Author Topic: Would you trade for Okafor now  (Read 1515 times)

Would you trade for Okafor now
« on: April 11, 2016, 11:29:31 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 Hard to imagine that Okafor would not help this team. Big Al showed us what time it is every time it started getting close.
 What an advantage to have a big guy that can get a hoop anytime he wants one on one. Okafor would be a huge get for this team IMHO.

Re: Would you trade for Okafor now
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 11:52:43 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I just want Colangelo trying to deal with Ainge, just in general

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 12:37:53 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Oh come on now, Old Jerry is not getting ripped off by anyone period. If there was a deal it would be fairly fair on both sides.

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 12:45:34 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Why are there 4 Okafor threads circulating? Do we want him this bad?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 12:53:43 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

I do man. 17 ppg 7 rog 1 bpg as a 20 year old rookie, where do I sign up. People call him Al Jefferson, great. Give me a 20 year old Big Al on this team and I'm stoked.

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 01:26:03 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
No way, in the historical bad 76er team someone will get numbers afterall
If you put Fab melo in it he may gets the same number as Oakfor

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 01:47:59 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Why are there 4 Okafor threads circulating? Do we want him this bad?

I asked for them to be merged because people are making a new one every three days right now and it is ridiculous if we absolutely need to let's just sticky one

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 02:26:29 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Hard to imagine that Okafor would not help this team. Big Al showed us what time it is every time it started getting close.
 What an advantage to have a big guy that can get a hoop anytime he wants one on one. Okafor would be a huge get for this team IMHO.

That's less because of how effective Jefferson is, and more because of how utterly horrendous out interior defence is.

People on here always talk about how good Sullinger is as a post defender, but in ever game I have watched lately he seems to be getting absolutely dominated every time the opponent takes him down there.

Jefferson destoyed him.  Bogut shot straight over him as if he wasn't even there.  JV seemed to do the same when we played Toronto.  I feel like any time we play against a team we a half capable post scorer, Sully gets absolutely slaughtered.  Hell the only reason he didn't get killed in Atlanta is because Horford has turned into a jump shooter and didn't even try posting him up - otherwise I'm sure Horford would have killed him too.

Seems the only time our post defence is half respectable is when Amir Johnson is out there.  Olynyk does a half decent job sometimes too.  Sully just gets killed.

As for the original question - no, I would not trade for Okafor.  He has an impressive post game, but he's a knucklehead, he is a sucky rebounder, he has no jumpshot, he's a mediocre passer, and he's a terrible defender. 

At this point in time his overall game is too flawed for him to be a starter on anything but a bottom 5-10 team.  That might (or might not) change in the future, but the cost of acquiring him would be WAY too high given the high level or risk associated. 

We would be much better off going after a guy like Greg Monroe who is also a good post scorer, but has a much better all round game (better rebounded, passer, jump shooter and defender) while also not being a head-case.  Also the cost of acquiring Monroe would likely be significantly lower. 

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 03:59:36 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

This is why I was pushing so hard for us to go after a guy who can dominate the paint (Greg Monroe, Dwight Howard, etc) at the trade deadline.

People always talk about how much the NBA has gone away from old-school "inside scoring" centers, and insist that any big man who can't shoot a jumper us useless in this NBA. 

What these people fail to understand is that (as will always be the case) you need balance.  It's too easy to defend a team that has only one dimension to it's offence. 

* Build a team filled with shooters...the defence will just tighten up on the perimeter, and you won't be able to score

* Build a team that can only score in the post...the defense will sag off the outside shooters and help on the post, and you won't be able to get the space you need to score.

You need balance:
* You need capable outside shooters to punish the D if they sag off and try to double in the paint
* You need slashers to punish the D if they play you too tightly on the perimeter
* You need paint/post scorers to punish the D if they don't double team you down low

You need to put the opponent in a position where they have to pick their poison.

This is why teams like the Spurs and the Warriors are so incredibly strong.  You cannot sag off on their outside shooters or they will kill you.  If you play them too tight, guys like Parker / Curry can blow by you and get into the paint off the dribble.  If you don't defend the paint, then guys like Duncan, Aldridge, Bogut and Draymond Green can kill you in the paint.  There is no "easy way" to defend those teams, and that's why they are so bloomin' hard to stop.

Charlotte did a similar thing to us today, because if we focussed on their shooters Jefferson killed us in the paint...and if we doubled Jefferson they got open looks on the perimeter and killed us with three's.  Walker and Lin can also get into the paint, so you have to respect the drive too.  That balanced attack allows them to be a strong team, despite lack of outright talent.

The one thing we really lack on this team (offensively) is a post presence.  We really don't have a single consistent post threat on the roster - the closest would be Sully and Amir, and neither of those guys is really a guy you can go to in the post.

That said, I don't believe that a guy like Okafor is the answer.  While he does provide the post scoring, he also has a lot of major weaknesses that the opponents can flaunt all day long.  For every possession where he helps you with his inside game, there will be two or three where he will hurt you in other ways.

If we can't find a post scorer in the draft with one of our picks, then the best option is to go for an established vet who has a proven ability to score in the paint, while also being solid enough all-round to not kill us in other areas.

Howard could be such a guy, but I am concerned about both his attitude and his longevity...hence why I keep coming back to Monroe. 

There aren't that many traditional post up guys in the NBA, Mornoe is one such guy, and he also happens to be young enough to grow with the team, good enough all-round to not introduce major liabilities in other areas, and has a good enough attitude and health record to not pose a risk to chemistry.

He's a much better player right now than Okafor is, and would likely be cheaper to acquire too.

If there are other guys out there who people think can offer post scoring without a huge cost, a without a high risk, and without being a major liability in other areas...then I'd be open to those options too.  He's just the first guy that comes to mind for me.

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 04:13:22 AM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22
If we went through this whole Brooklyn standings watch and it results in us getting Okafor I'll be depressed. He is not a transcendental player. I'd honestly rather take my chances with the Dragon (Dragan Bender) or even Jaylen Brown.