Author Topic: 2016 Red Sox Regular Season  (Read 53702 times)

2016 Red Sox Regular Season
« on: April 06, 2016, 07:17:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
We are underway!

Sox looked good yesterday in Cleveland.  Price is a breath of fresh air.

Today ... ugh.

Why is Buccholz still on this team?  I feel like I wonder that same thing every year.  So tired of watching his ups and downs.  How is he the #2 starter?  That doesn't bode well.  He should be a wild card #5, if he even has to be in the rotation on this team at all.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: 2016 Red Sox Regular Season
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 07:25:40 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
It's a real problem when Clay Bucholz is your number 2... I get that in reality Rodriguez is the number 2 but it's bad that the lineup is so bad after Price that one injury and Clay is the number 2...

Once again pitching will be the achilles of this team, even with Price and a strong bullpen.

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 07:27:16 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
We are underway!

Sox looked good yesterday in Cleveland.  Price is a breath of fresh air.

Today ... ugh.

Why is Buccholz still on this team?  I feel like I wonder that same thing every year.  So tired of watching his ups and downs.  How is he the #2 starter?  That doesn't bode well.  He should be a wild card #5, if he even has to be in the rotation on this team at all.

TP for starting the thread.

I'm excited for the new season, but like you I'm disappointed with Buchholz. He's injured half the time (literally), which makes his clunkers (like today) all the more disappointing, because you know he's not going to get a ton of starts. Rodriguez is actually the No. 2 starter but he's injured right now; the sooner he gets back, the better.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 07:30:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
It's a real problem when Clay Bucholz is your number 2... I get that in reality Rodriguez is the number 2 but it's bad that the lineup is so bad after Price that one injury and Clay is the number 2...

Once again pitching will be the achilles of this team, even with Price and a strong bullpen.

Yeah.

Ace + average pitchers + great bullpen is a good formula.  I'm not gonna go all gloom and doom because the Sox aren't loaded with aces.

But I'm not sure which of these starters after Price the Sox can actually depend on to get through five innings in any given night without putting the game out of reach. 

So this looks like the same basic team we had last year (where seemingly every night was a depressing adventure), only with an ace at the top of the rotation to stabilize things a bit.

I guess we're really betting big on Porcello to bounce back and Owens and Rodriguez to mature quickly into middle of the rotation starters.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 07:34:19 PM »

• Satch Sanders

Price was a big get, but they didn't really address the rest of the rotation. Buchholz has been mostly a disappointment, Joe Kelly had a good spring but I don't see him ever being more than a 12-14-win guy, Rick Porcello was a HUGE disappointment last year, and not too much is ever expected out of a No. 5 starter, which in this case is Stephen Wright. Presuming E-Rod returns soon and continues to improve, Boston might still need to go shopping for a better No. 3 option at the trade deadline (presuming they're in contention).
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 07:37:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I think Price - ERod - Owens - Kelly - Porcello could be good enough if the two young guys can stay on the field and become more consistent, and Kelly / Porcello hew more toward average than combustible (last year it was the other way round).

At the very least, the defense behind these guys should be excellent now that Hanley is kept on first where he can do the least damage and Sandoval is on the bench.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 07:50:48 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587

Yeah.

Ace + average pitchers + great bullpen is a good formula.  I'm not gonna go all gloom and doom because the Sox aren't loaded with aces.

But I'm not sure which of these starters after Price the Sox can actually depend on to get through five innings in any given night without putting the game out of reach. 

So this looks like the same basic team we had last year (where seemingly every night was a depressing adventure), only with an ace at the top of the rotation to stabilize things a bit.

I guess we're really betting big on Porcello to bounce back and Owens and Rodriguez to mature quickly into middle of the rotation starters.

I think that's the hope... I'm not going to lie I have less faith in Porcello than Clay... Hopefully Owens can be a decent starter. I really hope they can make a trade for Shields, he'd be a good inning eater #3 behind Price and Rodriguez.

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 08:50:29 PM »

• Satch Sanders
Great work by Noe Ramirez. Ugh. I feel like Charlie Brown when he asked if there was anyone who knew the true meaning of Christmas: "Isn't there any Red Sox pitcher today who doesn't stink?"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 09:11:28 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I'm really surprised and impressed with Hanley.  He's noticeably thinner, looks good at first, and is swinging the bat well. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 09:38:52 PM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 10:16:50 PM »

Offline straightouttabahstun

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • That's turrible
Everyone remain calm- at least Justin "Give up 8 runs a game" Masterson is no longer a part of the rotation/ballclub at all whatsoever. E Rod comes back in a month and we'll have more fun watching this team without getting gray hairs everywhere from panicking over the starting rotation.

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 11:13:16 PM »

• Satch Sanders
Everyone remain calm- at least Justin "Give up 8 runs a game" Masterson is no longer a part of the rotation/ballclub at all whatsoever. E Rod comes back in a month and we'll have more fun watching this team without getting gray hairs everywhere from panicking over the starting rotation.

It's not just the rotation—any Sox reliever not named Kimbrel or Uehara is a total crapshoot.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 08:08:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Almost the same team but different vibe this season.  David Price addition/able to rely on an ace is huge. 

Travis Shaw is a stud. 

Pandoval is what is wrong with FA and baseball.  What a lazy bum.  Doesn't look like he cares about wanting to win or be the best he can be.  Already won a ring, rich as hell. I don't care if I chill in the dugout.   

Out of Pandoval ,  things are looking good.   The closer is amazing.   

I still don't like Bucholz as the #2 , but we will see what happens.   Hopefully Erod is back soon

this team has a chance to go far this far.  It will be a great ending for Ortiz

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 05:22:06 PM »

• Satch Sanders

It's not just the rotation—any Sox reliever not named Kimbrel or Uehara is a total crapshoot.

So, after today, I guess I need to amend my above statement to: Any Sox reliever not named Kimbrel is a crapshoot.

Price was awful today, and Kimbrel gave up a 3-run homer. It's looking more and more like Boston's going to have to score 7 or 8 runs a game to have a chance.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 06:12:35 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Price was awful today, and Kimbrel gave up a 3-run homer. It's looking more and more like Boston's going to have to score 7 or 8 runs a game to have a chance.

Good news is, they seem capable of scoring 5-8 runs a game no problem.  Heh.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 06:18:38 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Pretty much a picture perfect recipe for worst case opening day doom and gloom.  Maybe Hanley running off the bases thinking there were 3 outs or Sandoval showing up in a dump uniform?
Yup