Poll

Would you trade a top-2 pick nets pick, the dallas pick, our own first rounder and filler for:

Boogie
20 (40.8%)
Jimmy Buckets
7 (14.3%)
Other player thought to be on market (Griffin, Love)
2 (4.1%)
I would do it for any of these players
4 (8.2%)
I would do this for none of these players
16 (32.7%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: If we got a top 2 pick, what would you do with it?  (Read 3884 times)

Re: If we got a top 2 pick, what would you do with it?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 05:03:03 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Id trade it for Cousins or Butler.

Mostly because I dont see Ingram or Simmons as future superstars.

A lot also depends on how I feel my chances are at KD and Horford.

Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 05:05:54 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Id trade it for Cousins or Butler.

Mostly because I dont see Ingram or Simmons as future superstars.

A lot also depends on how I feel my chances are at KD and Horford.

If I got KD and Horford, I'd be more likely to keep it.  Cheap labor.  But that is probably not the most realistic scenario

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 05:09:41 PM »

Offline gamehead36

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9
You trade the pick for a star.. We have enough young guys we need to "develop" on this roster.

This is what people don't seem to realize, in 3 years Crowder, IT, Smart and AB are off the books.. there go our bargain contracts. Also in 3 years these rookies need to get paid. There will never be another time (in the near future) where we have 3 solid starters on our roster for less than it would cost us for one max player.

We draft Ingram, then what? He becomes a solid player in 2-3 years, now we are trying to fill the holes for the guys we once had for a discount to put around him? It makes no sense to me.

We have our core, now we build around it. We get players who can contribute now, if we keep waiting its going to get to a time where all of our valued contracts are off the books or costing us double or triple what we have them at now. At that rate we'll remain a playoff bubble team and nothing more.

My sentiments exactly. I think we should capitalize on our value contracts while we have the chance, and capitalize on IT's superstar offense AND value contract while we have the chance.

I also think with Boogie alone, and without trading our current pieces, we are championship contenders. Gotta go for it. Also, getting Boogie is not similar to what Cleveland did with Wiggins. Boogie would be a focal point. K Love's role in the Cav's offense is an afterthought.

Also, trading for a star increases our possibility of getting top free agents. I don't think Simmons or Ingram moves the needle for free agents. 

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 05:29:10 PM »

Offline gamehead36

• Xavier Tillman
It's really a no brainer to use the pick, especially when you consider how much cheaper Simmons or Ingram would be for the next few years than any of those guys.  By making that pick, we'd be adding a potential star to an already solid playoff team AND have the financial flexibility to still try to recruit another couple of stars over the next couple of summers. 

And given how young this team is, there's absolutely no reason to pull a Cleveland and trade a top pick for veterans.  We can afford to wait a couple of years for Simmons or Ingram to fully mature.

This is pretty much exactly my sentiments as well. If you keep the pick, draft a future star and then entice a current star here you pretty much get a 2 for 1.

But if you trade for a star, that would likely entice another to sign as well, giving us the two for one you talk about.

I think we capitalize on our value contracts now, and go for a championship next year and the years after, by trading this year's picks for Boogie. Then go after Horford, KD, Barnes and solid backups that may include Noah, Mozgov, Teletovic, Scola, etc.

Even if we only come away with veteran back ups from free agency, I think we get an instant 5 year championship window. The cap holds will be all low, so we will be able to retain everybody, and have two nets picks in our back pocket for an additional piece or to invest in our future.

It hinges mainly on if Cousins will be sane with us. I think he will. If he messes up an opportunity with Brad Stevens, with such a good group of guys, his reputation will possibly be irreparable. I think he will understand that, and I think it will work out for us perfectly. I see him as a a Rasheed Wallace with us.

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 05:55:58 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I am still quite shocked that everyone is obsessed with Cousins.

Of note from BB ref:

Value Over Replacement Player

1.   Stephen Curry ▪ GSW   9.1
2.   Russell Westbrook ▪ OKC   8.1
3.   LeBron James ▪ CLE   7.1
4.   James Harden ▪ HOU   6.5
5.   Kyle Lowry ▪ TOR   6.2
6.   Kevin Durant ▪ OKC   6.0
7.   Kawhi Leonard ▪ SAS   5.9
8.   Chris Paul ▪ LAC   5.7
9.   Draymond Green ▪ GSW   5.3
10.   Paul Millsap ▪ ATL   4.6
11.   Paul George ▪ IND   4.4
12.   Kemba Walker ▪ CHO   4.2
13.   Damian Lillard ▪ POR   3.8
14.   Al Horford ▪ ATL   3.8
15.   Jimmy Butler ▪ CHI   3.7
16.   John Wall ▪ WAS   3.6
17.   DeAndre Jordan ▪ LAC   3.4
18.   Pau Gasol ▪ CHI   3.4
19.   Isaiah Thomas ▪ BOS   3.1
20.   Gordon Hayward ▪ UTA   3.1
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 06:01:11 PM by mctyson »

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2016, 05:58:54 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Draft either Simmons or Ingram.  Benefits are twofold.

You get, potentially, a franchise cornerstone who will be on a team friendly contract for the early part of his career.

And you maintain your cap room to sign a big fish free agent.   Or cash in your other assets for an established stud. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2016, 06:01:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

That's with the assumption that Ingram attracts Horford or Pau to the C's.

No, the assumption is that achieving success in the regular season and (hopefully) playoffs on the strength of Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, and the coaching of Brad Stevens, plus a strong supporting cast, will attract guys like Pau and Horford.

The fact that the team is adding excellent young talent now and in the future thanks to the Nets is just one piece of that appeal.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2016, 06:06:45 PM »

Offline gamehead36

• Xavier Tillman
I am still quite shocked that everyone is obsessed with Cousins, even considering his incredible basketball skills.

The reason why I am is because I think he is comparable to Rasheed Wallace in terms of attitude. I don't care if he leads the league in technical fouls, or argues with George Karl. Put him in a good situation, and I think he will be comparable to Rasheed Wallace. I am perfectly fine with that. He doesn't even get into trouble off the court. I think that is an indication that all of his shortcomings are purely basketball related. And winning in my opinion will cure most of that. And that is something we will be doing a lot of with Boogie.

I mean, with Avery guarding Steph, and Boogie making it suicide for the Warriors to play Draymond at the 5, I think that team would have the talent to beat GS in a 7 game series.

Too good of an opportunity to pass up.

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2016, 06:33:07 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Would trading that pick for a star like: Butler, Cousins, Griffin prohibit our ability to sign both Horford and Durant?

I am all for adding one of those players above, but if I need to choose between let's say Butler and middle of the road free agents or KD and Horford I am taking the later.

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2016, 07:43:19 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I'd be pitentially into Boogie but think it's an overpay. Simmons or Ingram plus 2 more 1sts would be a great haul for Sactown.

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2016, 07:52:26 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
It's really a no brainer to use the pick, especially when you consider how much cheaper Simmons or Ingram would be for the next few years than any of those guys.  By making that pick, we'd be adding a potential star to an already solid playoff team AND have the financial flexibility to still try to recruit another couple of stars over the next couple of summers. 

And given how young this team is, there's absolutely no reason to pull a Cleveland and trade a top pick for veterans.  We can afford to wait a couple of years for Simmons or Ingram to fully mature.

This is pretty much exactly my sentiments as well. If you keep the pick, draft a future star and then entice a current star here you pretty much get a 2 for 1.
This and this~~~

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2016, 08:17:39 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
I'd trade it for Butler or Cousins and sign KD and Horford. If we can't get KD then we might as well keep the pick. Im not really excited about Ingram or Simmons but they could end up being good players.

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2016, 08:36:19 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

This and this~~~
Problem is that current stars don't give a [dang] about top draft picks. If uou want to entice a star here you need to acquire another quasi-star or preferably a bonafide star and the easiest way to do that is by trading the pick.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2016, 09:02:33 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Personally I would just sign the pick over to Durant... He can choose what ever he wants to do for him.. butler, chef, driver etc..

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2016, 09:11:59 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd go hard at AD from Pelicans

Simmons/Ingram, Dallas pick, AJ, JJ, Rozier, Mickey and 2018 Nets pick for Davis and Asik.