Poll

Would you trade the Nets pick for Jabari

Yes. Parker is better than anyone at 4
44 (80%)
No. I'll draft BPA
11 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: Poll: #4 overall pick for Jabari Parker  (Read 9419 times)

Re: Poll: #4 overall pick for Jabari Parker
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2016, 07:33:28 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Jabari might not be lighting the league on fire, but he's been averaging over 17 points and over 6 rebounds per game since the start of February.

In over 36.8 minutes a game! Only by a hair, but unlike every other such prospect, those numbers would be adjusted down per 36. He's played, like, the 3rd most minutes per game in the league in that span.

Well, yes, but he's not really using up a bunch of shots.  His scoring efficiency has been excellent - typically over 55% TS.

It's taking him 37 minutes to get those points because Milwaukee doesn't use him heavily, as his USG% has been only about 20% all year.   That's basically 4th-option usage.  Even though it has increased the last month or so, it still has been only ~23% in March/April.   That's basically '3rd-option' usage.

Who knows, maybe if he were the focal point of the offense then he could score like a Glenn Robinson or maybe even a Carmelo. However, he's still only getting 6 rebounds in 36 minutes a game as a PF. My hunch is that he's the worst-rebounding PF in the league, which I'll check bref about shortly. (EDIT: Seems so.) He's a mediocre defender as is, but he would be horrid as a SF. One way or another, he's got a defense-crippling flaw. He does nothing good except score, and he'd have to be a sensational league-lead-territory or super-efficient scorer to be really valuable. Otherwise, he's just Big Dog. Show of hands, how many people would trade the 4th pick for Glenn Robinson? I hope not too many. We should be shooting for a bigger impact than that from the 4th pick, there'll be a better player than Glenn Robinson available at #4.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 07:45:22 PM by Dino Pitino »
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2016, 07:43:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
My hunch is that he's the worst-rebounding PF in the league

His Total Rebounding Percentage is a little under 10%.  Last year, in fewer games (before the knee injury), it was a little over 10%.

That puts him in the territory of guys like Patrick Patterson, Boris Diaw, Jerami Grant, Mirza Teletovic, Mike Scott, Josh McRoberts, and Anthony Tolliver. 

That's better, by the way, than guys like Jae Crowder, Danilo Gallinari, Demarre Carroll, and Harrison Barnes.

So for a small / quick PF, it's not great, but it's not nearly as bad as you make it out to be.  I'd hope his rebounding would improve somewhat as he continues to come back from the knee injury so that it's more in line with guys like Luol Deng, Matt Barnes, and Rudy Gay.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2016, 08:00:25 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Hell yes, and Danny would too, but the Bucks would never trade him for the #4 pick.
Maybe for #1 or #2 they would but then we could take Simmons or Ingram.

It's a fantasy that they'd even entertain the idea of trading him for the #4 pick.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2016, 08:06:15 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
Hell yes, and Danny would too, but the Bucks would never trade him for the #4 pick.
Maybe for #1 or #2 they would but then we could take Simmons or Ingram.

It's a fantasy that they'd even entertain the idea of trading him for the #4 pick.

Would you trade the 4th pick for Glenn Robinson? Don't you think Ainge could trade for or draft a better player than Glenn Robinson using the 4th pick?

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2016, 08:06:31 PM »

Offline TheTruth

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 13
Parker has shown signs of being a future all star.

Smart has shown signs of being a role player with his ability to play Outstanding D and drive and kicks. He just needs to stop SHOOTING.

Most of the players around pick 4 are even more uncertain than Marcus Smart. I'm not sure I see Hield or Murray as future all stars. They are more likely to be offensive role players. I'd say since we know Smart's value on D and Hield and Murray are still unknown, that Smart has more value then them. So if Smart, who is a role player, is not good enough to trade for Parker, then the fourth pick is even harder to see as a possible trade for Parker.

Not happening.

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2016, 08:09:10 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
Parker has shown signs of being a future all star.

