Author Topic: My Hunch: Ainge's plan to lure Durant involves Whiteside  (Read 6909 times)

Re: My Hunch: Ainge's plan to lure Durant involves Whiteside
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2016, 08:42:43 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Insightful, well-thought out OP, spence.  And no shame in being wrong  on this one ;)
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2016, 08:46:28 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I think it will take a big move to get KD. Mainly nothing less than Anthony Davis.

Simmons/Ingram, Dallas pick, AJ, JJ, Rozier, Mickey and 2018 Nets pick for Davis and Asik. Not sure Pelicans would go for it unless you can sell them on stepping back to build off the 2016 draft. It's a huge long shot. But if they do then do

Draft package 23, 31, and 35 for Lab.
Draft Yogi, Finn-Smith and Warney all seniors after in the 2nd.

Then you can sell KD on signing here with
Starters=IT, AB, KD, AD, KO
Main Bench=Smart, Hunter, Crowder, Asik
Reserve Bench=Yogi, Young, Smith, Lab, Warney.

The starters would have a big three and perfect role players.
The bench would feature great defenders and hustle guys.
The reserve has 4 seniors to get going quickly and two projects.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 12:49:55 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2016, 09:04:02 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
If Whiteside got private ft shooting lessons from one of the Barry's to shoot "granny-style", then I'd like him here......same goes for Drummond
don't forget the lessons on how to pass the basketball. durant wont like a teammate who doesnt pass the ball to him.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2016, 09:10:11 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Wouldn't you want to have Boston max out a FA rather than gut the team's assets in a trade under this dreamy scenario? If you're the big star coming to play to win, you want the team as deep and loaded as possible?

That makes a Horford more attractive right there. How 'bout a Harrison Barnes max deal to pry him from GS? Load up on the wings and draft for C.

If Noah can regain form, he'd be a nice sub-max signing. Going to be a fun summer.

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2016, 09:16:09 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
Wouldn't you want to have Boston max out a FA rather than gut the team's assets in a trade under this dreamy scenario? If you're the big star coming to play to win, you want the team as deep and loaded as possible?

That makes a Horford more attractive right there. How 'bout a Harrison Barnes max deal to pry him from GS? Load up on the wings and draft for C.

If Noah can regain form, he'd be a nice sub-max signing. Going to be a fun summer.
Problem is you need a better roster and upper level talent in comparison to GS and OKC. IMO that means your only shot is Anthony Davis. There are no top 15 players in FA other than LeBron, Wade and KD himself so again you need to trade.

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2016, 09:37:23 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I think HorfordDurant would be a lot more interested in playing with Horfordthan with Whiteside.

I don't think Whiteside would be much of a draw for any star player.

I agree that Horford would be more of a draw than Durant,especially due to the fact that several NBA insiders have stated that Durant would like to play with Horford, including Zach Lowe.

However, if we're going to go after a dominant center with potential character issues, then I'd much rather go after a true two-way player/MVP candidate in Cousins.

But why does Durant want a ball dominant guy like Cousins? And one as immature as DeMarcus when he wants to win now? Don't see it.
Because in the current NBA DC is the best/most/only physically dominating CENTER with a legit offensive skill-set. He can also handle the ball, pass, run the floor, hit his ft's, extend the floor bc he can hit outside shots, and I would really like to see the 1-2 game/triangle offense Durant and Cousins would get away with; here are some of the reasons I like the pairing:
-Cousins is a 25 year old with incredible length&size, making him a player that teams will be FORCED TO PUT A BIG BODY ON, change lineups for (especially in a 7 game series), can't play small ball against us with Cousins, and the dude can run the floor.

-Inside-Outside game: The inside-outside game that Cousins and Durant would end up getting Durant a lot of 3's and clean looks for a shot or drive. They create space for teammates. Because Cousins can handle the ball and pass extremely well/over doubles/out of doubles makes him lethal with Durant because of the attention and focus he gets on offense from the other team.

-Cousins and Durant would grab a hell of a lot of rebounds

-Their length would help in many ways on the court together
-Both have a lot of basketball left

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2016, 09:44:04 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Horford would attract Durant much more so than Whiteside.

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2016, 09:46:47 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Sorry, makes no sense.

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2016, 09:49:36 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Sorry, makes no sense.

Makes sense when you consider that Durant doesn't play fantasy basketball.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2016, 10:11:30 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Scared of whiteside' effect on locker room. Also don't the heat play better with him off the court? Seems to me like he's another "good stats but negative effect" guy, ala rondo towards the end of his time here.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2016, 10:16:14 PM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
pfft bring on whiteside! I put it like this, people work better with people they relate too. Lebrick James is an testament too this as he plays better when he is playing with FRIENDS. Maybe whiteside would find better friends in Boston than Miami, maybe not.

I am also the one who said cousins and rondo belong with each other because they are like freaking brothers. I see the way they handle each other and they are the only ones who can calm each other down. Its more of a friendship thing when it comes to chemistry.

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2016, 10:58:04 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I can't shake the feeling that Whiteside is the next Larry Sanders: give him a fat contract, and watch him fade into Bolivia.

Yeah.

My hunch is the team that invests heavily in Whiteside will come to regret it.

I agree. If for some reason we can't get Horford, I'd way rather wait until 2017. I'd be happy to offer Whiteside a 2 year max deal, but he probably won't take it.

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2016, 12:29:51 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
I can't shake the feeling that Whiteside is the next Larry Sanders: give him a fat contract, and watch him fade into Bolivia.

Yeah.

My hunch is the team that invests heavily in Whiteside will come to regret it.

I agree. If for some reason we can't get Horford, I'd way rather wait until 2017. I'd be happy to offer Whiteside a 2 year max deal, but he probably won't take it.
+1

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2016, 01:01:14 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Can't see this happening unless we are very desperate to sign a good player this off season. Reason why is the fact that I can't see how Whiteside would fit in Stevens' system. A player like Horford would be a better alternative to Whiteside despite that he's a lot older.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2016, 01:31:57 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I think HorfordDurant would be a lot more interested in playing with Horfordthan with Whiteside.

I don't think Whiteside would be much of a draw for any star player.

Exactly.  Getting Horford lures a Durant & company more than a Whiteside.

I think this has been the assumption -- I get it. I'm question that it's so set in stone.

Does Horford really move the needle? Maybe Durant's dying to play with Al, but from a basketball perspective, and i think there's a real question as to fit and value of Horford over Whiteside on the current Cs squad + Durant.

Horford, as someone with a reasonable case for being a current top 20-25 player, moves the needle sufficiently that the Celtics would be a legitimate title contender with him but no Durant.

I think there's a real question as to Whiteside's fit on the Celtics.  Horford, as a big man who can score inside and outside while passing the ball and having defense that is greater than his offense, seems like an ideal fit under Stevens.

Horford's a top 20 player? I don't agree.

As for Whiteside's fit, Stevens has never had an NBA player like Whiteside. With the perimeter players the Cs have (plus Durant), I think he'd be an outstanding compliment. He's plenty agile to work in Stevens system.

Essentially, I felt certain this thread would go like this -- which is why I opened it. I feel like these talk tracks develop around guys to stop being questions.

Horford's solid. He's a good guy. He wants to win. He and IT bonded at the ASG. He's friends with Durant. So it's a given we should him a max deal, when he's had a deep injury history and is on the downside of his career? If Durant wants him and is willing to come to Boston, it certainly is. But I personally doubt Durant thought process is as cut and dried as folks make it sound.

Whiteside... he's a knucklehead. He's selfish. He's the Rondo of centers -- a stat seeker whose about him over team. He's the next Mark Blount or Larry Sanders. He's gonna get him money then punt.

I just question that. Maybe it's right, maybe not. But he brings an upside to the table Horford can't touch. He does have risk, but so does Horford.

The dude can rebound, dunk like a mo-fo on the pick-n-roll, and alter the paint for an entire game. I'm sorry, can you image a line-up of Thomas, Crowder or Bradley, Durant, Olynyk or Crowder, and Whiteside? Bring Sully, Turner and a couple of good young off the bench? Team could be in the finals for 3-4 years in a row.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)