Author Topic: Should the Celtics try to trade for Jahil Okafor this summer?  (Read 11673 times)

Re: Should the Celtics try to trade for Jahil Okafor this summer?
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 12:00:47 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Think pick has to be 6 or lower to trade it for Okafor. I have 5 guys more valuable than Okafor. Dunn, Heild, Bender, Simmons and Ingram. And as far as fit Okafor is a little old school and doesn't show enough defensively. There is also maturity/character concerns already. 76ers will be lucky to flip Okafor for a top 10 pick. Just think Brown, Lab, Ellenson, Sabonis, and Poeltl are top 10 worthy guys with potential and less concerns. At this point I have 8 guys I'd rather draft than bring in Okafor.
I think this is a pretty silly post.  In 30 minutes a game, Okafor is averaging 17.5/7 on over 50% from the field and 69% from the line.  He isn't turning it over very much for a guy with the ball in his hand as much as he has it and is blocking over a shot a game.  This from a 20 year old rookie on the worst team in basketball who is starting with a guy that plays the same position as he does.

Okafor will require a pretty hefty price tag to acquire and Philly will get it (if they choose to trade him).

This is a silly post. Different numbers tell different stories. 76ers have been worse with Okafor in the lineup. They even bench him late at times. If you are just looking at scoring you aren't evaluating the player completely.

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 12:10:36 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If you are just looking at scoring you aren't evaluating the player completely.

If you aren't considering the context in which Okafor has played his rookie season you aren't evaluating the player completely, either.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2016, 12:21:24 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

If you aren't considering the context in which Okafor has played his rookie season you aren't evaluating the player completely, either.

You kidding me right? I mentioned style of play and fit. Also character concerns. Okafor is more Big Al and less Cousins in play style. And C's can out right sign Big Al, or trade for a Z-Bo. Okafor beyond the scoring doesn't give you much to look forward to. Also on the character issues, MCW and Noel weren't acting out their rookie years so let's not blame everything on the 76ers. Okafor is old school and there are indeed character concerns. He has some good numbers and bad ones. If you want to deal a top 6 pick for that, then that is you. I'd just spend 8 million in FA and bring back Big Al.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 12:36:26 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2016, 12:22:03 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

So its the organization's fault that his defense is atrocious?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2016, 12:38:19 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

It could be. Defense is largely effort based; and how can anyone on the Sixers be expected to put his full effort forth when the organization is actively trying to lose?

And if you want proof that a wayward organization can ruin a young player, you need look no further back than the case of one Antoine Walker in the mid to late '90s where he was allowed (and sometimes encouraged) to freelance and jack up threes on a whim.

Thankfully, if we were to get Okafor this summer, he'd have only spent one year in a toxic environment.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 12:51:49 PM by Jon »

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2016, 12:40:24 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

It could be. Defense is largely effort based; and how can anyone on the Sixers be expected to out his full effort forth when the organization is actively trying to lose?

And if you want proof that a wayward organization can ruin a young player, you need look no further back than the case of one Antoine Walker in the mid to late '90s where he was allowed (and sometimes encouraged) to freelance and jack up threes on a whim.

Thankfully, if we were to get Okafor this summer, he'd have only spent one year in a toxic environment.

I'd agree that an organization can be toxic to an extent. You're right on with the Antoine thing.  But Okafor's defense at Duke wasn't anything to write home about either.

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2016, 12:43:49 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
i just don't get what's going on in philly, it's like they have no idea of what they are doing... they drafted MCW then traded him for nothing, now they want to do the same with okafor.
so they intentionally tank for the last 4 years to draft MCW, trade him, draft a injured Embid, draft overseas Saric, draft Okafor and want to trade him, seriously...
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2016, 12:55:31 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

It could be. Defense is largely effort based; and how can anyone on the Sixers be expected to out his full effort forth when the organization is actively trying to lose?

I'd agree that an organization can be toxic to an extent. You're right on with the Antoine thing.  But Okafor's defense at Duke wasn't anything to write home about either.

I'm not suggesting he's going to turn into Bill Russell when he dons the green. However; considering that Ray Allen (and to an extent Paul Pierce) weren't known as good defenders through most of their careers, and then vastly improved when they played on a team and under a coach that pushed them, I think Okafor definitely can improve.

I still don't love Okafor, but I wouldn't dismiss him given his age and where he played his first year of ball.

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2016, 01:30:34 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

I'm not suggesting he's going to turn into Bill Russell when he dons the green. However; considering that Ray Allen (and to an extent Paul Pierce) weren't known as good defenders through most of their careers, and then vastly improved when they played on a team and under a coach that pushed them, I think Okafor definitely can improve.

I still don't love Okafor, but I wouldn't dismiss him given his age and where he played his first year of ball.

I'm trying to be careful not to dismiss him as a player.  He's just someone I would want the Celtics to give up a boatload of assets to acquire.

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2016, 01:39:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Kinda, yeah.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2016, 01:41:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

You kidding me right? I mentioned style of play and fit.

And yet you point to on / off numbers (for a 9 win team) as if they are hard evidence that Okafor is not a good player.

Okafor never really had a chance of being a positive contributor to that Sixers team.  Horrible fit from day one.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2016, 01:45:49 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Id try to give up a player and 2018 brooklyn pick for him

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2016, 01:49:27 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

You kidding me right? I mentioned style of play and fit. Also character concerns. Okafor is more Big Al and less Cousins in play style. And C's can out right sign Big Al, or trade for a Z-Bo. Okafor beyond the scoring doesn't give you much to look forward to. Also on the character issues, MCW and Noel weren't acting out their rookie years so let's not blame everything on the 76ers. Okafor is old school and there are indeed character concerns. He has some good numbers and bad ones. If you want to deal a top 6 pick for that, then that is you. I'd just spend 8 million in FA and bring back Big Al.
Big Al and ZBo aren't 20 year old rookies either. 

And for the record, if you combined Al and Zach's rookie years (when each was 20), they still have lesser numbers than Okafor does right now. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2016, 02:03:32 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

And for the record, if you combined Al and Zach's rookie years (when each was 20), they still have lesser numbers than Okafor does right now.
Just saying right now they give you the same thing.

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2016, 02:24:36 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I really think that Greg Monroe and Pau Gasol are better player comps.  Brook Lopez, too, though I think Okafor is a lot more agile than Brook.

Quality players, not the best in terms of rim protection.  Need the right situation to make a major impact. 
- Mark Twain