Author Topic: My Hunch: Ainge's plan to lure Durant involves Whiteside  (Read 6887 times)

Re: My Hunch: Ainge's plan to lure Durant involves Whiteside
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2016, 08:48:58 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I'm just bumping this thread from a few months ago. I still have the nagging suspicion that Whiteside is an underrated domino in next week's FA. 

If you're Durant, how attractive do the Cs look with the current squad and coach, plus Whiteside, plus asset central?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2016, 09:04:38 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm just bumping this thread from a few months ago. I still have the nagging suspicion that Whiteside is an underrated domino in next week's FA. 

If you're Durant, how attractive do the Cs look with the current squad and coach, plus Whiteside, plus asset central?

I think within 24 hours of FA we will see Whiteside either go to LAL or stay in MIA. I feel like he will go to LAL unless LAL like Biyombo or Ezeli more at ~15M/Year.

Celtics make an offer but honestly I think a lot of teams will offer him a max and it will be Whiteside's choice at the end.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2016, 09:08:03 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

My only argument over Whiteside versus Horford, is spacing versatility, Horford still an adequate defender, and have numerous playoff experience without the headcase issues. Horford would look and fit great next to Durant, and Whiteside could still arguably score over 70% with defenses focused on Durant.

I think within 24 hours of FA we will see Whiteside either go to LAL or stay in MIA. I feel like he will go to LAL unless LAL like Biyombo or Ezeli more at ~15M/Year.

Celtics make an offer but honestly I think a lot of teams will offer him a max and it will be Whiteside's choice at the end.

I think Whiteside is destined to be a Laker. He seems like a guy who would love the bright lights, and everything focused in on him. Westbrook and Whiteside. What a deadly duo.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2016, 09:13:13 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

My only argument over Whiteside versus Horford, is spacing versatility, Horford still an adequate defender, and have numerous playoff experience without the headcase issues. Horford would look and fit great next to Durant, and Whiteside could still arguably score over 70% with defenses focused on Durant.

I get that Whiteside isn't Bill Russell, but just making him into Larry Sanders is premature. Te Bulls got by just fine with Dennis Rodman.

As I stated at the beginning of this thread, can you imagine the match-up nightmares of Thomas, Durant, Whiteside, Brown and a spot up guy like Bradley? F U N spells fun!!!
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2016, 09:19:58 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I'm not a Whiteside fan, my impression is similar to others who think he would be Larry Sanders 2.0

My only doubt on that though, which gives me some hope that he will continue to develop and want to win, is that he reportedly has a good relationship with Bill Russell. It might not mean much, but you never know.

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2016, 12:53:21 PM »

Offline Grindfather

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 61
  • First Team All-Defense

I get that Whiteside isn't Bill Russell, but just making him into Larry Sanders is premature. Te Bulls got by just fine with Dennis Rodman.

As I stated at the beginning of this thread, can you imagine the match-up nightmares of Thomas, Durant, Whiteside, Brown and a spot up guy like Bradley? F U N spells fun!!!

Dennis Rodman was one of the best rebounders in league history and has much more in common with Bill Russell than Larry Sanders, so maybe not the best comparison. 

My biggest concern with Whiteside is not that he is a miserable wretch that is going to destroy team chemistry or that he's going to totally quit once he gets his money, it's that he's just not that good a defender.  He has all the physical tools to become one, but it worries me that he's 27 and he's not there yet.  Sure he can block shots, but he's constantly out of position either chasing blocks or because he doesn't know where to be.  His greatest strength, shot blocker (not rim protecting), can be neutralized by pulling him out of the paint either by switching or by playing a shooting big against him. 

The counter to this is the "bbb-but, but, Brad Stevens can...", which I'm not buying.  Miami has a really good coach and a great infrastructure, but they couldn't get him to totally buy in on defense.  I don't think he's going get $90m and suddenly flip a switch to become a great team defender. I'm concerned that he is just selfish enough and just lazy enough to never full put it together, which is something that would be endlessly frustrating to a hardworking superstar like KD. 

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2016, 01:00:25 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Dennis Rodman was one of the best rebounders in league history and has much more in common with Bill Russell than Larry Sanders, so maybe not the best comparison. 

My biggest concern with Whiteside is not that he is a miserable wretch that is going to destroy team chemistry or that he's going to totally quit once he gets his money, it's that he's just not that good a defender.  He has all the physical tools to become one, but it worries me that he's 27 and he's not there yet.  Sure he can block shots, but he's constantly out of position either chasing blocks or because he doesn't know where to be.  His greatest strength, shot blocker (not rim protecting), can be neutralized by pulling him out of the paint either by switching or by playing a shooting big against him. 

The counter to this is the "bbb-but, but, Brad Stevens can...", which I'm not buying.  Miami has a really good coach and a great infrastructure, but they couldn't get him to totally buy in on defense.  I don't think he's going get $90m and suddenly flip a switch to become a great team defender. I'm concerned that he is just selfish enough and just lazy enough to never full put it together, which is something that would be endlessly frustrating to a hardworking superstar like KD.

I recognize that Whiteside is not a terrific man defender. But I think you're underestimating the impact he has on the paint, and moreover how opponents run their offense. He could also be a killer P-N-R option on a well built team. Try to imagine he and Durant running the P-N-R in the high post, and try not to smile.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2016, 01:19:01 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Breaking:  we're not getting durant

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2016, 01:25:10 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Source?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2016, 01:40:11 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

Probably not but I'd say we have the 4th best odds out of 6.

Clippers can't pay him max and Heat are losing all their players.

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2016, 10:33:19 AM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Not anymore!  Whiteside, he gone