he and his agent would accept that. Look at similar to how the Patriots dealt with Chandler Jones, we're not going to re-sign him after next season to a contract similar to Jae Crowder's (bargain), so what's the point of keeping him around? Trade him get some pieces while you can. This has been by far his best all-around season. Another reason to trade him would be his conditioning and back problems.

This is just my opinion here. Sullinger is replaceable.
Sullinger is a free agent.  Boston can't just trade him.
Yes restricted, sign and trade?

« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2016, 11:54:39 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Off Season Moves:

Waive Amir Johnson

Trade - Avery Bradley, Jared Sullinger, Terry Rozier, 2016 BKN Pick, 2016 BOS Pick to Chicago Bulls for Jimmy Butler, Mike Dunleavy

Draft - C Damian Jones
Draft - F Ben Bentil
Draft - G Gary Payton II

Roster:

There are so many parts to this post that are either funny or ridiculous (highlighted by the random bold font), but that is an overpay for Butler..
I'd trade Jared Sullinger. He wants a max contract, and his agent (Balk) wouldn't discuss an extension if it was anything below the max. I'm not paying him $15+ million per year.

I agree, you're overpaying for Butler. However, you will not get a young, elite player in the NBA without giving up a package of players and picks.

If you want to keep this team together, that's fine. I'm not saying let's 'blow this team up' - but we need more talent. It's becoming clearer and clearer.

- Waive Amir Johnson - Love what he contributes night in, night out for this team. However, if we want to add talent to this team, keeping Johnson at $12 million per year will hinder that.
- Waive Jonas Jerebko.
- Let Evan Turner Walk.
- Trade Jared Sullinger

Doesn't matter where we land in the lottery, I still make these moves. Sullinger, I feel we can get a 1st rounder from any team that's in the back end of the draft (15-30) and some additional pieces.

These are some players hitting free agency, that I believe, would fit in nice with our current C's.

Al Horford
Harrison Barnes
Festus Ezeli
Jamal Crawford
Terrence Jones
Dwight Powell

Potential Depth Chart:

That's a lineup, without a potential top 5 pick, and a number of other first round picks. I'd take that all day.
You are misconstruing a great deal of what Sullinger's agent said and then making that seem like those are Sullinger's demands.  Sully's agent merely said there is no point in extending a rookie contract unless it is for the max.  He never said Sullinger was demanding the max or would only accept the max.
His agent is his representative at the end of the day. I'd give Sullinger a contract similar to Amir Johnson's, 2 Years/$24 million with a team option after Year 1, but I highly doubt he and his agent would accept that. Look at similar to how the Patriots dealt with Chandler Jones, we're not going to re-sign him after next season to a contract similar to Jae Crowder's (bargain), so what's the point of keeping him around? Trade him get some pieces while you can. This has been by far his best all-around season. Another reason to trade him would be his conditioning and back problems.

Isn't there some stuff in the new CBA that says you can't sign and trade? Or that it's not financially great for the player who is being traded?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2016, 12:03:18 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Off Season Moves:

Waive Amir Johnson

Draft - C Damian Jones
Draft - F Ben Bentil
Draft - G Gary Payton II

Roster:

- Waive Jonas Jerebko.
- Let Evan Turner Walk.
- Trade Jared Sullinger

Al Horford
Harrison Barnes
Festus Ezeli
Jamal Crawford
Terrence Jones
Dwight Powell

Potential Depth Chart:

Isn't there some stuff in the new CBA that says you can't sign and trade? Or that it's not financially great for the player who is being traded?

I believe that the FA can no longer sign a contract for a 5th year as part of the S&T. The 5th year is only for a FA who agrees to resign and stay with his team.

A S&T for Sully isn't improbable, but it'd take a certain set of circumstances -- and BOS likely won't get much out of it aside from a trade exception (but only if BOS would finish over the cap as part of the deal) and minor considerations (like a protected 2nd), because so many teams out there will have cap space to offer (and thus could simply sign Sully directly without going the route of a S&T).
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2016, 09:55:01 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Off Season Moves:

Waive Amir Johnson

Draft - C Damian Jones
Draft - F Ben Bentil
Draft - G Gary Payton II

Roster:

- Waive Jonas Jerebko.
- Let Evan Turner Walk.
- Trade Jared Sullinger

Al Horford
Harrison Barnes
Festus Ezeli
Jamal Crawford
Terrence Jones
Dwight Powell

Potential Depth Chart:

I believe that the FA can no longer sign a contract for a 5th year as part of the S&T. The 5th year is only for a FA who agrees to resign and stay with his team.

A S&T for Sully isn't improbable, but it'd take a certain set of circumstances -- and BOS likely won't get much out of it aside from a trade exception (but only if BOS would finish over the cap as part of the deal) and minor considerations (like a protected 2nd), because so many teams out there will have cap space to offer (and thus could simply sign Sully directly without going the route of a S&T).
exactly.  plus Sully actually has to agree to a contract with the team he is being traded to.  Sign and trading Sullinger isn't going to yield much of anything unless he works out a deal with a team that has no cap space (which there aren't many of).

I'd put the odds of a sign and trade of anything more than a trade exception or a 2nd rounder or something of similar value at less than 10%.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #109 on: May 09, 2016, 06:56:49 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
What Ainge offered at the deadline:
The Celtics offered an underwhelming package for Butler centered on reserves and picks in February. – via Chicago Tribune

I can imagine that Ainge is a frustrating person to negotiate with given his tendency to low ball offers ;D
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #110 on: May 09, 2016, 07:00:51 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
What Ainge offered at the deadline:
The Celtics offered an underwhelming package for Butler centered on reserves and picks in February. – via Chicago Tribune

I can imagine that Ainge is a frustrating person to negotiate with given his tendency to low ball offers ;D
depends what the picks were on just how underwhelming an offer it was.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #111 on: May 09, 2016, 07:37:48 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
exactly.  plus Sully actually has to agree to a contract with the team he is being traded to.  Sign and trading Sullinger isn't going to yield much of anything unless he works out a deal with a team that has no cap space (which there aren't many of).

I think it would hurt the trade were offering.   Who wants a guy who can't stay in shape?   We are one of the few teams who would have put it with that crap....

« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2016, 09:49:31 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I think this is an intertesting wrinkle in the Jimmy Butler trade talks:

https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/730377184850808832

Kurt Helin
‏@basketballtalk
Jimmy Butler to represent Chicago Bulls at NBA Draft Lottery

Of course you could spin this anyway you want, like the Bulls are showing they're committed to Butler because they want to keep him, or the Bulls are trying to show they're committed to Butler to raise the asking price.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2016, 10:00:49 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Kurt Helin
‏@basketballtalk

Of course you could spin this anyway you want, like the Bulls are showing they're committed to Butler because they want to keep him, or the Bulls are trying to show they're committed to Butler to raise the asking price.

Strange, really. If they end up trading him this off-season, it is going to look really bad. Both of your points could be correct.

« Reply #114 on: May 11, 2016, 10:05:40 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Kurt Helin
‏@basketballtalk

Hopefully (for their fans sake), it means that the franchise is actually ready to head forward with Butler as the guy and finally move on from Rose (entering his final year) & the last remnants of that era. That Butler will be front & center and they try to build around him.  Rather than totally blow the thing up and foolishly trade Butler away.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2016, 11:50:30 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

Kurt Helin
‏@basketballtalk

Hopefully (for their fans sake), it means that the franchise is actually ready to head forward with Butler as the guy and finally move on from Rose (entering his final year) & the last remnants of that era. That Butler will be front & center and they try to build around him.  Rather than totally blow the thing up and foolishly trade Butler away.
Butler is staying. I really don't see much movement this summer. Hopefully we get a top 2 pick and stay the course. Keep Amir and JJ. Sign a shooter if we lose turner.  Move up in the draft 2 twice and give up some second rounder and use one or two on a stash overseas. Make a trade at deadline if we look great.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #116 on: May 12, 2016, 12:14:30 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Go for it .

« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2016, 01:36:33 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
When they said anything, does that include waiving him, or using picks to dump his salary :-P
Banner 18 please 😍