Author Topic: Here’s what would happen if the 1985-86 Celtics played this year’s Warriors  (Read 5724 times)

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
My first thought was: "who would guard McHale?".

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

"I would", says Draymond.

Seriously though, by the time KM shaked and baked the poor guy during a 7-game series (if it even went that far) he'd probably remember the series as the hardest one in his life.

As for the rest of the team I'm certain that DJ would draw Curry....and would have a heck of a time with him, TBH. But he's slow Steph down.

Klay is another problem. I'm not too sure who would guard him. Danny?

Andre Iguodala would draw Larry.

Such a series would be tougher for us than our Green-Tinted eyes would care to fathom. But I think we'd still win.

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Seriously though, by the time KM shaked and baked the poor guy during a 7-game series (if it even went that far) he'd probably remember the series as the hardest one in his life.

As for the rest of the team I'm certain that DJ would draw Curry....and would have a heck of a time with him, TBH. But he's slow Steph down.

Such a series would be tougher for us than our Green-Tinted eyes would care to fathom. But I think we'd still win.

It would probably be the other way around. Ainge usually covered the PG's, DJ the shooting guards. Ainge was usually on guys like Isiah because their foot speed was a problem for DJ.

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

It would probably be the other way around. Ainge usually covered the PG's, DJ the shooting guards. Ainge was usually on guys like Isiah because their foot speed was a problem for DJ.

See, that's the thing that would scare me in a single game (or series) vs a team like GSW.

I really think that their backcourt would destroy us, or do significant damage at least.

I don't care how much KM, Chief or Bill would hurt GSW down low, 3 points is more than two.

Steph, Klay, Draymond, AI, Harrison and a few players from their bench would rain down a significant number of threes on us.

After they got their shots smacked back in their faces enough by our frontline they'd surely try to hurt us from outside.

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Is fighting legal as it was back then? 86 Celtics would be in fight mode and wont back down, GSW might just get their feeling hurt.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
we had our long range bombers too though.

Don't forget the Green Team..... they have no answer for that bench.

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Is fighting legal as it was back then? 86 Celtics would be in fight mode and wont back down, GSW might just get their feeling hurt.

LOL.

I don't see GSW as having anyone that BOS would love to take down, though.

Kevin McHale cloths-lined Magic and Rambis (LOVED IT, still do) and Chief gave Laimbeer a shot across his chest and neck, but these Warriors have NO ONE on their team I really dislike.

Back then, we really did not have any enforcers on this team I don't recall. We'd fight (and often did) but it seemed to be in retaliation to something else (Like Sampson's play in the HOU series).

I really couldn't see Kevin or Larry putting out a contract on Steph.

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
we had our long range bombers too though.

Don't forget the Green Team..... they have no answer for that bench.

True.

But GSW has a good bench too.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
How many threes did the 86 team attempt per game?

I think it would basically depend on what ruleset we're gonna use -- the '86 rules, or the '2016 rules?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Size kills. The Celts had 4 guys 6'10" and over.  They would impose their will on the Warriors, who just wouldn't have the personnel to match up over 48 minutes.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
How many threes did the 86 team attempt per game?

I think it would basically depend on what ruleset we're gonna use -- the '86 rules, or the '2016 rules?

I don't know, but I believe we would thrive in the new rules and they would struggle playing the more physical old rules. I know Wedman was an assassin but I cant remember how proficient he was from three point land.

Re: Here’s what would happen if the 1985
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2016, 05:45:33 PM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I think when you look at how much success Cleveland had going big against the Warriors in the Finals last year (getting up 2-1) despite being grossly outmatched in talent, it suggests that small ball isn't inherently better its just that there aren't any "big ball" teams right now that are as good at what they do as the Warriors are at what the Warriors do.

Those Celtics could kill the Warriors on the board. I don't know that Bogut is fast enough to keep up with Parish and going small for the Warriors would mean a wing would have to guard one of those guys and they'd get killed for it, I think.

The biggest problem for the C's would be DJ's lack of a jump shot. It would be a fun game but I'd never bet against that '86 team.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
This is, of course all just silly "what ifs", but I disagree that the game would be decided by GSW's back-court dominating.  Ainge and DJ were both fantastic defenders.  Sure, if we played by modern no-hand-check rules, they aren't going to shut the splash bros down.  But they aren't going to let them go crazy. If they can't be checked, their own offense suddenly gets a kick.   And if they play by 1986 rules ...

And Wedman and Sichting were also both great scorers off the bench.

To me, the question is who is going to slow down the scoring of Bird-McHale-Parrish.  Green, Bogut, Barnes & Ezeli are good defenders, but they haven't played any modern front court like those three.  All three of Bird-McHale-Parrish required either your best defender or a double-team to defend. Throw in Walton and it isn't really fair.  McHale and Walton were foul-generating machines.  They would be going to the free throw line constantly.  Bird could score from anywhere on the floor.

Who do you put your best defender (Green) on?  Bird?  McHale & Parrish will eat up Bogut & Barnes.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Size kills. The Celts had 4 guys 6'10" and over.  They would impose their will on the Warriors, who just wouldn't have the personnel to match up over 48 minutes.

I dunno, the Warriors' death lineup has been killing size for most of the last two years.

Realistically, neither the Warriors nor the Celts would have any idea how to defend the other.  The Warriors haven't faced any opponents with the kind of post scoring proficiency that the 86 Celts could bring to bear.

On the other hand, the 86 Celts wouldn't have any idea how to defend Curry and Klay.  Did the 86 Celts ever play against serious contenders employing small ball, 4-out or 5-out lineups?

NBA teams today struggle to put guys on the floor disciplined enough to stay with the Warriors' deadly shooters.  How could players from an era where three pointers were almost a gimmick shot, a haymaker, hope to play the kind of disciplined defense all the way out to the perimeter that is required to have a chance against the Warriors?

That goes double if we're playing with the current rules that don't allow many of the physical defensive tactics that were a big part of defense (when teams bothered to play defense) in the 80's.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain