Author Topic: Celtics wouldn't include Crowder in a deal for Butler  (Read 5029 times)

Re: Celtics wouldn't include Crowder in a deal for Butler
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 03:19:23 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Haha, wrong thread.  Ignore me!

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 03:34:29 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Kind of makes sense.  If Chicago was asking for, at a minimum, Crowder plus the 2016 BRK pick, that's quite a lot for Butler.

Crowder's a role player, but he's a very solid player at a position of scarcity, and his contract is a screaming bargain.  Maybe one of the best value non-rookie contracts in the league.

If that is all, isn't that a trade we would have to make? Must have wanted more than that for Danny to decline pursuit. I have a feeling this is the trade discussion Danny alluded to right after the deadline that was not on anyone's radar.

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 03:40:19 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Not surprised that Chicago was able to stay tough in negotiations.  It isn't Butler but Rose that they need to get rid of.  If you are Chicago, you build around Butler.

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 03:43:00 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
I thought Larbrd had proved the deal was for Okafor?

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 03:47:23 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
preliminary discussions in which Boston rejects the overtures are vastly different than Ainge saying a deal was close and the other team backed out at the last minute.  I would have thought you were better than that, but apparently not.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 04:04:04 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
preliminary discussions in which Boston rejects the overtures are vastly different than Ainge saying a deal was close and the other team backed out at the last minute.  I would have thought you were better than that, but apparently not.

relax it was a joke. let's remember we are talking about hypothetical trades that didn't actually happen.

Re: REPORT: Celtics weren't willing to trade Jae Crowder to the Bulls
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2016, 04:14:17 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
You gotta figure that Brooklyn pick more valuable now then when they made the offer and after May 17th the value may double. I wouldn't be surprised if we can work something out with Chicago and still keep Crowder. I'm sure Butler would love to play along side Crowder again.

I disagree with this view as I doubt the value of the Brooklyn pick has changed much.

The Nets pick has been in 3/4 just about all of January and February, the same place it is in now.  By the deadline (when I imagine this conversation happened), I'm sure most of the league execs knew Joe Johnson would be bought out too.   Only Minny was a threat to the bottom 4, and they were still 3 games up on Brooklyn at the deadline.

Sure if the Nets finish worse than the Suns, the value of the pick has probably increased marginally.  But the value of the pick isn't really going to change until the draft lottery happens and teams know for sure if the pick will be #1 or #7 or somewhere in between.  I don't think the odds have shifted much since the deadline.

and after May 17th the value may double.

Or the value may plummet.

That's the thing, if you have an asset that could be worth $100 in 3 months or it could be worth $0, then it's okay to sell it for $50 now.  You miss out on the upside, but you also protect yourself from the downside.

I personally think just the Brooklyn pick and Crowder for Butler would be a good deal for Boston (though I imagine Chicago was asking for multiple Brooklyn picks).  Of course if the pick ends up being #1-#2 I'd be screaming for Danny's head.  If it the pick lands at #6-#7, wow another heist by Danny!  At #3-#5 that's a good deal for the C's.  Though I'd love to see Butler and Crowder play together on the wings, if we had to trade a key player to get Butler I'd prefer Bradley or Smart (which of course is why the Bulls want Crowder).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2016, 04:24:43 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Kinda ridiculous to say the 5th or 6th in the draft would make its value worthless.  It would be better to say its value is 100, could do to 500, or fall to 75.

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2016, 11:12:34 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I think it was what beat writers wanted in Cleveland for their star. Which was Crowder, Smart, filler and both Brooklyn picks.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 11:38:28 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2016, 11:56:15 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Butler's knee scares me, some.

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2016, 12:44:21 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I think it was what beat writers wanted in Cleveland for their star. Which was Crowder, Smart, filler and both Brooklyn picks.

LOL to that.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2016, 02:23:45 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

relax it was a joke. let's remember we are talking about hypothetical trades that didn't actually happen.

If anything, this just backs up that ainge wasn't referring to Butler.  Also keep in mind that the source who said Boston inquired about Butler is the same source who confirmed Ainge was talking about Okafor when he said a deal was close and the other team backed out.   It is what it is, man.  I get why people here are down on Okafor, but I would be pretty excited about adding a 20 year old center coming off a rookie season nearly averaging 20 and 10.   His defense stinks, but aspects of that can he taught.

As far as Butler goes, it would be cool to have him but I think he's a bit overrated.  I said in a thread yesterday that Boston could technically trade for butler and still have max cap room for two more stars (Durant and horford for instance) + keep their pick (hopefully ben Simmons) + have max cap room summer 2017 to add another max contract when the cap jumps another 20 mil.   The only issue with that pipe dream is that you'd have to send out equal salary to grab butler which means you'd probably have to trade Bradley + crowder + picks.   You could probably do it without crowder (and include better picks), but you'd have to send a combo of players like olynyk and smart just to meet salary.   Of course, if the team has no interest in preserving double max cap space this doesn't matter.  You could flat out just send them picks and absorb butler with some of the cap space. 

Should be a super exciting offseason. We have a ton of options.

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2016, 02:30:42 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

LOL to that.
I totally agree. But most these teams ask for ridiculous prices in middle of season unless it's a lower level player and a team wants to tank. In which case you get a decent player for a low first (Moz/IT) or huge overpays (melo). If a team actually ask for the moon you at the very least know that player is probably available in the off season. The whole situation is like buying a motorcycle or convertible depending on when you buy means a lot on price.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 02:41:06 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2016, 04:09:19 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Isaiah
Butler
Crowder

Bradley 6th man

Isaiah
Bradley
Butler
Crowder at the 4 small ball
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio