Author Topic: Are all these football players' anger issues a result of head trauma?  (Read 8665 times)

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
After watching bits and pieces of Greg Hardy's interview with Adam Schefter yesterday, this thought came to mind once again.

The evidence linking football to CTE is now overwhelming. And it's not just pro football. The effects of repeated head trauma at young ages, starting in pee-wee perhaps, are serious. And CTE is linked to wild mood swings and anger, among other cognitive issues.

Some of these guys' violent offenses are so mind-bogglingly crazy (with Hardy's being a good example) that I really wonder if there's a physiological component. I just can't believe it's because football players are likelier to be poorly educated or from rough upbringings. The physical effect of the sport on the brain, and maybe the steroids too, have to be a part of this puzzle.

Curious to hear if people agree (or care)...
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

Re: Are all these football players' anger issues a result of head trauma?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 11:27:27 AM »

Offline TheTruth

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 13
Drugs. Steroids. Head trauma. Playing a crazy physical game that promotes violence.

All of the above.

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 11:35:03 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
The things they do on the field, playing football, would put the average person in jail for assault and battery. 

Why do we expect them to be so much different off the field?

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 11:41:10 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
The things they do on the field, playing football, would put the average person in jail for assault and battery. 

Why do we expect them to be so much different off the field?

Because of lot of them can be.  Just like a lot of people, there are plenty of football players who can compartmentalize things.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 12:00:48 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I know plenty of people who have never played football a day in their life, but you give them 1 million dollars or something, and they could do literally anything (any crime, any despicable/mind-boggling thing).

You don't have to play football or have head trauma to be a bad person or a violent person.  Culture/upbringing is probably a much bigger factor than injuries.  Probably wouldn't immediately dismiss steroids either.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 12:25:19 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Please watch "Concussion" if you have not yet seen it.

Smitty77

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 12:34:30 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'd expect that it's part of the picture for some guys, but it's not a categorical explanation. 

There are football players of all kinds of personality types and a fair number of physical builds, but it disproportionately attracts guys who are big, strong, athletic, and enjoy violent collisions.  A lot of those guys would still have a violent streak if football had never been invented. 

Then you add PEDs, a very macho, aggressive culture, the uncertainty of short careers and little guaranteed money (for most), plus a lot of wealth and social attention, both good and bad, before you get to the head trauma.  Some guys are fine with all of it but it's a pretty toxic cocktail for a decent percentage.

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 12:35:26 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Seems like PEDs and repeated head trauma are likely candidates.

Growing up in an intensely competitive environment that rewards aggression, impulsive action, and violence probably plays a part as well.

I agree with FWF.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 12:54:54 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Personality is the bigger problem. A violent game like football that requires so much strength will lead to people with anger issues being over-represented. There are a lot of people with anger issues. Add to that being rich and being treated special in HS and college (and even in the pros) and you have the dangers anger+entitlement mixture.

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 01:44:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Personality is the bigger problem. A violent game like football that requires so much strength will lead to people with anger issues being over-represented. There are a lot of people with anger issues. Add to that being rich and being treated special in HS and college (and even in the pros) and you have the dangers anger+entitlement mixture.

Don't you think it works both ways?  The game attracts competitive, aggressive, violent people.  It also reinforces those innate tendencies.  Teaches and rewards them, in fact.

Then you add repeated head trauma to erode whatever self control and coping mechanisms these guys might have.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 01:49:11 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'd expect that it's part of the picture for some guys, but it's not a categorical explanation. 

There are football players of all kinds of personality types and a fair number of physical builds, but it disproportionately attracts guys who are big, strong, athletic, and enjoy violent collisions.  A lot of those guys would still have a violent streak if football had never been invented. 

Then you add PEDs, a very macho, aggressive culture, the uncertainty of short careers and little guaranteed money (for most), plus a lot of wealth and social attention, both good and bad, before you get to the head trauma.  Some guys are fine with all of it but it's a pretty toxic cocktail for a decent percentage.

Nailed it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 01:52:22 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Damage to the frontal lobe can cause personality changes. As people above are saying though, it is probably due to a number of different circumstances.

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 01:58:52 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I think mental health is also a factor as well as some of the factors mentioned in this thread.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 02:14:22 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I think mental health is also a factor as well as some of the factors mentioned in this thread.

Good point.

I don't doubt for a moment that guys brought up in the football culture are even less likely than the general population to seek treatment for mental health issues.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 02:29:44 PM »

Offline HuskerCeltic

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
Is CTE a factor for the wild off the field behavior of NFL players? It is possible in some instances.

Is it the primary reason for these events? Heck no.

The NFL is having an identity crisis. It is a violent sport and that contributes to its popularity. Violence tends to hurt people. If you promote the NFL you promote serious damage to other peoples brains for your entertainment.