Smart has shown signs of being a role player with his ability to play Outstanding D and drive and kicks. He just needs to stop SHOOTING.

Most of the players around pick 4 are even more uncertain than Marcus Smart. I'm not sure I see Hield or Murray as future all stars. They are more likely to be offensive role players. I'd say since we know Smart's value on D and Hield and Murray are still unknown, that Smart has more value then them. So if Smart, who is a role player, is not good enough to trade for Parker, then the fourth pick is even harder to see as a possible trade for Parker.

Not happening.

I'd rather have a SG version of Ron Artest than a PF version of Glenn Robinson. I'd trade the 4th pick for the former, but not the latter.

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2016, 08:10:21 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I watch Ballsislife.

They always put up young prospects on the rise, on their youtube channel, and I saw Jabari Parker, and whoa, this guy can score.

He has the fire and the will to just take over a game. If it was between Hield, Dunn, or whoever is the 4th pick, Parker any day.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2016, 08:10:33 PM »

Offline TheTruth

• Kristaps Porzingis
Chambers,

Ingram for Parker is a tough call.

I think I'm going with Ingram and if we made the trade for Parker, I think we can get a piece from the Bucks with him for Ingram.

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2016, 08:13:13 PM »

Offline TheTruth

• Kristaps Porzingis
Dino,

Artest is a good comp for Smart on D but Artest's offensive game was serviceable. He was pretty decent on offense.

Smart does drive and kick well or drive and drop off. The only hope I see is a Rondo role were he gets 8-10 assists a game by possessing the ball more.

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2016, 08:17:19 PM »

Offline TheTruth

• Kristaps Porzingis
Otherwise you can't compare to Artest if Smart doesn't have any offensive game.

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2016, 08:22:44 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
My hunch is that he's the worst-rebounding PF in the league

His Total Rebounding Percentage is a little under 10%.  Last year, in fewer games (before the knee injury), it was a little over 10%.

That puts him in the territory of guys like Patrick Patterson, Boris Diaw, Jerami Grant, Mirza Teletovic, Mike Scott, Josh McRoberts, and Anthony Tolliver. 

That's better, by the way, than guys like Jae Crowder, Danilo Gallinari, Demarre Carroll, and Harrison Barnes.

So for a small / quick PF, it's not great, but it's not nearly as bad as you make it out to be.  I'd hope his rebounding would improve somewhat as he continues to come back from the knee injury so that it's more in line with guys like Luol Deng, Matt Barnes, and Rudy Gay.

Can he also shoot the three better and play competent defense?

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2016, 08:24:19 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
Dino,

Artest is a good comp for Smart on D but Artest's offensive game was became serviceable. He was became pretty decent on offense.

Fixed. In his first two years Artest was about as bad on offense as Smart, relative to their positions. Their rookie TS% is exactly the same.

Smart does drive and kick well or drive and drop off. The only hope I see is a Rondo role were he gets 8-10 assists a game by possessing the ball more.

Combine what he does well already with an adequate ability to make close and easy baskets plus an adequate percentage from three...voila, he's all of a sudden pretty decent on offense, too. It's not a big challenge, he only has to become adequate at just those two things. He's already turned his FT% from bad to better than adequate.

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2016, 08:30:42 PM »

Offline TheTruth

• Kristaps Porzingis
Dino,

Smart is not going to suddenly become a scorer at the rim. He has no lift. He doesn't have the quickness or shiftiness of someone like Harden and he doesn't have the length to make up for his lack of lift. He also doesn't have any hang. He loses his jump as soon as he makes contact with a big. He can't absorb contact.

The only option he has is to be a better three point shooter or get a mid range game but that would require Smart to improve his handle and quickness.

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2016, 08:44:53 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Smart has a great wingspan at 6'9.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 09:19:37 PM by Rondo9 »

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2016, 08:57:31 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I think the Glenn Robinson comparison is a pretty good one.  I think that guys that may be available at #4 like Dunn and Murray have a good chance to be better than Glenn Robinson/Jabari Parker.