Poll

You can start a team with one guy, but you only have him for 1 season, who you taking?

Stephen Curry
16 (44.4%)
Anthony Davis
4 (11.1%)
Kevin Durant
5 (13.9%)
Lebron James
9 (25%)
Russell Westbrook
1 (2.8%)
Other - Explain
1 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: One Season and One Season only - who you taking  (Read 3285 times)

One Season and One Season only - who you taking
« on: March 31, 2016, 01:24:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I think it seems apparent that Steph Curry is going to win the MVP this year, but it got me to thinking, if you could start your team with any player, but only had that player for 1 season, would you take Curry?  What about James?  Maybe Westbrook's incredible triple double string excites you and you think he would be the guy.  Or maybe Davis, Durant, or someone else would be you call?

For the sake of argument, assume whomever you take will be healthy for both the regular season and post season so injury concerns don't factor in.  Similarly, everyone will have the same maximum value contract so you can't differentiate in that regard.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: One Season and One Season only - who you taking
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 01:33:19 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Present day version of these guys (as of right now 3/31/16) or any one season from any of these guys?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 01:36:27 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Present day version of these guys (as of right now 3/31/16) or any one season from any of these guys?
Present day version but assuming full health for the present day (so you don't have to worry about Durant's injury issues).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 01:44:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Give me Lebron.  He can work in any system.  Curry is awesome and a worthy MVP, but without the personnel in GS I don't know if he's quite as successful.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 01:49:44 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
KD, perfect fit on our current team

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 01:53:49 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'd still go with James for one season.

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 01:54:35 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1672
I went with Curry.  He ruins defensive schemes by himself.  Takes and makes shots that would get most other people benched.  Just a nightmare to guard. 

I can understand the argument for LeBron and truth be told, I think he's still a better overall player when he's playing hard.  But those times have been rarer than they should be this year.  He takes a lot of plays off on both ends of the court.  That tips the scales for me. 

The other three (and anybody else) are at least a clear step behind these two in my opinion. 

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 02:08:16 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Curry is the guy in the league right now who makes any come back or game winning shot seem possible.  He's the best in the world, the hardest to guard.  He's my choice.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 02:13:41 PM »

Offline TheTruth

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 13
I'm guilty for voting for Westbrook. Love the way he plays all out.

I'd pay good money on season tickets if he was on the Celtics.

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 02:17:32 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Give me Lebron.  He can work in any system.  Curry is awesome and a worthy MVP, but without the personnel in GS I don't know if he's quite as successful.

Concur.  This isn't about like-ability, folks.  Lebron, still, is the single most impactful player who you can put in any team and elevate them into at least contender status, no matter who else is on that team.  As much as I 'like' some of those other players more, I'm not sure you can say that about them.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 02:23:24 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Lebron.

Only guy there to always get to the finals, even when changing teams. 

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 02:28:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
How can you start to build a team with a player if you are only going to have that player for one year? If you choose a superduperstar and build around that player, after a year the team you built is screwed. And let's face it, teams you rebuild in one year don't usually win a championship in that first year, like the 2007-08 Celtics did. That C's team is the exception to the rule. It usually takes years for a core to be together to win a championship.

So if I have to choose one player and know that player is going to be gone after one year I would choose a player who after I lost them I could replace them with a better player. Also the player I lost would need to be paid big bucks, so that the year his cash comes off the books, it opens up space to sign a max level free agent to a four year deal.

So I guess someone like Derrick Rose. He would be a serviceable PG for a year, I could build a competent team around him, then after his $21 million comes off the books I would sign Steph Curry to a huge four year deal, have the great team around him in place and be contenders for 4 years instead of one.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 02:39:15 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 02:35:33 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437

This. LeBron is so much easier to build around. He can carry a team and is so versatile in what he brings to the table (even though I don't like him at all).  I wonder how Curry would be if he didn't have so many elite shooters and defenders around him.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 02:55:48 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
I am the sole vote for Anthony Davis.
When fully healthy I think he is the best player in the NBA, put him on a good team I think it would be an unstoppable force.

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2016, 03:04:09 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Anthony Davis is pretty tempting. He would be a monster if utilized properly as a center instead of as a power forward.