Author Topic: Jimmy butler is available  (Read 8015 times)

Re: Jimmy butler is available
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2016, 01:18:40 PM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
How can't you justify trading the Brooklyn pick if top 2? Butler is a star, top 10 level talent in the NBA.. you give up the Brooklyn pick regardless of where it sits for him. No questions asked in my opinion.

1a. Steph Curry
1b. Lebron
2. Russell Westbrook
3.  Kevin Durant
4.  James Harden
5.  Anthony Davis
6.  Blake Griffin
7.  Paul George
8.  John Wall
9.  Kawhi Leonard
10.  Boogie Cousins

I wouldn't say he's top 10 level talent...

I don't think I'd trade a top 4 pick in this draft for Butler.  The top 4 in this draft are probably Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram, Chris Dunn or Buddy Hield, I think trading away any of those guys plus picks and/or Smart for Butler is a mistake since they all project to be among the top players at their positions.  I'm not sold on Bender at 5 so I'd trade him for Butler.

I'm not actually down on Butler, but Chicago has already tried to pair him with a ball dominant guard in Derrick Rose and it's been a mess.  if you picked up Butler you're going to be taking the ball out of Isaiah's hands a lot.   

It's funny how we treat some players like they are great, top 10 all the time of their careers. I say be reseonable and take look at their teams play and their offcourt behaviour and their leadership. For me, top 10 player is a whole package: great player, great teammate and most of all great person.
With that said, I have problem with some players on your list (assuming you listed top 10 atm).

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2016, 06:34:22 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
My top 10 list is open to debate, I just named 10 players off the top of my head that I thought were more valuable than Jimmy Butler.

And to be clear, I really like Jimmy Butler, but I can't say that his value is that much higher than Gordan Hayward, or Demar Derozan, or even Brandon Knight right now.

What I do know is that Marcus Smart is only in his Second Year.  When Butler was in his second year in the league he was scoring 8.6 PPG. In Butler's third year in the league he shot .283 from three for the season.  I think it's way too early to trade Smart AND a lottery pick for another ball dominant wing especially when we already have a ball dominant all-star  guard.

I'd trade Smart and the Mavs and Celtics pick for Butler, but not a top 4 pick in this draft.

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2016, 07:08:29 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
If BUTLER IS THIS GOOD...why is Chicago willing to trade him?

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2016, 07:13:35 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
full out tank for tatum?

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2016, 07:22:22 PM »

Offline i believe in brad

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30

KG
Melo
CP3
Dwight
Gasol
T-Mac
Vince Carter

Few of the guys I could think of off the top of my head who were still considered VERY good at the time of being traded.  Obviously there's different reasons for every trade, but just because someone is really good doesn't mean they're untouchable.

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2016, 08:00:12 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I think I like Hield better.  Not in the short term of course, but in the long term and for the starting money.

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2016, 08:06:56 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Butler is a bit overrated.

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2016, 09:12:38 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

KG
Melo
CP3
Dwight
Gasol
T-Mac
Vince Carter

Few of the guys I could think of off the top of my head who were still considered VERY good at the time of being traded.  Obviously there's different reasons for every trade, but just because someone is really good doesn't mean they're untouchable.

Thanks for the info,  now do you care to actually answer the question that was asked?

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2016, 09:18:18 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Jimmy Butler was, until 2 weeks ago (coming back from his injury), the #11 scorer in the NBA. He is currently the #16 scorer in the NBA.
He is also a top 10 defender in the NBA.

To me, that's a top 10 player.

Our team is based on players that can switch and guard multiple positions.
He can guard Lebron or Klay Thompson, and he can even guard Curry for spurts.

He'll also score 20 points.

Perfect fit for this team IMO.

Those saying 'he'll take the ball out of IT's hands', well yeah he will, as will any other All Star player we get on this team- because IT isn't winning a championship for us with 30% usage.

The reason Chicago would trade him is because Butler is 28 years old and if they want to rebuild from the ground up with Hoiberg, Butler will get them the most return from draft picks/young assets.

Go to the Bulls forum on RealGM and see the thread about this to get a better understanding.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2016, 09:20:25 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Jimmy Butler was, until 2 weeks ago (coming back from his injury), the #11 scorer in the NBA. He is currently the #16 scorer in the NBA.
He is also a top 10 defender in the NBA.

To me, that's a top 10 player.

Our team is based on players that can switch and guard multiple positions.
He can guard Lebron or Klay Thompson, and he can even guard Curry for spurts.

He'll also score 20 points.

Perfect fit for this team IMO.

Those saying 'he'll take the ball out of IT's hands', well yeah he will, as will any other All Star player we get on this team- because IT isn't winning a championship for us with 30% usage.

If anything, it makes IT a more efficient player. No longer does he have to be the only guy attempting shots every possession. And he won't be the primary focus of the defense.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2016, 09:35:32 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I'd love to see marcus, bradley, and butler together on defense.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2016, 10:14:46 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

My Max offer that the Bulls would consider Is Amir and Rozier who they loved predraft, Brooklyn's Pick, Celtics pick, 31st pick all this year.

We don't need Horford if we land Butler. Just resigning Sully and Turner will do if we land Durant and Butler.

Thomas
 Butler
 Durant
 Crowder
 Sullinger

Best defensive team ever.

Smart
 Bradley
 Butler
 Crowder

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2016, 10:18:02 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Bulter
Durrant
Cousins
George

Are high Impact players

Next level

Horford or Love

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2016, 10:22:02 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

My Max offer that the Bulls would consider Is Amir and Rozier who they loved predraft, Brooklyn's Pick, Celtics pick, 31st pick all this year.

We don't need Horford if we land Butler. Just resigning Sully and Turner will do if we land Durant and Butler.

Thomas
 Butler
 Durant
 Crowder
 Sullinger

Best defensive team ever.

Smart
 Bradley
 Butler
 Crowder
That would be amazing.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2016, 10:33:23 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
as long as Butler doesn't go all "Lance Stephenson" on us---give up the 2016 Brooklyn/Amir/Smart or Bradley...plus a couple of 2nd rounders---we gots too many.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.