Author Topic: Celtics (43-32) at Warriors (67-7) Game #76 4/1/16  (Read 58736 times)

Celtics (43-32) at Warriors (67-7) Game #76 4/1/16
« on: April 01, 2016, 12:47:32 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (43-32) at Golden State Warriors (67-7)
Friday, April 1, 2016
10:30 PM ET
Regular Season Game #76, Road Game #39
TV: ESPN,  CSN-NE, CSN-BA
Radio: 98.5 Sports Hub, KNBR 1050 AM
Oracle Arena

Probable Starters

PG: Isaiah Thomas
SG: Avery Bradley
SF: Jae Crowder
PF: Amir Johnson
C:  Jared Sullinger

Celtics Reserves

Evan Turner
Jonas Jerebko
Terry Rozier
James Young
Kelly Olynyk
Jordan Mickey
Tyler Zeller
Marcus Smart
RJ Hunter

Injuries
Jae Crowder (ankle) questionable

Head Coach
Brad Stevens

Probable Starters

PG: Stephen Curry
SG: Klay Thompson
SF: Harrison Barnes
PF: Draymond Green
C: Andrew Bogut

Reserves
Ian Clark
Festus Ezeli
Andre Iguodala
Shaun Livingston
James Michael McAdoo
Mareese Speights
Leandro Barbosa
Anderson Varejao

Head Coach

Steve Kerr

Injuries
Brandon Rush (knee)  day to day
Kevon Looney (hip)  out
Andre Iguodala (ankle) questionable
Festus Ezeli (knee) questionable

Game Notes
The Celtics continue their West Coast trip with a visit to the league leading Golden State Warriors.  The Warriors are undefeated at home this season at 36-0.  They also won their last 18 games last season to make their home winning streak a total of 54 straight wins at home.  The Celtics lost to the Warriors 124-119 in double OT in Boston back in December without Klay Thompson who sat out with an ankle injury.  The Warriors have won their last 5 games vs the Celtics.

It will take a monumental effort on behalf of the Celtics to get a win in this one. The Warriors are good in just about every area.  They lead the league in points per game (115.1 ),  2nd in FG % (49.6),  1st in assists per game (29.0), 1st in 3 point % (41.5 ) and 1st in fast break points (20.8).   The Warriors have swept the season series for the last 2 seasons.  Both games were close last season with just a 5 point difference in Boston and a 3 point difference in Golden State. 

The Celtics are playing in the second of back to back games, having played in Portland on Thursday night.  The Celtics are 11-6 overall in the second of back to back games and 3-1 when both games are on the road. 

Jae Crowder returned to the Celtics on Thursday but may or may not play in this one depending on how his ankle feels after the Portland game.  If Jae can't play in back to back games then Evan Turner will more than likely get the start again.   The Blazers will be without Kevin Looney who is out with a hip injury.  Brandon Rush, Festus Ezeli, and Andre Iguodala are all day to day and may or may not play in this game. 

The Celtics dropped from 4th to 6th with the loss on Thursday.  They are 1.5 games behind Atlanta (3) and 1/2 game behind both Miami (4) and Charlotte (5).  They are 3 ahead of Detroit (7).  Golden State are light years ahead of every team in the league.   Games to keep an eye on - Friday: PHI@CHA, CLE@ATL, MIA@SAC. 

Key Matchups
  vs 
Isaiah Thomas vs Stephen Curry
The simple truth is that no human can guard Stephen Curry.   Avery and Isaiah and Jay have to do the best they can but he will still get his.  Curry is averaging 30.0 points, 5.4 rebounds, 6.6 assists, and 2.17 steals per game.  He is shooting 51% from the field and 45% from beyond the arc.  That is almost super human.  The best the Celtics can hope for is to maybe slow him down a little.

vs 
Avery Bradley vs Klay Thompson
Thompson is averaging 22.6 points, 3.8 rebounds, and 2.0 assists.  He is shooting 43% from beyond the arc.  Thompson missed the first meeting between these two teams and will definitely be a tough cover for the Celtics in this one.  It seems almost unfair to have two players this good in the same backcourt. 

Keys to the Game
Defense
- The Warriors can put up points quickly and in bunches.  They lead the league with 115.1 points per game.   It will be important for the Celtics to bring their defensive intensity into this game, especially to shut down the Warriors' fast breaks as they lead the league in fast break points with 20.8 .  The Celtics must especially guard the perimeter as the Warriors are very dangerous from beyond the arc, shooting 41.5% from 3.  The Celtics must execute on the defensive end of the court and play tough team defense if they have any hope of winning this game. 

