Author Topic: 2016 Red Sox Regular Season  (Read 53724 times)

Re: 2016 Red Sox Regular Season
« Reply #120 on: June 01, 2016, 08:39:55 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Mookie is silly hot!

Indeed he is!

But Joe Kelly is not.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #121 on: June 01, 2016, 08:57:03 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Mookie is silly hot!

Indeed he is!

But Joe Kelly is not.

Clay's trip to the bullpen may not last that long.

« Reply #122 on: June 01, 2016, 09:05:53 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Mookie is silly hot!

Indeed he is!

But Joe Kelly is not.

The pitching tonight has given me a headache... if we had the 13 staff with this lineup this team would be unstoppable. Cherrington really messed up. Didn't we get Kelly in a trade for Lackey?

« Reply #123 on: June 01, 2016, 09:14:42 PM »

• Satch Sanders
Mookie is silly hot!

Indeed he is!

But Joe Kelly is not.

The pitching tonight has given me a headache... if we had the 13 staff with this lineup this team would be unstoppable. Cherrington really messed up. Didn't we get Kelly in a trade for Lackey?

I believe so. Strange to think that right now Boston could have a rotation of Price, Lester, Lackey, E-Rod, and either Porcello or Wright.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #124 on: June 02, 2016, 08:27:51 PM »

• Satch Sanders
So, it seems Porcello is reverting to his old self. And Ubaldo Jimenez has been struggling mightily of late, so of course he's shutting down the Sox.  ::)

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #125 on: June 02, 2016, 08:44:56 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
So, it seems Porcello is reverting to his old self. And Ubaldo Jimenez has been struggling mightily of late, so of course he's shutting down the Sox.  ::)

You were saying?

« Reply #126 on: June 02, 2016, 09:32:46 PM »

• Satch Sanders

You were saying?

Ha! Yeah, guess I spoke too soon about Jimenez.

Of course, Porcello turned right around and gave the lead back, and Ross and Taz have crapped the bed.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #127 on: June 02, 2016, 09:40:38 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley

You were saying?

Of course, Porcello turned right around and gave the lead back, and Ross and Taz have crapped the bed.

Pen has been awful this last week. Taz especially

« Reply #128 on: June 02, 2016, 09:48:19 PM »

• Satch Sanders

You were saying?

Pen has been awful this last week. Taz especially

Particularly awful against Baltimore, which doesn't even have a great lineup.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #129 on: August 15, 2016, 12:20:21 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Redsox look like they have an incredible future

Outfield is set  unless Jackie Bradley Jr. falls on his face. His BA has decreased month by month since that ridiculous hitting streak he was on.   He is batting about .283  and hopefully he can maintain this avg for the rest of this season.  I would be satisfied if he can bat this avg for the rest of his career.   Terrific outfielder . Gold Glove

Betts is just incredible. For a 5'9 player he is doing it all right now. Hitting for avg and power.  He is on his way to bat over .300, 25 home runs, 100 RBIs, 25 steals.   Terrific outfielder

With Benintendi  you get that same feeling you had when Pedroia first came into the league.  Special player.  Incredible what he has been able to do in such a short time. And also jumping straight to the Majors from AA.   Special hitter that can hit every kind of pitch to all parts of the field.  Very good outfielder

At the infield Moncada (practicing at 3b at the minor league leavel) , Xander, Pedroia, Ramirez (resurgence)  look like locks.  Travis Shaw and Holt are the extra utility players.  Depending on how Shaw progresses (hot at the start of the year and has cooled off as of late) , Ramirez could take over Ortiz at the DH spot

Good depth at the catching position also. Swihart is injured but is suppose to be the future long term catcher

Now where the problem is , is at the Pitching position.  Redsox have drafted poorly for the most part.  Lack depth at the minor league level.  Henry Owens a few years ago considered a top prospect has fell on his face.    He is tall , has a good makeup, can throw several pitches with good accuracy, but has a so so MPH fastball and also lacks strength to finish games/that extra to get out of jams.   He needs to really improve his conditioning/add muscle.   

Redsox starting

Price (Not dominant as years past. And unluckily lacking bat support for some reason.  Needs to fine tune off speed pitches and able to throw for strikes instead of depending on the fastball too much)
Porcello (candidate to win CY young award.  incredible turnaround. Has put it all together)
Wright (What a surprise. Needs to improve on conditioning)

Kimbrel look solid as the closer.

Relief pitching department has been brutal all season long.   One area that needs to improve (likely from FA)

I hope the sox can make the playoffs this season , so that we can see clutch "Ortiz" do his magic before he retires.   

« Reply #130 on: August 15, 2016, 02:02:14 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The Sox young outfield + Xander is nutso, but they're leading the entire MLB by a significant margin in runs scored this season and there's still a solid chance they won't even get a Wild Card spot.

Really tough to have such weak pitching year after year.  But they should be fun and score lots of runs for at least the next 5 years, at least.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #131 on: September 03, 2016, 12:35:22 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
If anyone is watching redsox and oakland, some dude has been loudly heckling for about 3 innings straight. Pretty funny, you can hear him pretty clearly. Super Drunk.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #132 on: September 03, 2016, 08:12:14 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The Sox young outfield + Xander is nutso, but they're leading the entire MLB by a significant margin in runs scored this season and there's still a solid chance they won't even get a Wild Card spot.

Really tough to have such weak pitching year after year.  But they should be fun and score lots of runs for at least the next 5 years, at least.
It just looks like pitchers forget how to pitch the instant they don the Red Sox uniform. Insane.

Also, I can't get over Farrell pinch-running Steven Wright. Way to ruin a guy's season.  >:( >:( >:(
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #133 on: September 03, 2016, 12:36:31 PM »

• Satch Sanders

It just looks like pitchers forget how to pitch the instant they don the Red Sox uniform. Insane.

Also, I can't get over Farrell pinch-running Steven Wright. Way to ruin a guy's season.  >:( >:( >:(

True on both counts.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #134 on: September 03, 2016, 01:11:45 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

True on both counts.

Farrell drives me nuts more than anything.  Either he is the most snake bitten manager in the history of in game management or he just flat out blows.  I lean towards the latter.

Agreed that pitching is their achilles heel although I will admit I was dead wrong on Porcello. I absolutely slammed the Sox when they made that signing.   He's been quite the positive this season. 

Lastly, just let Moncada go out there & do his thing.  Get out of the way.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team