Poll

Would you trade the Nets pick for Jabari

Yes. Parker is better than anyone at 4
44 (80%)
No. I'll draft BPA
11 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: Poll: #4 overall pick for Jabari Parker  (Read 9463 times)

Re: Poll: #4 overall pick for Jabari Parker
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2016, 04:30:16 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Middleton, Parker, Gianni's. You would think someone needs to go. Not Gianni's. Return for Middleton would be just OK.

Funniest thing when looking at the numbers.

Marcus Smart is a better three point shooter than Parker so far!

Smart's career is .295% and his rookie year was .335%

Parker career is .256% his best year this one .259%

Parker had a major injury.   Since the all-star break:  19.2 points, 6.4 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 1.3 steals, 51%/35%/80%

Smart since the all-star break:  8.1 points, 4.5 rebounds, 2.9 assists, 1.3 steals, 32%/17%/79%

Hard to say a guy shooting 17% from three is a "better" 3-point shooter.

Parker is unquestionably a better shooter/scorer.

I am not going to begin overly defending Smart, but comparing stats isn't really fair for these two as Smart is a far superior defensive player to Parker. Hopefully Smart can again begin playing like he isn't the worst offensive player in the league.

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2016, 04:48:14 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Middleton, Parker, Gianni's. You would think someone needs to go. Not Gianni's. Return for Middleton would be just OK.

Parker had a major injury.   Since the all-star break:  19.2 points, 6.4 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 1.3 steals, 51%/35%/80%

Smart since the all-star break:  8.1 points, 4.5 rebounds, 2.9 assists, 1.3 steals, 32%/17%/79%

I am not going to begin overly defending Smart, but comparing stats isn't really fair for these two as Smart is a far superior defensive player to Parker. Hopefully Smart can again begin playing like he isn't the worst offensive player in the league.
I agree.  Smart looks like a solid defensive role player long-term.

Parker looks like someone you can build an offense around long-term.  Maybe he'll never be an elite defender, but he's starting to live up to the Melo comps.

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2016, 04:54:34 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Just said he has a better three point percentage, which he does in many more attempts. Marcus is the better more "confident" three point shooter thus far. Which cracks me up.

Jabari us unquestionably the better, all around shooter, scorer, offensive talent.

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2016, 05:03:21 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Jabari might not be lighting the league on fire, but he's been averaging over 17 points and over 6 rebounds per game since the start of February.

In over 36.8 minutes a game! Only by a hair, but unlike every other such prospect, those numbers would be adjusted down per 36. He's played, like, the 3rd most minutes per game in the league in that span.

This is a fair point, but it also indicates he's capable of playing big minutes and being fairly productive while doing so.  That's a significant step for a young player, since often one of the biggest questions about young guys is how their production will be affected by transitioning to full time starter minutes.

That he's doing this in his first full professional season, still recovering from a major knee injury, is pretty impressive.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2016, 05:06:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Not sure if I'd be too keen on getting Thad or Milsap-level player with a #4 pick.  Think that speaks volumes about the quality of this year's draft.

Either you like Millsap a lot less than I do, or you have a much higher opinion of Jaylen Brown / Kris Dunn / Jamal Murray / Buddy Hield.

I would be much more interested in a Millsap-level player than a Thad-level player for that #4 pick. Millsap is statistically better and on a far superior team. Thad is decent, but has always been on that 'Jeff Green tier' and you can't trade a top lotto pick for that.

I think if you place Thad Young on the Jeff Green tier, you're either undervaluing Thad Young pretty significantly, or you like Jeff Green a lot more than I do.

Not to say Thad Young is an amazing player, but he's solid and consistently productive, which is more than I can say for Jeff Green.  I'd take Thad on my young every day of the week over Jeff.

Anyway, I agree, you'd much rather have Millsap than Thad.  I wouldn't trade a top 5 pick for Thad Young, either.  But that's a spectrum.  I think that range of outcomes is pretty good (solid scoring starter at worst, multiple time two-way All-Star at best) for the 4th pick.

I don't think there's a prospect in this draft who offers that type of range of potential outcomes outside of the top 2.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2016, 05:35:20 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Not sure if I'd be too keen on getting Thad or Milsap-level player with a #4 pick.  Think that speaks volumes about the quality of this year's draft.

Either you like Millsap a lot less than I do, or you have a much higher opinion of Jaylen Brown / Kris Dunn / Jamal Murray / Buddy Hield.

I would be much more interested in a Millsap-level player than a Thad-level player for that #4 pick. Millsap is statistically better and on a far superior team. Thad is decent, but has always been on that 'Jeff Green tier' and you can't trade a top lotto pick for that.

I think if you place Thad Young on the Jeff Green tier, you're either undervaluing Thad Young pretty significantly, or you like Jeff Green a lot more than I do.

Not to say Thad Young is an amazing player, but he's solid and consistently productive, which is more than I can say for Jeff Green.  I'd take Thad on my young every day of the week over Jeff.

Anyway, I agree, you'd much rather have Millsap than Thad.  I wouldn't trade a top 5 pick for Thad Young, either.  But that's a spectrum.  I think that range of outcomes is pretty good (solid scoring starter at worst, multiple time two-way All-Star at best) for the 4th pick.

I don't think there's a prospect in this draft who offers that type of range of potential outcomes outside of the top 2.

I don't know, they are both 'swings' from the 2007 lottery. I know their stats aren't exactly the same, but Green has been on some better teams as of late. They are both solid, long athletic defenders who are incapable of playing an alpha offensive role on whatever caliber team for which they are playing.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=greenje02&p2=youngth01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=

But comparing Green/Young isn't the point and we both agree that acquiring a Millsap level player with the Nets pick would actually be pretty decent.

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2016, 05:41:02 PM »

Offline TheTruth

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 13
Phosita is making the most sense in this thread.

There is no way the Bucks are trading Parker, who is way ahead of Smart, for just the fourth pick.

The Bucks probably say no to Smart, the number 4 and the Celtics 23rd pick for Parker.

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2016, 05:49:30 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I don't know, they are both 'swings' from the 2007 lottery. I know their stats aren't exactly the same, but Green has been on some better teams as of late. They are both solid, long athletic defenders who are incapable of playing an alpha offensive role on whatever caliber team for which they are playing.

But comparing Green/Young isn't the point and we both agree that acquiring a Millsap level player with the Nets pick would actually be pretty decent.

Yeah, they are somewhat similar, and you're right that the comparison isn't the point of this thread so we don't need to belabor it. 

I'll just say, I think Thad Young is a more power-forwardy version of the role, whereas Green has always been more of a finesse combo forward, and if Jeff Green is the base model of that type of player, Thad Young is the Sport version with a peppier engine, manual transmission, and leather seats.

Obviously stretchier fours are more en-vogue these days, but I think having a quick, athletic guy who can catch at the three point line and either blow by slower bigs or post-up / finish over smaller defenders could be a nice counter to that trend.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2016, 05:50:38 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
For sure.   I would trade him for any pick after Simmons.

I think people killing him for his stats miss how bad of a situation he is in.  No PG to speak of and a bunch of other wings trying to do similar things as him.    I'm repeating myself from other threads, but I don't buy what the Bucks are doing at all unless you have an elite PG like Chris Paul.  The rest of your team being forwards just doesn't work.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2016, 05:55:27 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

Lol, TP. It's not even close between them. We have no shot at Parker

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2016, 05:56:46 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney

I don't see Paul Milsap at all. They have completely different games. He's more like Glenn Big Dog Robinson...

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2016, 05:59:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I don't see Paul Milsap at all. They have completely different games. He's more like Glenn Big Dog Robinson...

Millsap is bigger / slower than Jabari.  The comp there is more about role / potential production than about specific playstyle.

I can't say I really watched much of Glenn Robinson, so I can't speak to that comparison.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2016, 06:02:59 PM »

Offline TheTruth

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 13
Glenn Robinson is not a bad comparison.

Maybe a combo of Robinson and Melo.

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2016, 06:06:08 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
Glenn Robinson is not a bad comparison.

Maybe a combo of Robinson and Melo.

Yeah, that combo fits Parker perfectly.

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2016, 07:14:22 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Jabari might not be lighting the league on fire, but he's been averaging over 17 points and over 6 rebounds per game since the start of February.

In over 36.8 minutes a game! Only by a hair, but unlike every other such prospect, those numbers would be adjusted down per 36. He's played, like, the 3rd most minutes per game in the league in that span.

Well, yes, but he's not really using up a bunch of shots.  His scoring efficiency has been excellent - typically over 55% TS.

It's taking him 37 minutes to get those points because Milwaukee doesn't use him heavily, as his USG% has been only about 20% all year.   That's basically 4th-option usage.  Even though it has increased the last month or so, it still has been only ~23% in March/April.   That's basically '3rd-option' usage.   
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.