Author Topic: My Hunch: Ainge's plan to lure Durant involves Whiteside  (Read 6910 times)

My Hunch: Ainge's plan to lure Durant involves Whiteside
« on: March 24, 2016, 06:39:11 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Ainge has long been planning how to be in a position to pitch Kevin Durant on joining the Celtics. This is not news. His diligent work as GM has allowed to create about as attractive a pitch as he could've hoped as the Big 3 wore down. We know what is it:

"Kevin, the Boston Celtics offer you a best-in-class opportunity to finish out your career as a champion and a legend. First, we're the Boston Celtics -- enough said. Second, we've built an impressive collection of gritty, skilled folks, including Brad Stevens, Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Avery Bradley (your bud from Texas), Kelly Olynyk, and others. Third, we're got the assets to draft potential start players in the next 2-3 drafts, or to trade those assets for a legit NBA All-Star. Fourth, we're in the Eastern Conference, which is ripe for a team to dominate.

Lastly, we have outstanding financial flexibility -- virtually all our players are on team-friendly deals, not to mention our ability to plug holes in the draft with our multitude of picks.

But more importantly, please pick any FA in the NBA right now, and we'll give him a max contract to play beside you."

Not bad, especially considering Durant's not a puss who prioritizes warm weather, dumb, trendy outfits and strip clubs over winning.

I've reached the conclusion that the other half of that double max contract that may attract Durant is Hassan Whiteside. Yes, I understand Whiteside has deficiencies, but he's still learning the game. And I'm aware there's concern about his attitude -- I think he's a little misunderstood, and believe a locker room with our current crew plus Durant can keep him on the straight and narrow.

But leaving aside his amazing defensive intimidation, I can't help but imagine the devastating motion offense into pick-n-roll action of a line-up including Thomas, Bradley, Crowder, Durant and Whiteside with Olynyk, Turner, and change coming off the bench, not to mention who we draft, or trade for with 2016 draft picks. Speed. Spacing. Grit. Length. Good g0d in a row boat....

Anyway we'll see what happens. But I suspect that Ainge will prioritize Whiteside over Horford, for example, unless Durant specifics someone other than Hassan (assuming we're able to get him that far in the first place)....

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: My Hunch: Ainge's plan to lure Durant involves Whiteside
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 06:45:04 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Hope not. Im not a big Whiteside guy.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 06:47:15 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I think Durant would be a lot more interested in playing with Horford than with Whiteside.

I don't think Whiteside would be much of a draw for any star player.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 07:30:13 PM by BitterJim »
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 06:49:41 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Ainge has long been planning how to be in a position to pitch Kevin Durant on joining the Celtics. This is not news. His diligent work as GM has allowed to create about as attractive a pitch as he could've hoped as the Big 3 wore down. We know what is it:

"Kevin, the Boston Celtics offer you a best-in-class opportunity to finish out your career as a champion and a legend. First, we're the Boston Celtics -- enough said. Second, we've built an impressive collection of gritty, skilled folks, including Brad Stevens, Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Avery Bradley (your bud from Texas), Kelly Olynyk, and others. Third, we're got the assets to draft potential start players in the next 2-3 drafts, or to trade those assets for a legit NBA All-Star. Fourth, we're in the Eastern Conference, which is ripe for a team to dominate.

Lastly, we have outstanding financial flexibility -- virtually all our players are on team-friendly deals, not to mention our ability to plug holes in the draft with our multitude of picks.

But more importantly, please pick any FA in the NBA right now, and we'll give him a max contract to play beside you."

Not bad, especially considering Durant's not a puss who prioritizes warm weather, dumb, trendy outfits and strip clubs over winning.

I've reached the conclusion that the other half of that double max contract that may attract Durant is Hassan Whiteside. Yes, I understand Whiteside has deficiencies, but he's still learning the game. And I'm aware there's concern about his attitude -- I think he's a little misunderstood, and believe a locker room with our current crew plus Durant can keep him on the straight and narrow.

