Poll

Would you trade a top-2 pick nets pick, the dallas pick, our own first rounder and filler for:

Boogie
20 (40.8%)
Jimmy Buckets
7 (14.3%)
Other player thought to be on market (Griffin, Love)
2 (4.1%)
I would do it for any of these players
4 (8.2%)
I would do this for none of these players
16 (32.7%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: If we got a top 2 pick, what would you do with it?  (Read 3885 times)

If we got a top 2 pick, what would you do with it?
« on: April 04, 2016, 03:01:33 PM »

Offline gamehead36

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9
And do you think the other team would accept the offer. I'm also interested to know if I am overvaluing or undervaluing our picks.

Reasoning:

I do not want to trade Smart in any deal because his value is at an all time low. He's much better than he is playing now. If we let him run the pick and roll more, or if he increases his outside shot this offseason, his value, in my opinion, would skyrocket. Then we could sell.

I don't want to trade Bradley to a rebuilding team. I don't think we get maximum value doing this. His contract is super valuable, and I think that value would be wasted away by trading him to a rebuilding team, who will likely already have loads of cap space.

I'd rather trade AB to a team whose cap space is at a premium and therefore may give up more. I think Avery/Olynyk and the nets pick next year could net us somebody like Love or Griffin. I think the nets do nothing in free agency this year, and they trade Brook, Thad, or both to start the rebuilding process (like they should). I think teams will recognize that the nets pick will be gold again next year, and then we could ship that to another team, which sends another supporting piece/pieces to a team like the Cavs or Clippers (for example, the nuggets with barton and gallo) in addition to Avery/Olynyk.

TL;DR

Smart and Bradley should not be throw-ins. I think if we strategically use our assets, we can net two stars between now and the trade deadline next year.

Edit: Read the caption

Re: If we got a top 2 pick, what would you do with it?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 03:02:56 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Use the pick.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 03:08:32 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Absolutely use the pick.

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 03:09:52 PM »

Offline gamehead36

• Xavier Tillman
Use the pick.
If I were to keep it, I would draft Simmons, because I think he would be ready to contribute instantly. But I think I would still trade it.

The thing is, I do not want to waste the primes of our players. I think IT especially has a short prime window because he needs his athleticism to be as effective as he is. So I really want to capitalize now.

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 03:17:06 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Trade players, picks for Boogie Cousins and Butler .

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 03:29:17 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
It's really a no brainer to use the pick, especially when you consider how much cheaper Simmons or Ingram would be for the next few years than any of those guys.  By making that pick, we'd be adding a potential star to an already solid playoff team AND have the financial flexibility to still try to recruit another couple of stars over the next couple of summers. 

And given how young this team is, there's absolutely no reason to pull a Cleveland and trade a top pick for veterans.  We can afford to wait a couple of years for Simmons or Ingram to fully mature. 

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 03:56:19 PM »

Offline gamehead36

• Xavier Tillman

And given how young this team is, there's absolutely no reason to pull a Cleveland and trade a top pick for veterans.  We can afford to wait a couple of years for Simmons or Ingram to fully mature.

My problem is that I'm afraid IT is gonna have a steep decline much earlier than other players due to  his reliance on his athletic ability due to his size.

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 04:02:46 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
You trade the pick for a star.. We have enough young guys we need to "develop" on this roster.

This is what people don't seem to realize, in 3 years Crowder, IT, Smart and AB are off the books.. there go our bargain contracts. Also in 3 years these rookies need to get paid. There will never be another time (in the near future) where we have 3 solid starters on our roster for less than it would cost us for one max player.

We draft Ingram, then what? He becomes a solid player in 2-3 years, now we are trying to fill the holes for the guys we once had for a discount to put around him? It makes no sense to me.

We have our core, now we build around it. We get players who can contribute now, if we keep waiting its going to get to a time where all of our valued contracts are off the books or costing us double or triple what we have them at now. At that rate we'll remain a playoff bubble team and nothing more. 

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 04:02:59 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Pick whoever is left of Simmons or Ingram.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 04:09:49 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Personally, I trade the pick, but only for an absolute, two-way stud in either Boogie or Butler (probably not Love). I think between our recent progress and the state of the NBA, our team is primed to make a good run at a title with a few key star additions. The East is absolutely wide open, and we actually matchup (more with GS than SA) and play clsoe with both San Antonio and Golden State. Plus, with an all-time great scorer in Durant on the market this summer, you need to do as much as you can to entice him.

Granted, I'm not that high on this draft, which is why I'm pretty set on trading the pick in the right deal. I like Ingram, but it will be several years before he could really help us all that much, and though Simmons would be able to play a role from day one, we already have a young prospect who can't shoot and I'm not really looking forward to adding another one.

The beauty of this is that even if we do trade the pick, we still have two years worth of probable lottery picks from the Nets!

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 04:19:15 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Personally, I trade the pick, but only for an absolute, two-way stud in either Boogie or Butler (probably not Love). I think between our recent progress and the state of the NBA, our team is primed to make a good run at a title with a few key star additions. The East is absolutely wide open, and we actually matchup (more with GS than SA) and play clsoe with both San Antonio and Golden State. Plus, with an all-time great scorer in Durant on the market this summer, you need to do as much as you can to entice him.

Granted, I'm not that high on this draft, which is why I'm pretty set on trading the pick in the right deal. I like Ingram, but it will be several years before he could really help us all that much, and though Simmons would be able to play a role from day one, we already have a young prospect who can't shoot and I'm not really looking forward to adding another one.

The beauty of this is that even if we do trade the pick, we still have two years worth of probable lottery picks from the Nets!

Pretty much where I'm at  ^

I'd like to take the mav s pick and use it for Maker .   Kinda pull a 76 ers tactic and stash away centers for rainy day ......trade for another star forward

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 04:23:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Use the pick.
If I were to keep it, I would draft Simmons, because I think he would be ready to contribute instantly. But I think I would still trade it.

The thing is, I do not want to waste the primes of our players. I think IT especially has a short prime window because he needs his athleticism to be as effective as he is. So I really want to capitalize now.

I think IT's relatively short (no pun intended) window is all the more reason to prefer drafting an elite prospect under team control at relatively low cost for years to come.

To me, trading for Boogie or Butler carries a heavy risk of only getting a couple years of truly elite play, and at a heavy cost in terms of cap hit.

The $$ you save by using the pick could be put toward acquiring two high impact players (e.g. Horford and Pau) with our cap space this summer.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 04:37:52 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Use the pick.

I think IT's relatively short (no pun intended) window is all the more reason to prefer drafting an elite prospect under team control at relatively low cost for years to come.

To me, trading for Boogie or Butler carries a heavy risk of only getting a couple years of truly elite play, and at a heavy cost in terms of cap hit.

The $$ you save by using the pick could be put toward acquiring two high impact players (e.g. Horford and Pau) with our cap space this summer.

That's with the assumption that Ingram attracts Horford or Pau to the C's. I don't believe that it would.. Jimmy Butler, Blake or Boogie on the other hand I'd think would.

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 04:39:29 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Use the pick.

That's with the assumption that Ingram attracts Horford or Pau to the C's. I don't believe that it would.. Jimmy Butler, Blake or Boogie on the other hand I'd think would.

I'm not really a fan of Blake at all. I don't like his game at all, and I think Butler or Boogie would fit in perfectly with our system where Blake really wouldn't.

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 04:54:19 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
It's really a no brainer to use the pick, especially when you consider how much cheaper Simmons or Ingram would be for the next few years than any of those guys.  By making that pick, we'd be adding a potential star to an already solid playoff team AND have the financial flexibility to still try to recruit another couple of stars over the next couple of summers. 

This is pretty much exactly my sentiments as well. If you keep the pick, draft a future star and then entice a current star here you pretty much get a 2 for 1.