Author Topic: I can see the Celtics drafting Domantas Sabonis  (Read 70228 times)

Re: I can see the Celtics drafting Domantas Sabonis
« Reply #225 on: May 03, 2016, 09:29:22 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If Amir Johnson can look good on his role with the C's, I don't see any problem on putting Sabonis as a center.

The big difference is that Amir Johnson has a 7'1" wingspan, and even in his current state (with the foot problems, etc) he has a pretty good leaping ability.

His length combined with his vertical allows him to really bother shots in ways you wouldn't expect of a 6'9" guy.  That wingspan allows him to get shots off against average NBA length quite well, and he only really struggles when he is up against guys with crazy length (e.g. the Aldridge's and Cousins' of the world).

My concern with Sabonis is that (like Olynyk) his wingspan is only 1" longer than Marcus Smart's, and only 2" longer then Terry Rozier's, and is actually a little shorter then Jae Crowder's.

If you look at Kelly Olynyk, he has the exact same wingspan as Sabonis and has similarly limited jumping ability - and you can see how much his post game faded when he moved from college to the NBA. At the college level Olynyk was an outstanding post player, because he was able to rely on his size to score over your average college bigs.  Once he came to the NBA his length became a limitation, and his post came all but vanished. Luckily he has excellent ball handling skills and a very good outside jumper, and those skills have helped him get by despite the loss of his post advantage.

Sabonis also relies a lot on that "physical advantage" for his offence, and so I expect his posts game will also fade a lot in it's effectiveness at the NBA level.  Unlike Olynyk though, Sabonis doesn't really have a lot of other offensive talents he can fall back on - he can't really depend on his handle or his jumper, as neither is anything special.  That means if you take away Sabonis' inside game, you pretty much take him out of the game completely.

Maybe in time he could develop a nice jumper and that would help, but I still don't see him becoming much (if any) better then Kelly Olynyk, and you want more than that from a high lottery pick.  From a late lottery pick, it's fine.

Sorry but how are you comparison smarts wingspan to Sabonis?  You know Sabonis is 6'10, 6'11 right?

Wingspan and leaping ability mean something when you know how to use it.   Look at Blake Griffin.  6'8, short wingspan but explosive and strong.

But he is not grabbing rebounds most of the time by flying around everywhere. He is boxing out consistently (utilizing his strength), able to snatch the ball in traffic (has strong hands) and has natural instincts to follow the ball off the rim/backboard

Maybe I'm bias towards Sabonis but the kid is a winner. Not everyday do you see a 19 year old front court player carry his no name team into the sweet 16 round.   And his stats were rock solid last season

« Reply #226 on: May 03, 2016, 09:38:12 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Some players have 'it'

And usually this means , ability to come through in stressful situations.   Known as winners.  Doing whatever it takes to win

You can have the most talented , longest wingspan, most explosive player but falters when things become stressful or can't handle the pressure.  I don't want the Celtics to draft or bring in players like this.   We need to keep adding leaders/winners on our squad. Thats all I care about

« Reply #227 on: May 03, 2016, 09:43:22 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
If Amir Johnson can look good on his role with the C's, I don't see any problem on putting Sabonis as a center.

The big difference is that Amir Johnson has a 7'1" wingspan, and even in his current state (with the foot problems, etc) he has a pretty good leaping ability.

His length combined with his vertical allows him to really bother shots in ways you wouldn't expect of a 6'9" guy.  That wingspan allows him to get shots off against average NBA length quite well, and he only really struggles when he is up against guys with crazy length (e.g. the Aldridge's and Cousins' of the world).

My concern with Sabonis is that (like Olynyk) his wingspan is only 1" longer than Marcus Smart's, and only 2" longer then Terry Rozier's, and is actually a little shorter then Jae Crowder's.

If you look at Kelly Olynyk, he has the exact same wingspan as Sabonis and has similarly limited jumping ability - and you can see how much his post game faded when he moved from college to the NBA. At the college level Olynyk was an outstanding post player, because he was able to rely on his size to score over your average college bigs.  Once he came to the NBA his length became a limitation, and his post came all but vanished. Luckily he has excellent ball handling skills and a very good outside jumper, and those skills have helped him get by despite the loss of his post advantage.

Sabonis also relies a lot on that "physical advantage" for his offence, and so I expect his posts game will also fade a lot in it's effectiveness at the NBA level.  Unlike Olynyk though, Sabonis doesn't really have a lot of other offensive talents he can fall back on - he can't really depend on his handle or his jumper, as neither is anything special.  That means if you take away Sabonis' inside game, you pretty much take him out of the game completely.

Maybe in time he could develop a nice jumper and that would help, but I still don't see him becoming much (if any) better then Kelly Olynyk, and you want more than that from a high lottery pick.  From a late lottery pick, it's fine.

Sorry but how are you comparison smarts wingspan to Sabonis?  You know Sabonis is 6'10, 6'11 right?

Wingspan and leaping ability mean something when you know how to use it.   Look at Blake Griffin.  6'8, short wingspan but explosive and strong.

But he is not grabbing rebounds most of the time by flying around everywhere. He is boxing out consistently (utilizing his strength), able to snatch the ball in traffic (has strong hands) and has natural instincts to follow the ball off the rim/backboard

Maybe I'm bias towards Sabonis but the kid is a winner. Not everyday do you see a 19 year old front court player carry his no name team into the sweet 16 round.   And his stats were rock solid last season

I don't really know why you quoted sabonis' shoe height with griffins shoeless height. While griffin is known as having short arms, his listed (predraft) height is identical to sabonis, and his wingspan is .25" longer than sabonis.

I'm not saying he won't be able to rebound at the next level, as so much of that ability is boxing out and intangibles. However don't cherry pick blake griffins measurables to make sabonis look bigger than him, when in reality they are basically identical (well griffin is slightly larger.) However, griffin has a much better vertical which is why he has been slightly able to overcome his bad wingspan for a big.
#JKJB

« Reply #228 on: May 03, 2016, 10:13:46 AM »

Offline Smart457

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23

I don't really know why you quoted sabonis' shoe height with griffins shoeless height. While griffin is known as having short arms, his listed (predraft) height is identical to sabonis, and his wingspan is .25" longer than sabonis.

I'm not saying he won't be able to rebound at the next level, as so much of that ability is boxing out and intangibles. However don't cherry pick blake griffins measurables to make sabonis look bigger than him, when in reality they are basically identical (well griffin is slightly larger.) However, griffin has a much better vertical which is why he has been slightly able to overcome his bad wingspan for a big.
It's Griffin's lack of length that makes me dislike him as a forward. To me if you are going to lack length, you need to have an outside shot and his is shaky.

I think using Griffin as a comparison is faulty.

« Reply #229 on: May 03, 2016, 10:47:32 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Rebounding isn't dependent on length, verticle jump, or height. Rebounding is about will, strength, quick jumping, positioning, and reading shots.  Some players just seem to stick to the guy blocking them out.  Others just squirm around and find position.  Rarely are rebounds (not tip ins) made above the rim.  So how high you jump doesn't matter. It is how quickly you jump or reach for the ball.  Many of the best rebounders were not the tallest or most athletic players.  Barkley, Rodman, and Wallace were never the tallest, longest, or most athletic players.

« Reply #230 on: May 03, 2016, 10:54:54 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Rebounding isn't dependent on length, verticle jump, or height. Rebounding is about will, strength, quick jumping, positioning, and reading shots.  Some players just seem to stick to the guy blocking them out.  Others just squirm around and find position.  Rarely are rebounds (not tip ins) made above the rim.  So how high you jump doesn't matter. It is how quickly you jump or reach for the ball.  Many of the best rebounders were not the tallest or most athletic players.  Barkley, Rodman, and Wallace were never the tallest, longest, or most athletic players.
I would change your statement to rebounding isn't always about length, vertical jump or height. 5 of the top 6 rebounders were centers with plus length and 3 of those guys have a plus vertical.

A guy like Sabonis can absolutely be a very good rebounder, but I think he's going to have trouble keeping guy like DeAndre, Whiteside and Drummond off the glass in the league. That's ok, he can still be a top 10-20 rebounder in the league without elite length but he's not going to rebound better than the elite centers.

