Author Topic: Should the Celtics try to trade for Jahil Okafor this summer?  (Read 11716 times)

Re: Should the Celtics try to trade for Jahil Okafor this summer?
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2016, 02:49:44 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
If you are just looking at scoring you aren't evaluating the player completely.

If you aren't considering the context in which Okafor has played his rookie season you aren't evaluating the player completely, either.

You kidding me right? I mentioned style of play and fit. Also character concerns. Okafor is more Big Al and less Cousins in play style. And C's can out right sign Big Al, or trade for a Z-Bo. Okafor beyond the scoring doesn't give you much to look forward to. Also on the character issues, MCW and Noel weren't acting out their rookie years so let's not blame everything on the 76ers. Okafor is old school and there are indeed character concerns. He has some good numbers and bad ones. If you want to deal a top 6 pick for that, then that is you. I'd just spend 8 million in FA and bring back Big Al.
Big Al and ZBo aren't 20 year old rookies either. 

And for the record, if you combined Al and Zach's rookie years (when each was 20), they still have lesser numbers than Okafor does right now.

I really think that Greg Monroe and Pau Gasol are better player comps.  Brook Lopez, too, though I think Okafor is a lot more agile than Brook.

Quality players, not the best in terms of rim protection.  Need the right situation to make a major impact.

I would take Okafor over Big Al all day every day and 14 times on Sunday.

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2016, 04:00:36 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I've always felt that our interest in Okafor was in sending him to a third team for a star, because a team sending off a star often wants a young player with star potential, rather than a pick, because the player is more of a known commodity and thus less risky.  As a player, I think he's too immature, both in terms of personality and basketball ability, to be a better fit for this team than any generic top 4 pick.

I agree with this because I seriously doubt Philly would agree to any trade, no matter what we offered, where Okafor will play for the Celtics in their division.  It just does not happen. We did this with Brooklyn, but the circumstances were completely different, sending guys out in their twilight years, rebuilding from scratch, and getting a ridiculously rich (stupid, really) offer from the Nets.

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2016, 04:02:16 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I've always felt that our interest in Okafor was in sending him to a third team for a star, because a team sending off a star often wants a young player with star potential, rather than a pick, because the player is more of a known commodity and thus less risky.  As a player, I think he's too immature, both in terms of personality and basketball ability, to be a better fit for this team than any generic top 4 pick.

I agree with this because I seriously doubt Philly would agree to any trade, no matter what we offered, where Okafor will play for the Celtics in their division.  It just does not happen. We did this with Brooklyn, but the circumstances were completely different, sending guys out in their twilight years, rebuilding from scratch, and getting a ridiculously rich (stupid, really) offer from the Nets.
Philly will trade Okafor to the team that gives it the best package.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2016, 04:11:34 PM »

Offline TheTruth

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 13
As disappointed as I am with Smart, I would rather roll the dice on him than Okafor.

I'd be more interested in Noel for Smart.

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2016, 04:13:18 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

I can't believe Philly has an appetite for still more picks at this point. So I don't see them as cycling picks for young potential stars. If the C's are to do a deal with Philly I expect they'll have to trade back talent.

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2016, 04:55:47 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I can't believe Philly has an appetite for still more picks at this point. So I don't see them as cycling picks for young potential stars. If the C's are to do a deal with Philly I expect they'll have to trade back talent.

If they don't believe Okafor is a player they can build around, they absolutely should trade him for picks.  Any skilled veteran is going to chafe there, the environment is so toxic.  A player from the 2013 draft class is eligible for a large extension this summer.  They've already got one of those guys with Noel.  Get another, and you'll quickly fritter away all your 2017 cap space before you have the opportunity to spend it.  Meanwhile they still have to figure out what to do with Embiid.  It's really difficult to see this team being competitive in even two seasons.  Makes sense to try to keep hitting cost-controlled home runs, and then splurge in free agency once you hit one.

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2016, 05:27:49 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
I'd say if the pick is outside the top 3 the Celts should definitely go all-in on trading for Okafor / Jabari or whoever.

This
DKC Suns

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2016, 05:38:15 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Hook 'Em

That's not the shot chart of someone who can only play inside. At 20-years-old, he's undeniably an offensive prodigy. Here's a taste of his abilities - a career high 31 against Dallas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKnwVCBkeEg

He's unstoppable one-on-one and should command a double-team most times he touches the ball. That in itself is extremely valuable -- especially since Boston can surround him with shooters like IT, Bradley, Crowder, Olynyk, etc. He averaged 20 pts on 63% FG after the all star break. Again, he's 20.

There's no doubt he needs to improve his defense. He often shows little-to-no interest on that end, which is definitely disconcerting.

However, his nightmare supporting cast in Philly doesn't help. Hollis Thompson, Isaiah Canaan, Nik Stauskas, etc have no hope of containing penetration. Jah is a bit of a sitting duck there.

Boston -- with so many elite perimeter defenders -- is one of few teams who can hide him in my opinion.

If we don't land a potential star, i.e. Simmons, Ingram or Bender, we should go all in on Jah. Given we'd probably need to add a sweetener, but the deal is a no-brainer for Philly if Dunn or Murray is on the board.

DKC Suns

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2016, 05:58:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
^ Excellent post.

Surrounded with real NBA players who can get him the ball and not leave him holding the bag on broken defensive possessions, Okafor can be a star caliber offensive player and get by on defense, perhaps even grow into a solid defensive player.

Jahlil as a rookie showed he can do things that very few other players in the league can do.  In some cases, he made plays I'm not sure anybody else can make.  That's the kind of talent you want when you're putting together a contender.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2016, 06:02:34 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Hook 'Em
^ Excellent post.

Surrounded with real NBA players who can get him the ball and not leave him holding the bag on broken defensive possessions, Okafor can be a star caliber offensive player and get by on defense, perhaps even grow into a solid defensive player.

Jahlil as a rookie showed he can do things that very few other players in the league can do.  In some cases, he made plays I'm not sure anybody else can make.  That's the kind of talent you want when you're putting together a contender.

Thank you sir. I agree with everything here
DKC Suns

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2016, 06:40:08 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

I disagree.  If Boston's package is significantly better, then yes, in that case, if they really are intent on moving him, they will. If Boston's package is only slightly better, then I think Philly does not deal him to Boston. If the packages are of equal value, then obviously they trade him outside the division. An offer outside the conference has even more added value. 

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2016, 10:27:19 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If Stevens would make Okafor come off the bench if he doesn't improve his defense, will Okafor try hard enough to not get benched in the first place, will he react appropriately and change his ways if his play is poor enough to deserve losing a starting job, or will he react negatively due to a sense of entitlement?

If Stevens will make the playing time of someone like Okafor dependent on his defensive effort, is that a bad thing?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2016, 11:51:24 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I think we should

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2016, 12:04:19 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I think we should
im glad we brought back all 3 threads and made a new one to say the exact same thing.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2016, 12:08:52 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Yes, not as option A, but it seems like a plausible avenue for upgrading the talent on the roster, specifically with regard to interior scoring, which is a big need.

Edit:

Oh, this is old.

Why are there like, four Okafor threads right now?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain