Author Topic: 2016 Red Sox Regular Season  (Read 53707 times)

Re: 2016 Red Sox Regular Season
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 06:51:19 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Pretty much a picture perfect recipe for worst case opening day doom and gloom.  Maybe Hanley running off the bases thinking there were 3 outs or Sandoval showing up in a dump uniform?

Yeah, it really couldn't have been much worse, if any. Thing is, they started off strong with 3 runs in the first, and Hanley looked like an actual first baseman.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2016, 09:19:16 PM »

• Satch Sanders
So, don't know if anyone else is following tonight's game, but Buchholz has already given up a 2-run lead ... twice.

This pitching staff is miserable.

It's early, I know, but it seems to me that even if Price gets 25 more starts and throws 25 perfect games, this team is going to struggle to crack .500.

Oh, look—Buchholz just surrendered another run.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 09:35:55 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
So, don't know if anyone else is following tonight's game, but Buchholz has already given up a 2-run lead ... twice.

This pitching staff is miserable.

It's early, I know, but it seems to me that even if Price gets 25 more starts and throws 25 perfect games, this team is going to struggle to crack .500.

Oh, look—Buchholz just surrendered another run.

Yeah the pitching staff is a complete joke... we can't rely on any lead, and the offense has actually been great...the pitching is just that bad. It's actually been worse than I expected, every starter has had a meltdown thus far in at least one game...

Price will bounce back but I have no faith in anyone else. It's like a #1 and a bunch of 4-5s. Can we get Lackey back? Thanks Cherington

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 09:40:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Alright, yeah, I'm already starting to give up hope given what the pitching has done so far.  This team needs more than just a PRICEY ace to fix things.

Quite a mess Ben left.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 09:46:31 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
So, the Sox still suck. Price is awesome, and I'm glad we have him, but it turns out you need more than one starting pitcher.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 09:49:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
So, another year where the team is near the top of the league in offense but is absolutely bottom of the barrel in terms of starter ERA and overall pitching.

Guess it shouldn't be a surprise.  2013 was flukey at best and this team is a long way off from sustainable success.  I'm losing faith in ownership to institute the changes necessary to fix things.  They've got all this young positional talent but it doesn't translate to wins because everywhere else is horrendous.

Well hey, at least we get the David Ortiz retirement tour mentioned at every turn.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 09:59:48 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
So, another year where the team is near the top of the league in offense but is absolutely bottom of the barrel in terms of starter ERA and overall pitching.

Guess it shouldn't be a surprise.  2013 was flukey at best and this team is a long way off from sustainable success.  I'm losing faith in ownership to institute the changes necessary to fix things.  They've got all this young positional talent but it doesn't translate to wins because everywhere else is horrendous.

Well hey, at least we get the David Ortiz retirement tour mentioned at every turn.
The staff was pretty good in 13. Lester and Lackey were a formidable 1-2, and Buchholz had a great season (before he was shut down as part of his yearly tradition of course).

This staff sucks, it's that simple. Have to give Dombrowski more time though, he's working with the epic fail that Cherington left behind. If anything, this team has more bright spots than not...good young players, great offense,an ace, pretty decent bullpen (outside of these past two games). The problem is that pitching is such a huge part of the game, that when you have such a bad staff not much else matters.

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2016, 10:00:45 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

It doesn't look good now, but if the following things occcur, we could be just fine.

1. E-Rod and Carson Smith get healthy.
2. We trade for a number 2 or 3 arm without losing any of the big four prospects, giving us a rotation of Price-Trade-Rodriguez-Buchholz-Porcello/Owens/Johnson. We could either move Johnson/Owens and use Porcello, or move Porcello and use the young guys. With Kelly, Taz, Uehara, Smith, and Kimbrel in the bullpen, we'd be in pretty good shape.

Things look bad now, but they could turn around very quickly.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 10:06:30 PM by max215 »
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2016, 10:32:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Things could easily turn around and we're 7 games into an absurdly long season.

It's just hard not to get that "Here we go again" feeling seeing how the last few years have gone.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2016, 10:34:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
offense is there but pitching is brutal to the max

Bucholz needs to be traded for a bag of balls. SEriously. we need Erod back ASAP

Price
Erod
Porcello
Kellyl
Wright

Please!

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2016, 10:43:16 PM »

• Satch Sanders

It doesn't look good now, but if the following things occcur, we could be just fine.

1. E-Rod and Carson Smith get healthy.
2. We trade for a number 2 or 3 arm without losing any of the big four prospects, giving us a rotation of Price-Trade-Rodriguez-Buchholz-Porcello/Owens/Johnson. We could either move Johnson/Owens and use Porcello, or move Porcello and use the young guys. With Kelly, Taz, Uehara, Smith, and Kimbrel in the bullpen, we'd be in pretty good shape.

Things look bad now, but they could turn around very quickly.

I admire your optimism, but I have to add another "if" to your list:

3) If Erod and Smith pitch at least as well as they did last season (no guarantee). If they do, and the team acquires a legit No. 2 or 3 pitcher, and that pitcher performs well, the team has a chance.

Heading into tonight's games, Boston was seventh in all of MLB in runs with nearly 6 per game, then put up another five tonight ... yet the team is only 3-4. SMH

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2016, 10:45:30 PM »

• Satch Sanders
Things could easily turn around and we're 7 games into an absurdly long season.

It's just hard not to get that "Here we go again" feeling seeing how the last few years have gone.

Exactly. If it wasn't for the fact that we know Dombrowski has taken Cherington's place, and the fact that Price is now in town, this season (so far) would look exactly like last season. Yay, we can score 7 runs a game but we give up 9!! And actually, with Price's and Kimbrel's performance yesterday, the on-field product is a dead ringer for last year's.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2016, 10:49:09 PM »

• Satch Sanders
offense is there but pitching is brutal to the max

Bucholz needs to be traded for a bag of balls. SEriously. we need Erod back ASAP

Price
Erod
Porcello
Kellyl
Wright

Please!

You're right that we need Erod back, but that rotation strikes fear into no one. Porcello and Kelly are, IMO, .500 pitchers or slightly better (at best), and though I admire what Wright's done this season and last, he's nothing to write home about. I'm concerned that Ortiz's farewell tour could end up like Kobe's.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2016, 11:36:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I don't think I'll ever understand why Buccholz is even still on the roster.  Why keep giving this guy a chance? He's shown time and again he's no better than a 5th starter who sometimes pitches well.  Keep him if your rotation is solid.  But rely on him to be your #2?  Idiocy.  Madness.

I'd rather they just bring in random younger guys or reclamation projects like Masterson.  At least then there's an argument for why things might be different.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2016, 01:34:01 PM »

• Satch Sanders
So today Buchholz has his once-a-month good start and Koji blows it.

This pitching staff really has trouble getting everyone on the same page in the same game—starter does well, bullpen blows it; bullpen does well, starter blows it.

— C.S. Lewis