Author Topic: What if: Nets call asking our interest in Lopez  (Read 3288 times)

What if: Nets call asking our interest in Lopez
« on: April 12, 2016, 05:35:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Say the Nets decide to really start over before the draft and call up Ainge and make the following offer:

Johnson, Jerekbo, Dallas, Boston

for

Lopez

Do you do it?  Boston doesn't really need the mid 1st rounders but would lose cap flexibility.  I suspect Brooklyn would keep all 4 players so they would get a lot of depth (though no one as good as Lopez), which may hurt our future picks (or it might not).  So is that a trade you make before the draft.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 06:56:22 PM by Roy H. »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Nets call asking our interest in Lopez
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 05:38:35 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
His foot issues still worry me, and I don't think he's a great fit for the rest of the roster.  Not sure our guys make him better or that he makes our guys better.

Lopez isn't the sort of guy I want the Celts going after unless they've already added another superior talent on the wing or at PF first.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 05:46:42 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Probably. There's some risk, and there are other guys I prefer, but he's a legit talent.  It also hurts the Nets the next two seasons, which helps our picks.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 05:46:51 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I would give up the package indicated for Lopez.  I don't expect that he would transcend the team but for Johnson and Jerebko plus two not so hot picks?

I think even the Nets could find a better trade than this though.

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 05:52:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Just for reference, here is how the Celts and Nets rank in pace over the last three seasons:

Celts

15-16: 3rd, 101.3
14-15: 5th, 98.4
13-14: 15th, 95.9

Nets

15-16: 21st, 97.4
14-15: 24th, 95.0
13-14: 25th, 93.7

Also:

Consider where the Celts rank in Defensive Rebound Rate this season . . . tied for 22nd.

In Defensive Rebound Percentage, Brook Lopez ranks 47th out of 53 players at C or PF/C who played at least 40 games and averaged at least 16 minutes per game with a DRB% of 17.2.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 05:57:29 PM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 05:56:41 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I'd be really tempted to string them along and then not make the deal at the last minute  :police:

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 06:17:29 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Not a big Lopez fan, but that would be pretty good value, would be hard to turn it down.

Definitely not a cap guy, so would Boston still be able to sign two max guys in free agency?  With the C position locked up, do you still go after Horford to play PF?  Would Lopez and Horford play well together (seems slow and would struggle to guard any stretch 4/5's)?  If you don't go after Horford because of Lopez, is there another max guy outside of Durant worth pursuing?  I can only think of DeRozen but don't think he's likely to switch teams.

If the C's couldn't sign 2 max guys, or Lopez and Horford can't play together, then this also leads to the question would you rather have Lopez or Horford?  I have a feeling the vast majority of this blog is saying Horford, but they've both missed the same number of seasons due to injury, Lopez is 2 years younger and has better individual stats.  Also it's probably much better value having Lopez for 2 years at 20m per (through age 30), instead of having Horford for 4 seasons at 25m per (through age 34).  Whatever happens, I have serious doubts that Horford will be worth anything close to  the money he's getting at the end of his contract.  Having Lopez would also improve the team if they strike out in free agency.

Not a Lopez fan, but I don't think you can turn that deal down.  Preferably, I'd hope Danny could pull off a bigger trade using those picks (plus other assets) to get somebody like Butler, Cousins, or Griffin, etc.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 06:33:33 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
His foot issues still worry me, and I don't think he's a great fit for the rest of the roster.  Not sure our guys make him better or that he makes our guys better.

Lopez isn't the sort of guy I want the Celts going after unless they've already added another superior talent on the wing or at PF first.

What's it mean to make other players better? I've seen this sorta quote a lot when it comes to evaluating players. Lopez is a presence down low that would command double teams, leaving guys in the perimeter open for shots. wouldnt that make our guys better in the scenario?

lopez is a potent offensive big man, with serious class, and good locker room personality. from what i could gather from nets fans here in brooklyn, his biggest issues are intangibles (i.e, he doesnt get angry, he's too soft etc.). he has good range for a big, great FT%, subpar rebounding, and nagging health concerns (although he's played 70+ games the last 2 seasons).

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 06:42:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

What's it mean to make other players better?

Basically, it means that a player's presence on the floor makes it easier for other guys on the team to do what they do well, and lessens the need for the other players to do things they do not do well.

Lopez is a plodding post-up big who needs lots of touches in the paint.  The Celts have built a team that gets by offensively despite a lack of overall talent by playing really fast and keeping the ball moving, or when all else fails, spacing the floor and letting Isaiah or ET attack the basket.  It's hard to see how Lopez would fit into that.

Brook doesn't really help the Celts in their weakest areas, either.  He's a poor defensive rebounder and he doesn't shoot the three.  He gets to the line five times a game, which is good, but not as much as you'd probably like to see from a guy who takes 16 shots a game and uses lots of possessions for post-ups.

I like Brook.  I think he's a good player.  I'd be happy to see him on a team with a chance of doing something in the playoffs.

For the Celts, I'd much rather have his brother.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 07:02:25 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I tell him"NO!" and change my phone number.

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 07:11:55 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I don't know. It's good value, but I think Lopez is very overrated and really doesn't fit what we need. Our ideal big is mobile, young, athletic, a defensive anchor, a rim-runner, and does not need offense designed for him. That is essentially the opposite of Lopez (and it's basically a description of Nerlens Noel), and that's not even taking the foot issues into account.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 07:12:39 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
It would depend. It's a decent deal. Team could lose Sully and Turner so I'm for adding Young and Lopez if the price is right and FA is a bust.

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 07:14:01 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
First, I thought the thread title meant the Nets have called.  :P

Second, his offensive and rebounding talents are tantalizing, but I don't trust him with his injury history.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 07:19:26 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Just for reference, here is how the Celts and Nets rank in pace over the last three seasons:

Celts

15-16: 3rd, 101.3
14-15: 5th, 98.4
13-14: 15th, 95.9

Nets

15-16: 21st, 97.4
14-15: 24th, 95.0
13-14: 25th, 93.7

Also:

Consider where the Celts rank in Defensive Rebound Rate this season . . . tied for 22nd.

In Defensive Rebound Percentage, Brook Lopez ranks 47th out of 53 players at C or PF/C who played at least 40 games and averaged at least 16 minutes per game with a DRB% of 17.2.
This.

I might be interested in a plodding center if he could anchor a defense, gobble up rebounds, and throw break-starting outlet passes but I don't know that Lopez checks any of those boxes.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 07:23:17 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Would rather save those trade pieces for something more exciting. Even if I had to add more to land that bigger fish.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague