Poll

Would you trade the Nets pick for Jabari

Yes. Parker is better than anyone at 4
44 (80%)
No. I'll draft BPA
11 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: Poll: #4 overall pick for Jabari Parker  (Read 9459 times)

Poll: #4 overall pick for Jabari Parker
« on: April 05, 2016, 05:11:01 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

We could use Parker well here, he's a great potential stretch 4 with his oversized body and shooting touch. Plus he gives us Crowder Insurance at the SF position.

Could also potentially be a go to guy. It's nice that he's 6'8". We could use another talented bug body like that.

Re: Poll: #4 overall pick for Jabari Parker
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 02:22:21 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

What say you.

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 02:35:32 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
That would be great. Parker is a great player.

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 02:48:48 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
 Middleton, Parker, Gianni's. You would think someone needs to go. Not Gianni's. Return for Middleton would be just OK.

Funniest thing when looking at the numbers.

Marcus Smart is a better three point shooter than Parker so far!

Smart's career is .295% and his rookie year was .335%

Parker career is .256% his best year this one .259%

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 02:56:50 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Middleton, Parker, Gianni's. You would think someone needs to go. Not Gianni's. Return for Middleton would be just OK.

well that's not very good.  curious if his % has climbed during the season, been steady or declined. 

I'd do the deal because no one at 4 in this draft is projected to be as good as Parker's projected to be.  We could also use the depth as SF behind, and eventually in front of, Crowder.

although, considering he's not lighting the league on fire in his second season, I would look into obtaining him for less than a #4 pick.

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 03:10:08 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

well that's not very good.  curious if his % has climbed during the season, been steady or declined. 

I'd do the deal because no one at 4 in this draft is projected to be as good as Parker's projected to be.  We could also use the depth as SF behind, and eventually in front of, Crowder.

although, considering he's not lighting the league on fire in his second season, I would look into obtaining him for less than a #4 pick.

Parker has attempted 43 three pointers in his career.

Smart has attempted nearly 500.

What that suggests is that Smart is more uh ... confident ... in his outside shot.  It also means there's a meaningful sample that tells us this is probably what we can expect from Smart at least for a few years, hopefully with gradual improvement.

Whereas Jabari hasn't really worked the three pointer into his game much except for attempting one or two a game the last few months.

Jabari might not be lighting the league on fire, but he's been averaging over 17 points and over 6 rebounds per game since the start of February.

Considering that this is a pseudo-rookie season for Jabari, he's looking pretty decent, though he appears to be more of a Thad Young / Paul Millsap type 4 as opposed to a Paul Pierce / Carmelo Anthony type 3 that he was billed as coming out of college.

I'd much prefer to have Jabari over any of the guys that look like they'll be in the mix for the #4 pick in this draft.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 03:17:46 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Parker has attempted 43 three pointers in his career.

Smart has attempted nearly 500.

What that suggests is that Smart is more uh ... confident ... in his outside shot.  It also means there's a meaningful sample that tells us this is probably what we can expect from Smart at least for a few years, hopefully with gradual improvement.

Whereas Jabari hasn't really worked the three pointer into his game much except for attempting one or two a game the last few months.

Jabari might not be lighting the league on fire, but he's been averaging over 17 points and over 6 rebounds per game since the start of February.

Considering that this is a pseudo-rookie season for Jabari, he's looking pretty decent, though he appears to be more of a Thad Young / Paul Millsap type 4 as opposed to a Paul Pierce / Carmelo Anthony type 3 that he was billed as coming out of college.

I'd much prefer to have Jabari over any of the guys that look like they'll be in the mix for the #4 pick in this draft.
well that would go to the idea that he's improved as the season has progressed so that makes the  deal much more palatable.

Not sure if I'd be too keen on getting Thad or Milsap-level player with a #4 pick.  Think that speaks volumes about the quality of this year's draft.

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 03:18:37 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Parker has taken a grand total of just 43 3PA in his NBA career so far, so I wouldn't read too much into that .259 number.   He shot 38 of 106 on threes in college (.358).

Smart, on the other hand, has taken 499 3PA in the NBA in order to reach his .295 number and that follows two seasons in college when he took 295 threes, also hitting those at a .295 rate.

More relevant than the 3PT% is overall efficiency.  Smart's career eFG is .432 and his career TS is .475 (and both numbers are worse this year).   Parker's career eFG is .502 and his career TS is .541.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 03:28:19 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I'd gladly take Parker in exchange for the #4 pick.

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 03:59:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Hell no. Maybe with the mavs pick.

Parker is overrated.   No defense Parker. No way

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 03:59:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Not sure if I'd be too keen on getting Thad or Milsap-level player with a #4 pick.  Think that speaks volumes about the quality of this year's draft.

Either you like Millsap a lot less than I do, or you have a much higher opinion of Jaylen Brown / Kris Dunn / Jamal Murray / Buddy Hield.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 04:03:33 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think that ship has sailed.  Parker has been sensational since the all-star break.  Where would he go in this draft?  2nd?

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 04:04:50 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

In over 36.8 minutes a game! Only by a hair, but unlike every other such prospect, those numbers would be adjusted down per 36. He's played, like, the 3rd most minutes per game in the league in that span.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 04:05:31 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Parker had a major injury.   Since the all-star break:  19.2 points, 6.4 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 1.3 steals, 51%/35%/80%

Smart since the all-star break:  8.1 points, 4.5 rebounds, 2.9 assists, 1.3 steals, 32%/17%/79%

Hard to say a guy shooting 17% from three is a "better" 3-point shooter.

Parker is unquestionably a better shooter/scorer. 

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 04:26:48 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Either you like Millsap a lot less than I do, or you have a much higher opinion of Jaylen Brown / Kris Dunn / Jamal Murray / Buddy Hield.

I would be much more interested in a Millsap-level player than a Thad-level player for that #4 pick. Millsap is statistically better and on a far superior team. Thad is decent, but has always been on that 'Jeff Green tier' and you can't trade a top lotto pick for that.