Author Topic: Celtics are JV team of playoffs  (Read 7624 times)

Re: Celtics are JV team of playoffs
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2016, 11:17:46 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
This thread makes me laugh  ;D

Recency bias woohoo!

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2016, 10:41:40 PM »

Offline Smart457

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
Let's get this started early. Celtics peaked when Crowder was a dependable shooter and Olynyk caught fire for a stretch. Both of these guys are out of rhythm and IT can't get this done by himself. ET is put into a spot where he has to do too much. Smart can't be productive because we can't keep pace to make his defensive capabilities matter.

This team is in a whole lot of trouble if Crowder or Olynyk don't get going soon.

Could be a 4-1 and out in first round.
I still think this is true.

I somewhat wonder if this bad streak of shooting is going to have long terms effect on Crowder. This guy went from one of our most confident shooters to a guy who is thinking oh crap I'm open again.

With guys like Crowder missing and Okynyk(now he's out), we are putting even worse shooters like Smart and Jerebko in spots they have to score. It's just not happening.

Ainge did great at finding all around solid players but we need some shooters. I'll be shocked if we don't grab Ingram with a top two pick or Murray if it's pick 3-5.

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2016, 06:04:57 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I mean, sure. Without Avery and KO, and with Crowder hobbled and out of rhythm, this is a borderline playoff team. The Celts are a team that lacks shooting, and they're down two of their best shooters.

It sucks playing 82 games to see the team playing like this, but I don't think it reflects on the quality of this team at full strength.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2016, 07:34:18 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We need a solid rotation big, and some shooters.  In other words, talent.

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2016, 07:36:42 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I mean, sure. Without Avery and KO, and with Crowder hobbled and out of rhythm, this is a borderline playoff team. The Celts are a team that lacks shooting, and they're down two of their best shooters.

It sucks playing 82 games to see the team playing like this, but I don't think it reflects on the quality of this team at full strength.
I haven't looked at the other pages to see if there are other comments that share this sentiment, but it's nice to see at least one. I agree and I'll leave it at that.

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2016, 09:46:06 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Every team deals with injuries and the Celts are supposedly a deep team,  especially at guard and pf.

The fact that they're undone by Jae Crowder being hobbled a bit and Avery Bradley and Olynyk missing time should indicate that this group probably isn't as great as the best parts of this regular season may have led us to believe,  just like they weren't as good as the run they went on last year to make the playoffs.

This is a regular season team until proven otherwise.  Hopefully we will see some substantial changes, if not major upgrades, in the off season. 

Bringing the gang back again just because a superstar doesn't come our way via trade or free agency is not acceptable to me.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2016, 09:50:04 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Every team deals with injuries and the Celts are supposedly a deep team,  especially at guard and pf.

The fact that they're undone by Jae Crowder being hobbled a bit and Avery Bradley and Olynyk missing time should indicate that this group probably isn't as great as the best parts of this regular season may have led us to believe,  just like they weren't as good as the run they went on last year to make the playoffs.

This is a regular season team until proven otherwise.  Hopefully we will see some substantial changes, if not major upgrades, in the off season. 

Bringing the gang back again just because a superstar doesn't come our way via trade or free agency is not acceptable to me.

I don't know. Unless you have Lebron, it's hard to overcome the losses of multiple good rotation players.  Of course we try to upgrade in the off-season, but this isn't a bad team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2016, 10:04:37 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649

Agree.  Our second-best player is struggling, our third best player is out, and one of our most important bench pieces is out.  This is a team that needs all of its pieces to thrive. 

It's not hard to figure out why we're struggling.  We can't space the floor.  Avery and Olynyk were two of our best shooters.  Crowder shot 35% from three before the All-Star break and 29% since - which doesn't include the 2-11 he's currently sporting in this series.  As it stands right now, nobody on our team is a threat from range, except IT and Jerebko.  So Atlanta glues defenders to IT and packs everybody else into the paint.  This is why every shot near the rim is stuffed or contested - and why they seem to have the yips even on open looks. 

It is what it is.  You can't scheme around this.  Either the team snaps out of the funk, knocks down some outside shots and loosens up that defense, or they play out this string and then go home.

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2016, 10:14:42 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
With the way this team starts the game, instead of pre-game shoot around, i would do a full-on 5 on-5 game warm-ups. 

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2016, 10:21:44 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Yeah losing two of our stronger rotation shooters is killer against a defensive team as good as the Hawks.

Good defensive teams can lock down one or two things without too much trouble. If the C's can't shoot it becomes easy to pressure the ball and then rotate to pack the paint.

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2016, 10:22:04 AM »

Offline Smart457

• Al Horford

Good post. The team has been on a slow decline ever since Crowder went down and then was never the same when he returned. That was with a healthy AB and out of rhythm Olynyk. So it's not like we can scrap this up to AB and Olynyk being out. The writing has been on the wall for a while now. We lack dependable shooters. Crowder for whatever reasoned morphed into one for 3 months. Was it a fluke is the big question now. If it was a fluke, we will need to upgrade his position because his shooting is killing this team. I love Crowder and his contract so I'm hoping not.

If the playoffs started a month ago we are probably beating Atlanta easily. The Celtics peaked too early.

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2016, 10:25:33 AM »

Offline Smart457

• Al Horford

Yeah losing two of our stronger rotation shooters is killer against a defensive team as good as the Hawks.

Good defensive teams can lock down one or two things without too much trouble. If the C's can't shoot it becomes easy to pressure the ball and then rotate to pack the paint.
We are getting open looks. The shooting has just been bad.

The Hawks did everything they could to try to let the Celtics back in that game last night. The Cs just couldn't find the bottom of the hoop.

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2016, 10:28:17 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Yeah but we're talking about losing one of our best shooters at both guard and big, and Crowder's our key guy at our least deep position.  That's a lot for any team to weather, especially when our weakest skill (shooting) is our most depleted.  And as bad as we've looked for stretches we're basically just in the position of having to hold homecourt now.

I agree with all this though, we pegged the best-case scenario for this team as a 2nd round exit or fluky run to the ECF, and that's still what it looks like.  We don't need to blow it up for the sake of blowing it up but we need to address our deficiencies this offseason because even if healthy we're close to our ceiling with this bunch.

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2016, 11:08:46 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Losing Avery Bradley hurts.

His scoring is much needed, as well as his defense, but really his offensive impact in the way the he runs around screens, cuts are what we lacked. He gives the opposing team a different defensive look because he can be all over the place, we lost that.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2016, 11:43:59 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Maybe, in the long run, what's happening to this team is a good thing, because it's making certain truths clear to anyone who didn't already see them.

There's very little pure offense on this team—meaning, guys creating shots for themselves or each other, outside of points generated off turnovers. Even when everyone is healthy, this team has little in the way of good shooting; when certain guys are out, the team has zero good shooting.

Boston forced a lot of turnovers this season, which led to a lot of easy points, which probably gave the illusion that Boston was a good offensive team. But their percentages were terrible, and no one on the team strikes fear into opponents.

I'm sure Danny knows all of this; I just hope he can do something about it this summer.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis