Author Topic: 2016 Red Sox Regular Season  (Read 53694 times)

Re: 2016 Red Sox Regular Season
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2016, 07:50:23 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Hanley seems to be settling in at first base, which would be excellent. Seems to help his bat, and defensively, i like 3rd basemen switcging to 1b in general.

« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2016, 08:07:15 AM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
Kulpa sends the Sox into second place with his biased crazy strike zone.  He is a disgrace to mlb umpires and baseball in general.  Does the league ever fine or penalize umpires for bad games?  Because this game was the most poorly umpired game behind the plate I have ever witnessed.

« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2016, 12:05:51 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Kulpa sends the Sox into second place with his biased crazy strike zone.  He is a disgrace to mlb umpires and baseball in general.  Does the league ever fine or penalize umpires for bad games?  Because this game was the most poorly umpired game behind the plate I have ever witnessed.
Looked good to me. Miller has a killer angle going
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2016, 12:22:29 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Looked good to me. Miller has a killer angle going

The 3-1 pitch was close.  The catcher made it look bad.  The 3-2 pitch was clearly too low and it appeared as though Kulpa called it a strike to be vindictive.  Ortiz overreacts to bad calls, but Kulpa's reaction to that is unacceptable. 

« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2016, 12:25:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I honestly don't understand why umpires are even needed anymore. Why not have a universal strike zone? They can show me on the broadcast if the pitch was a strike or not immediately after its thrown. Why take an umpires word for it?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2016, 12:31:52 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I honestly don't understand why umpires are even needed anymore. Why not have a universal strike zone? They can show me on the broadcast if the pitch was a strike or not immediately after its thrown. Why take an umpires word for it?

Yeah, computers showed the ball almost six inches out of the zone. The ump got 31 of the called strike calls wrong, which is crazy.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 01:04:56 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2016, 12:51:53 PM »

Offline Smart457

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
Strike 2 was a strike. Right?

I've seen a replay and it catches the corner but it doesn't show the height. The ball does appear to drop in over Pappi's knees.

Does anyone have one of those diagrams the tv broadcast uses to show where the ball crossed?

« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2016, 01:25:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Both calls were egregiously bad and should have caused the tying run to come in. The third  strike could have been thrown straight into the Yankees dugout and it was still going to be called a strike though. Pretty long tradition in baseball where if you complain too much or show up an umpire on a called strike where the next pitch is going to be called a strike no matter where it is. You learn all the way back in Little League to swing and make contact on that next pitch no matter what because its going to be a strike. That doesn't make it right, but its been happening in baseball all the way down to the Little League level forever.

« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2016, 01:48:53 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

Yeah, computers showed the ball almost six inches out of the zone. The ump got 31 of the called strike calls wrong, which is crazy.

This is why I swore OFF baseball until they start using the computer to call balls and strikes.  I was watching Boston play St. Louis in the World Series in St. Louis and I think we were up 2-1 and I literally watched about 40 to 50 strike/ball calls go against us to give the Cardinals that game.  I swore that I would NEVER watch a baseball game again until they started using the technology that tennis has been using up to that point for about two stinking decades and I have stood by that.  I didn't even see us win the Series.  I am thrilled that we overcame the fix and won again, but the game lost all integrity in my mind at that point.

BTW, I rarely EVER watched games in the regular season, but would watch IF the Sox were in the playoffs.  So, I doubt baseball is missing me too much:-)))

Smitty77

« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2016, 02:37:15 PM »

Offline Smart457

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
Both calls were egregiously bad and should have caused the tying run to come in. The third  strike could have been thrown straight into the Yankees dugout and it was still going to be called a strike though. Pretty long tradition in baseball where if you complain too much or show up an umpire on a called strike where the next pitch is going to be called a strike no matter where it is. You learn all the way back in Little League to swing and make contact on that next pitch no matter what because its going to be a strike. That doesn't make it right, but its been happening in baseball all the way down to the Little League level forever.
I disagree. The replay showed the ball cross the corner of the plate and the ball also appears over Papi's knees. Even the sox announcers today said it was a nasty pitch and probably a strike. The third strike is the pitch that was grossly called a strike even tho it was 5 inches too low but the second strike was a strike.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 02:49:10 PM by Smart457 »

« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2016, 03:25:50 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324

Well, there is a universal strike zone, clearly outline in the rulebook, but each umpire has his own "interpretation" of the strike zone. In this regard, MLB is asinine; they officially define a strike zone but then let each ump have his own "version" of it.

We've got the technology now; MLB should use it to get every call right, and they can still have an ump stand behind home plate to yell out the calls as they're transmitted from a computerized system to an earpiece he's wearing (plus he'd still make calls on plays at the plate).
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2016, 03:34:18 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
So, who's worried about Price?
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2016, 04:23:54 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
So, who's worried about Price?

I suspect he will be fine.

This is a guy who was the first pick in the draft and has always been outstanding.  He has good velocity, control, and quality pitches with an easy throwing motion.  His velocity has dipped this year, but his big problem has been his command which has been inconsistent from game to game.  There was no indication of this problem last year.  I think this is just a slow start exacerbated by a cold Spring.  I think we (Red Sox fans that is) will love him in a month or two. 

« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2016, 08:46:44 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
This Sox offense is something else

« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2016, 09:26:08 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
5 innings into the last game of the series vs the As and the Sox have scored 37 runs in this series.. they still have 4 more innings to go in the series...40+ coming?

Also JBJ is literally on fire