Author Topic: Should the Celtics try to trade for Jahil Okafor this summer?  (Read 11727 times)

Re: Should the Celtics try to trade for Jahil Okafor this summer?
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2016, 01:37:21 AM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
^ Excellent post.

Surrounded with real NBA players who can get him the ball and not leave him holding the bag on broken defensive possessions, Okafor can be a star caliber offensive player and get by on defense, perhaps even grow into a solid defensive player.

Jahlil as a rookie showed he can do things that very few other players in the league can do.  In some cases, he made plays I'm not sure anybody else can make.  That's the kind of talent you want when you're putting together a contender.

Thank you sir. I agree with everything here
I agree with both of you.  Okafor will be a monster in the paint for a decade.  I'd take him over Ingram every day of the week.

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2016, 04:31:42 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
No - there are a bunch of guys in this draft who I'd take over Okafor. 

Too one dimensional, and the cost of acquiring him would be far too high.  I'd rather go after Noel than Okafor, and in all honest I'd even rather gamble on Embiid than trade for Okafor.  At least Embiid has potential to be a versatile, two-way player one day.

Okafor is just far, far too one dimensional.

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2016, 04:42:42 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Think pick has to be 6 or lower to trade it for Okafor. I have 5 guys more valuable than Okafor. Dunn, Heild, Bender, Simmons and Ingram. And as far as fit Okafor is a little old school and doesn't show enough defensively. There is also maturity/character concerns already. 76ers will be lucky to flip Okafor for a top 10 pick. Just think Brown, Lab, Ellenson, Sabonis, and Poeltl are top 10 worthy guys with potential and less concerns. At this point I have 8 guys I'd rather draft than bring in Okafor.

I agree, in that I also have about 5 or 6 guys in the lottery I value higher than Okafor.  For me they would be:

* Ben Simmons
* Brandon Ingram
* Jaylen Brown
* Buddy Hield
* Kris Dunn
* Demetrius Jackson (not a good fit, but I think he has star potential)

Even Poeltl looks pretty good.

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2016, 05:36:30 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
There is some crazy talk in this thread.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2016, 05:48:29 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
This guy is now officially underrated. Count me among those who saw a lot of flaws in his game this year, but the idea that a rookie in Philly is anywhere near a finished product is crazy. A player who averages 17/7 as a 20 year-old rookie is all of a sudden riskier than the 6th or 7th best guy in the draft? No.

He's big, he's slow, yes. There will be times where the other team counters with a stretch 5. However, this is still basketball. Mismatches cut both ways and if you try to guard Okafor with Kevin Love all game he's liable to put up 40/20 that night. His floor is probably Al Jefferson, who was pretty darn good until his body betrayed him.

Risk? Yes. Reward? Yes. I love that the game has progressed towards more analytics, and emphasis on defense. But don't be deluded into thinking talent isn't the #1 factor still. Dude can play.

« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2016, 05:53:30 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
The original question is should they try to trade for Okafor.  Of course they should try but they shouldn't overpay.

I like Okafor.  I don't like that he hurt his knee but if the doctors say he has healed, I would definitely be willing to make a trade for him.

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2016, 06:04:25 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
I'm sick and tired of this Buddy Heild talk. Whoever drafts him in the top 5 in the draft is going to regret it. You guys act like he is going to be the next Steph Curry when in reality, at his very very best, he may be a Klay-esque palyer. A player that is a knock down spot up shooter that can also create off the dribble, but is predominately a 2nd to 3rd option. More realistically he's a Jodie Meeks type of player that can operate off the dribble. Hes not even close to Okafor's level as a prospect or player. The only player that I would say is in Okafor's level as a prospect is Ben Simmons and honestly I think that Simmons would have contended for 1 last year if he were available.

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2016, 06:11:05 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
There is some crazy talk in this thread.
Agreed! Just think this is only the 4th Okafor thread in the last few weeks. We got way more on the way!