Rebound - The Celtics need to crash the boards to keep the Warriors from igniting their fast breaks. The Celtics also need to rebound to give themselves second chance points and limit the second chance points for the Warriors. The Warriors are a very good rebounding team, pulling down 46.3 rebounds per game, good for 4th in the league. The Celtics  have to crash the boards as a team. 

Take Care of the Ball - The Warriors can be very disruptive by getting into the passing lanes. The Celtics need to stay focused and not give the Warriors any easy opportunities to steal the ball or to get out on the break.  If the Celtics get sloppy with the ball, the Warriors will make them pay.

Be Aggressive - The Celtics need to come out focused and play hard from start to finish. The Celtics have to be the more aggressive team throughout the game. They must be aggressive on defense, on the boards, in chasing down loose balls, and in taking the ball to the hoop and not settling for jumpers.  They will need energy and extra effort from every player on the team.

Move the Ball
- The Celtics play best when the ball keeps moving and they find the open man and the best  possible shot.  When the Celtics average under 20 assists they are just 13-13 but when they have over 20 assists, they are 40-18. They have to move the ball to find the open man and, of course, the open man has to make his shots.

X-Factors
Focus - The Celtics have to be focused on the game and not on all the hype of the Warriors win streak.  The only way the Celtics will get a win in this game is to outwork the Warriors and stay focused on the task at hand.

Officiating - As always, the officiating is an x-factor.   Every crew officiates differently and teams never know what to expect.  Sometimes they let them play and other times they call a foul on every possession.  Some games they call evenly and others they favor one team or the other.  It's like Forrest Gump's box of chocolate... you never know what you are going to get.     

Re: Celtics (43-32) at Warriors (67-7) Game #76 4/1/16
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 12:50:19 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Calling it now.

Celtics win 103-102 with a Jae Crowder fadeaway at the buzzer. Golden State Warriors home winning streak will come to an end.  ;D ;D ;D :angel:

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 12:51:35 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to SparzWizard for being the first to post in the game thread!   I'd love to give you 2 for your positivity!!!! 

Gooooo Celtics!!! 

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 01:19:42 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Easy win

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 01:21:50 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Really tough game, back to back in the toughest arena in the league. Hope the Celts don't get blown out.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 01:28:49 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 03:08:23 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Calling it now.

Celtics win 103-102 with a Jae Crowder fadeaway at the buzzer. Golden State Warriors home winning streak will come to an end.  ;D ;D ;D :angel:

Wimpy stuff lol. I'm calling 4 players go for 30 points for the Celtics, Let's see it will be Thomas, Crowder, Bradley, and hmmm let me think Evan prime time Turner baby!

Celtics go on to destroy the now slumping Warrior's 211 to 156 the highest scoring game in 3k light-years.

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 07:44:16 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
So, who does IT guard tonight? You almost have to put him on Curry, right? The only other option is on Barnes, but he's nearly giving up a foot in that matchup.

I think we're going to see once again why IT is really not an ideal starting point guard in this league. I fully expect him to get abused by Thompson or Barnes tonight, both of whom did not play in the last game.

I'm actually hoping to see a big game from Smart. These seem to be the types of games that he thrives in, as long as he doesn't lose his cool when he inevitably gets called for cheap fouls against them with no calls being called for him.

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 08:10:40 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
Problem with playing the warrior s is no matter how well their opponent plays ......the Warriors are always the better shooting team with the highest % scoring.

Our guys struggle to make a wide open 20 ft shot .....a lot of games

Curry dropping 40 foot shots like layups with a guy hanging on him. .....making 3 points for every hard earned TWO point basket Celtics get.

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 08:34:23 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
The last 10 games or so, we have been very predictable on offense, resulting on turnovers and/or facing hard defense as a result.
All we see is IT iso, Avery jumpshot or Evan iso.
Where is our read and react offense where everybody were moving and passing until something is open for a layup or an easy 3.
I'm tired to see the opponent mediocre defense get easy on our offense. Last night vs portland was a great example.

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 10:28:30 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
43-33, here we come!
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 10:31:16 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Is Crowder a definite for tonight?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 04:59:48 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Is Crowder a definite for tonight?

Celtics are saying that he will sit out tonight but I'm sure he is trying to talk his way into playing.  But as of now,  they are saying he will sit out for rest and as a precaution. 

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 05:57:45 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
No Crowder

Not even a remote chance of a win.

Probably just as well let him rest and heal up good for the playoffs .

Last thing we need is another injury to

AB , KO, Jae , Smart or IT.

138 to 101 final score.

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 06:08:37 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Should I even watch? My friends want me to play 5 on 5 tonight but i want to watch the game. At least, I think I want to watch.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about