Author Topic: Forget Bender, Draft Ante Zizic  (Read 20905 times)

Re: Forget Bender, Draft Ante Zizic
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2017, 07:49:10 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
To be fair to Bender, it isn't like he's had much of a chance so far, he's been injured. Big year for him though if he wants to prove his lottery value.

He just was not physically ready when he entered the league, too weak and too skinny, those are things he can improve.  But some guys thought he was going to be great out of the gate, I don't know how one would think that if they watched any tape of him, unless they did not have their glasses on.

« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2017, 09:27:29 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
To be fair to Bender, it isn't like he's had much of a chance so far, he's been injured. Big year for him though if he wants to prove his lottery value.

Living in Phoenix, i can tell you most of Suns Nation already considers him a bust. Never shows a thing ever, Regular league garbage time, SL, always looks lost and terrible.

He probably wont get a second NBA contract..

« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2017, 11:59:56 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Living in Phoenix, i can tell you most of Suns Nation already considers him a bust. Never shows a thing ever, Regular league garbage time, SL, always looks lost and terrible.

He probably wont get a second NBA contract..
Admittedly I was on the hype train for him. What was recognised was that his body had a long way to go before he was ready. His upside was his versatility which I think is still there. It will probably be his 3rd year before he really hits his stride as a player, at the moment it looks like that won't be a problem in Phoenix but things can change quickly. I do think he will need to show good progress this year, Porzingis has shown you can make an impact even if your body isn't quite there so the pressure is on.

Remember that he is the same age as some of the guys coming out of this years draft, he's actually half a year younger than Josh Jackson and only 4 months older than Tatum. It doesn't justify such a high draft spot but it should tell you that he will need time to prove his place in the league. When he initially declared for the draft I thought it might be as a draft and stash but unfortunately he didn't seem interested in that.

« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2017, 12:26:31 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

He just was not physically ready when he entered the league, too weak and too skinny, those are things he can improve.  But some guys thought he was going to be great out of the gate, I don't know how one would think that if they watched any tape of him, unless they did not have their glasses on.

I think it was the Porzingis effect.

« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2017, 02:00:21 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

No one, even I as a Croat, thought he would contribute right away. He was the 2nd youngest guy in the last years draft after a "redshirt" year in Maccabi. He is 19 now, 19.
What are Dunn or Bryce Johnson? Prospects aged 24 (LOL) 4,5 years older than him, didn't show anything. Can we make a thread about them being busts? Chriss? Just an athlete, not an ounce of basketball feel in him. Like I am looking a soccer goalkeeper or a swimmer on the court (exaggurating to prove a point). Leave Bender alone with 5 years of the biggest development years in front of him. Jump on these old (usually American) underwhelmers, not on 19 year olds.

Euro is coming, Bender will get a chance there.
Maybe that would give him some increased PT and confidence at senior level.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2017, 02:38:42 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

No one, even I as a Croat, thought he would contribute right away. He was the 2nd youngest guy in the last years draft after a "redshirt" year in Maccabi. He is 19 now, 19.
What are Dunn or Bryce Johnson? Prospects aged 24 (LOL) 4,5 years older than him, didn't show anything. Can we make a thread about them being busts? Chriss? Just an athlete, not an ounce of basketball feel in him. Like I am looking a soccer goalkeeper or a swimmer on the court (exaggurating to prove a point). Leave Bender alone with 5 years of the biggest development years in front of him. Jump on these old (usually American) underwhelmers, not on 19 year olds.

Euro is coming, Bender will get a chance there.
Maybe that would give him some increased PT and confidence at senior level.

Andro, I hear you he needs Time the original point was why Gamble on this kid with the third pick when at #23 we can get another Euro, almost the same age, who is about 260 pounds, tough, strong, and ready to play now, that has a defined role.

« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2017, 03:13:00 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I was sold on him as #3, our last years pick. I also thought we needed 3/4 years for contending at the time. But Horford signed, the east got weaker, Hayward came, east got weaker and LBJ phoned to his beloved fans that he will leave them once more, making the east - weaker in the future. BTW, Clevelands 11 LBJ years with just a single title is a weak score on my book. When you are having the best player of the generation, you got to squeeze out more juice from that. We would get 5-6 with him in that span.
Now, Bender doesn't look like he would be a good 3rd pick for us after these events. Žižić looks to have a true 5 role. His upside is limited, but as you said, his role is easy to define. Big that sets screens and controls the defensive glass. It might sound simple unspectacular, or shallow, but we need it. That was our weakness last year. Bender can't solve those issues even if he turns out to be a good NBA player.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2017, 05:58:22 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Zizic is no Bill Walton ,  but At least he is built tuff and tuff minded , so he should be servicable center .   Bender just looks frail and like a bad knee injury waiting to happen.