Author Topic: OG Anunoby - next Kawhi?  (Read 7689 times)

OG Anunoby - next Kawhi?
« on: March 24, 2016, 09:35:30 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I had never even heard of this cat...now he's drawing comparisons to an NBA superstar?

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2016/3/23/11287870/og-anunoby-indiana-basketball-ncaa-tournament-2016-nba-draft

Re: OG Anunoby - next Kawhi?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 09:40:52 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I noticed him mid season, just seemed to keep making plays for a guy I'd never heard of.  Very raw but certainly has tools.

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 09:48:33 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Maybe a bit of an exaggeration to compare him to Kawhi Leonard. Saw him play against Kentucky, and I was very impressed by his defensive abilities. Conversely, I also noticed that he's very RAW on the offensive end of the floor, which is why it's a bit absurd to compare him to Kawhi Leonard, who averaged 15.5 ppg while at San Diego State compared to the 4.9 ppg that Anunoby averaged this year.

I think Rondae Hollis-Jefferson is a better comparison for Anunoby, but that's my opinion ::)
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 09:51:42 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'm in on this guy. Sure he's raw offensively, but his length and athleticism will allow him to contribute immediately while he develops. Not sure where he gets drafted if he comes out. I bet he at least tests the water due to the new ncaa rules.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 09:57:16 AM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
Danny drafting someone athletic guy with freak measurements? Nah...lets go for a tweener with no clear position or a white guy who can't jump.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 10:03:09 AM by Bosstown »

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 10:40:12 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Draft Express has him ranked 42. That will change soon.

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 10:49:50 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Danny drafting someone athletic guy with freak measurements? Nah...lets go for a tweener with no clear position or a white guy who can't jump.

This isn't a helpful post at all.

Look at Rondo, Rozier, Mickey, Bradley (to some extent), even Fab Melo. And the white guy who can't jump is essentially our best young prospect. I know people are still incredibly upset that we didn't take Giannis, but neither did a number of other teams. Besides, look at where Milwaukee is with all of their super-draft picks and stellar FA signings.

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 11:27:41 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Chad Ford

Anunoby is the real sleeper prospect to emerge from the first two rounds. He played sparingly in the first half of his freshman season but has been coming on lately. You could argue he has been Indiana's best player in the tournament.

His combination of elite athleticism, length, NBA body, defensive versatility and shooting ability make him a very attractive 3-and-D prospect. He's raw -- and not ready -- but his defense on Jamal Murray led more than one scout to declare he could be a defensive star in the NBA right now.

It's unlikely he'll declare for the draft, but if he keeps having big performances for Indiana? Who knows? With so little upside in the second half of the first round, to see Anunoby in the No. 15 to No. 25 range is not out of the question.

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 12:02:57 PM »

Offline Silent Storm

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 55
Help us OG Anunoby, you're our only hope...
You are no longer black, or brown, or yellow, or red! You are now GREEN, you are light GREEN, or dark GREEN!

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 12:06:50 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I'd be surprised if he came out this year.  But he's the real deal -- been watching him a lot this season.  Definitely someone to target in next year's draft.  If he comes out, I'd pick him with even the Dallas pick.  The Kawhi comparison is apt -- he just makes plays.

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 12:13:40 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Help us OG Anunoby, you're our only hope...
TP -- beat me to it

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 12:28:48 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I see Ingram as potentially being a Kawhi type player.

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 12:34:49 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I just read that Ben Bentil (of all people) is the next Kawhi Leonard.

I guess "the next Kawhi Leonard" has just become a euphemism for a guy you expect to vastly outperform his draft position.

So, in regards to the above post, Brandon Ingram doesn't qualify for the "next Kawhi Leonard" category.  He's going to be picked too high.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 01:31:41 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
Never really looked into this guy till reading this.  I'd be interested in him if we take him with the 1st pick in the second round if he's still around.  Very raw talent but I think with Stevens as a couch could very well bring out the best in him. 

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, 02:15:51 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I found a bleacher report article from a year ago showing him do a 180 between the legs dunk.  He's so long and athletic, that a lot of the comments on the article doubted that it was a 10 ft hoop.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2453969-indiana-signee-ogugua-anunoby-performs-amazing-180-degree-through-the-legs-dunk