Since we would be drafting him at 16 anyone who expects him to outrebound the guys with elite length and jumping ability are being too optimistic. If we drafted him, all I would want is him to replace Sullinger's rebounding production and I think he can do that.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #231 on: May 03, 2016, 11:01:45 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I would change your statement to rebounding isn't always about length, vertical jump or height. 5 of the top 6 rebounders were centers with plus length and 3 of those guys have a plus vertical.

A guy like Sabonis can absolutely be a very good rebounder, but I think he's going to have trouble keeping guy like DeAndre, Whiteside and Drummond off the glass in the league. That's ok, he can still be a top 10-20 rebounder in the league without elite length but he's not going to rebound better than the elite centers.

Since we would be drafting him at 16 anyone who expects him to outrebound the guys with elite length and jumping ability are being too optimistic. If we drafted him, all I would want is him to replace Sullinger's rebounding production and I think he can do that.

I agree with you for "tough" rebounds.  But for regular rebounds, Sabonis will be just as good as Draymond green imo(who doesn't give up many offensive rebounds)

It's able to keep Tristant thompsons of the world from grabbing ordinary Joe defensive rebounds, that makes one a solid rebounder in my books

Something Sullinger /KO/bass./Zeller couldn't do

« Reply #232 on: May 03, 2016, 11:04:08 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
BTW Sabonis is not going to be there at 16.  I don't know how ppl think he will last until 16

A guy with his resume, pedigree, 6'10-6'11 size. And he is no Cody Zeller in comparison

Teams are now smarter not to miss out on Draymond Green type of players

« Reply #233 on: May 03, 2016, 11:39:20 AM »

• Jim Loscutoff
BTW Sabonis is not going to be there at 16.  I don't know how ppl think he will last until 16

A guy with his resume, pedigree, 6'10-6'11 size. And he is no Cody Zeller in comparison

Because most of us would view this as an utter disaster if after this season we got sabonis with the nets pick. His major strengths in college aka post scoring, won't be as easy in the nba given his inferior length. He is very strong which is a good sign, but part of his weakness is that he relies so heavily on his strength. (Accompanying weakness video from the strength video you posted.)

Also he does absolutely nothing to solve the interior defense problem we have (1.1 blocks per 40 is horrible, along with inefficient shot contesting at the rim) and his perimeter defense is suspect as well.

While he can move his feet quickly for his size, part of his listed weaknesses (again part of the video series you linked) is his inability to defend and contain the perimeter on switches adequetely.  Also he is another prospect whose shot "should develop" but he shoots it very flat. Can he develop it? Sure, just like marcus could have out of college.

So yea, would love sabonis at 16, not at worst case 6.
#JKJB

« Reply #234 on: May 03, 2016, 11:51:45 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

It's wrong to compare Sabonis and Kelly O.  Two totally different players in both style and athleticism.  One of Sabonis' best attributes is that he's a quick leaper.  Kelly doesn't do anything quickly.  A lot of the rebounds Sabonis snagged in college he got on the second jump.  He may be nothing more than the next Enes Kanter, but I don't think you have to question his ability to board at the next level. 

« Reply #235 on: May 03, 2016, 12:12:33 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210

I agree with you for "tough" rebounds.  But for regular rebounds, Sabonis will be just as good as Draymond green imo(who doesn't give up many offensive rebounds)

It's able to keep Tristant thompsons of the world from grabbing ordinary Joe defensive rebounds, that makes one a solid rebounder in my books

Something Sullinger /KO/bass./Zeller couldn't do

The perfect example would be Kevin Love.  He has always been known as a great rebounder although his numbers have been hurt by being moved out to the three point line on offense.  He physically seems to have a lot in common with Sabonis.  Sabonis has a tenaciousness about him that I don't think Love has though although obviously he lacks Love's basketball skill.

« Reply #236 on: May 03, 2016, 12:18:56 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Because most of us would view this as an utter disaster if after this season we got sabonis with the nets pick. His major strengths in college aka post scoring, won't be as easy in the nba given his inferior length. He is very strong which is a good sign, but part of his weakness is that he relies so heavily on his strength. (Accompanying weakness video from the strength video you posted.)