But leaving aside his amazing defensive intimidation, I can't help but imagine the devastating motion offense into pick-n-roll action of a line-up including Thomas, Bradley, Crowder, Durant and Whiteside with Olynyk, Turner, and change coming off the bench, not to mention who we draft, or trade for with 2016 draft picks. Speed. Spacing. Grit. Length. Good g0d in a row boat....

Anyway we'll see what happens. But I suspect that Ainge will prioritize Whiteside over Horford, for example, unless Durant specifics someone other than Hassan (assuming we're able to get him that far in the first place)....

I'm assuming you're stating Whiteside is better than Horford, which I completely disagree with.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 06:51:49 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I can't shake the feeling that Whiteside is the next Larry Sanders: give him a fat contract, and watch him fade into Bolivia.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 06:53:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I can't shake the feeling that Whiteside is the next Larry Sanders: give him a fat contract, and watch him fade into Bolivia.

Yeah.

My hunch is the team that invests heavily in Whiteside will come to regret it.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 06:54:35 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
I think HorfordDurant would be a lot more interested in playing with Horfordthan with Whiteside.

I agree that Horford would be more of a draw than Durant,especially due to the fact that several NBA insiders have stated that Durant would like to play with Horford, including Zach Lowe.

However, if we're going to go after a dominant center with potential character issues, then I'd much rather go after a true two-way player/MVP candidate in Cousins.

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 06:57:28 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I think HorfordDurant would be a lot more interested in playing with Horfordthan with Whiteside.

I agree that Horford would be more of a draw than Durant,especially due to the fact that several NBA insiders have stated that Durant would like to play with Horford, including Zach Lowe.

However, if we're going to go after a dominant center with potential character issues, then I'd much rather go after a true two-way player/MVP candidate in Cousins.

But why does Durant want a ball dominant guy like Cousins? And one as immature as DeMarcus when he wants to win now? Don't see it.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 06:59:18 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Exactly.  Getting Horford lures a Durant & company more than a Whiteside.

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 07:03:34 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

I think this has been the assumption -- I get it. I'm question that it's so set in stone.

Does Horford really move the needle? Maybe Durant's dying to play with Al, but from a basketball perspective, and i think there's a real question as to fit and value of Horford over Whiteside on the current Cs squad + Durant.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 07:39:43 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Whiteside would probably keep cashing paychecks for the full value of his contract instead of taking half so he can go smoke weed.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 07:47:35 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I think this has been the assumption -- I get it. I'm question that it's so set in stone.

Does Horford really move the needle? Maybe Durant's dying to play with Al, but from a basketball perspective, and i think there's a real question as to fit and value of Horford over Whiteside on the current Cs squad + Durant.

Horford, as someone with a reasonable case for being a current top 20-25 player, moves the needle sufficiently that the Celtics would be a legitimate title contender with him but no Durant.

I think there's a real question as to Whiteside's fit on the Celtics.  Horford, as a big man who can score inside and outside while passing the ball and having defense that is greater than his offense, seems like an ideal fit under Stevens.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 08:10:38 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I personally don't think it involves Whiteside. Although interesting concept, and also in that case, I don't think a max contract of Whiteside is that expensive, we may be able to use some money to sign a fringe star as well (I am guessing, someone who is good at salary cap can answer this).

Though I do think the fact that we have IT, and the ability to let Durant choose who the next max contract person is appealing. And to throw on top of that, 2 potential lottery picks from the Nets to choose starters or good role players to help out

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 08:22:50 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I think Durant would choose Horford, but honestly who cares If IRS Whiteside we need to lure Durant let's do it, heck I'll sign Marc Blount again if that's who he wants to play with.

Point is get Durant.

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, 08:41:46 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
If Whiteside got private ft shooting lessons from one of the Barry's to shoot "granny-style", then I'd like him here......same goes for Drummond