Also he does absolutely nothing to solve the interior defense problem we have (1.1 blocks per 40 is horrible, along with inefficient shot contesting at the rim) and his perimeter defense is suspect as well.

While he can move his feet quickly for his size, part of his listed weaknesses (again part of the video series you linked) is his inability to defend and contain the perimeter on switches adequetely.  Also he is another prospect whose shot "should develop" but he shoots it very flat. Can he develop it? Sure, just like marcus could have out of college.

From your post you state

1st. we need rim protection. Would you rather grab bender? Who also is not know to be a shot blocker.  Ellenson? Who I like but is an inferior overall defender in comparison .   Zimmerman who I like again. But is not ready for the next 2-3 years , if even he will arrive then.    So who is this super rim protecting /ready to contribute sooner than prospect you are talking about??

Why not also think outside the box and pair Sabonis (who is good in many areas but not blocking shots)  with a good player that can block shots ?   

Also bc he blk per 40 min 1.1 blk per game , that makes him a horrible defender?  Have you actually seen him play in games. The tourney?  Seen him do a fine job defending okafor?  He is anything but a poor defender. And yes can defend out to the perimeter.  Alot of things about Sabonis is "fast twitch".   But decisive " fast twitch".   This is what helps him overcome not being ideally explosive

I'm OK with taking him with the Nets pick. Bc one needs to realize , there is not clear cut number 3-5 in this draft.    I'm OK with taking him at 3-5 , I'm OK with with taking Murray or Brown here also if Danny thinks this is best. But we may have to trade up to 8-12 area to grab Sabonis (if even he will still be available at this range)

« Reply #237 on: May 03, 2016, 12:29:29 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff

From your post you state

1st. we need rim protection. Would you rather grab bender? Who also is not know to be a shot blocker.  Ellenson? Who I like but is an inferior overall defender in comparison .   Zimmerman who I like again. But is not ready for the next 2-3 years , if even he will arrive then.    So who is this super rim protecting /ready to contribute sooner than prospect you are talking about??

Why not also think outside the box and pair Sabonis (who is good in many areas but not blocking shots)  with a good player that can block shots ?   

Also bc he blk per 40 min 1.1 blk per game , that makes him a horrible defender?  Have you actually seen him play in games. The tourney?  Seen him do a fine job defending okafor?  He is anything but a poor defender. And yes can defend out to the perimeter.  Alot of things about Sabonis is "fast twitch".   But decisive " fast twitch".   This is what helps him overcome not being ideally explosive

I'm OK with taking him with the Nets pick. Bc one needs to realize , there is not clear cut number 3-5 in this draft.    I'm OK with taking him at 3-5 , I'm OK with with taking Murray or Brown here also if Danny thinks this is best. But we may have to trade up to 8-12 area to grab Sabonis (if even he will still be available at this range)

Yes I have seen him play in alot of games. All im saying is that in my opinion, his abilities on defense will not be able to translate to the next level. This view was reinforced when I watched the draft express video series of strengths you posted (I admit I actually clicked on the weaknesses video also to get a better picture), which agree with my points. Also you are just restating thinigs I said like his good foot speed and strength, but somehow using that as a counter to me?

And no I don't think there are any legit rim protection options at the top of this draft. My main point was that he most likely won't be able to replicate what he did in college in the nba against much better length. I'm not large on bender either. Just because someone doesn't want sabonis doesn't mean they are pro bender.

I would be very uncomfortable with picking sabonis with the nets pick. I would rather trade the pick for okafor then take sabonis (saying alot.) I'm not saying sabonis will be a bust or anything, I just see him as a player with faults. Faults that dont exactly mesh with the modern nba. Will he get better at defending on the perimeter? Maybe, he has the quick foot speed and good decision making for it. Yet he struggled in college at it which is an entire step or two against what he will face at the next level.
#JKJB

« Reply #238 on: May 03, 2016, 12:31:21 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff
I'd also be okay with trading up to 8-12 if it didn't cost a kings ransom. I'm predicting sabonis goes 10th or 11th in this draft.
#JKJB

« Reply #239 on: May 03, 2016, 12:48:20 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Sabonis at 3-5 is Danny telling Wyc to fire him.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about