Author Topic: I can see the Celtics drafting Domantas Sabonis  (Read 70631 times)

Re: I can see the Celtics drafting Domantas Sabonis
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2016, 07:59:23 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Where are you getting his measurements from, I'm concerned about his true height. He's certainly not 6'11"

The only height I see listed is in 2015 Nike skills competition where he's measures at 6'10" shoes on.

That means a legit 6'9"

Is he going to be playing without shoes on?

This is the worst argument of all time. When you went to the doctors did they measure you with your shoes on? No. Of course not. The shoes can add 1" to 2.5" so it's just plain stupid that they even include it.

I love Sabonis regardless of his height, the fact is if he measures at 6'8" and 3\4" shoes off his stock will drop and we could draft him with the Celtics pick.

If he measures 6'10" shoes off he might not be there with the Mavericks pick.

This is actually a legit argument. These kids aren't at the doctors, they are on the court where you wear SHOES. What's the point of measuring them without shoes? Everytime you see a player listed it's by there with shoes height. The average center in the NBA is going to be between 6'10 and 7' with shoes ON. If you are upset about his height, please get upset about every other player not named Porzingis who's a big. Give up your weak bias!

KG is 100% right.
He could be 6 '7.5" for all we know.
Poeltl looked much taller than him during their game.
Sabonis is an excellent player but his size is a question mark particularly vs nba athletes. It's easy for an undersized but brutally strong big guy to get rebounds vs skinny college kids, bbut grown NBA players is a different story.
Just think of Thomas Robinson and his motor /strength/rebounding in college compared to the NBA, Tyler Hansbrough etc...

Anyway, Sabonis definitely looks like a solid first round pick, but until we see his measured size at the nba combine then there will be legitimate question marks when he doesn't have a reliable outside shot.

TP Chambers for grabbing my back. I'm gonna start telling people I'm two inches taller than I am because I'm usually wearing shoes lol.

Whats so hard to understand?

I don't get how this is so over your head (probably cause you're in socks). If everyone in the NBA is listed as their with shoes height, then you need to take away 1-1.5 inches from everyone. Zeller and Olynyk would be 6'10.5, Sullinger would be 6'7, and so on and so on. That's why it doesn't matter. If he's 6'10 with shoes on, he is as big as the other guys who are 6'10-7' with shoes on. I'd be more worried about his wing span, 3-pt shot, and lateral quickness before I'd get all huffy about what draftexpress lists his height as. If you don't like the player, say that. But don't make up some imaginary argument about him being undersized.

Quoting Gump. " Are you stupid or something ?"

If you had actually payed attention you would know he's one of my favorite players in this draft.

Name me one other sport that measures people with shoes on. You can't.  Zdeno Chara is a 7 footer with skates on, but he's really 6'9" and that's what hockey lists him at.

Do baseball players measure height with their spikes on? No.

Do football players measure there height with cleats on. No.

Just drop it. It's a ridiculous argument.

The problem is that you're calling him short because of his height without shoes, comparing it to the height of players with shoes.  Great, he's actually 6'8", no one's disputing that, just the fact that 6'8" without shoes is an average height for an NBA big (just as 6'1" is normal for a PG without shoes, 6'3" for a SG without shoes, 6'6" for a SF without shoes, 6'8" for a PF without shoes, and 6'10"for a C without shoes)

Comparing the shoeless height of a player to the average height of (shoe wearing) players at each position is comparing apples to oranges.  Go ahead and call him 6'8", just don't call him undersized for it
I'm bitter.

« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2016, 08:06:05 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

Appropriate reaction...

« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2016, 09:52:03 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Where are you getting his measurements from, I'm concerned about his true height. He's certainly not 6'11"

The only height I see listed is in 2015 Nike skills competition where he's measures at 6'10" shoes on.

That means a legit 6'9"

This is the worst argument of all time. When you went to the doctors did they measure you with your shoes on? No. Of course not. The shoes can add 1" to 2.5" so it's just plain stupid that they even include it.

I love Sabonis regardless of his height, the fact is if he measures at 6'8" and 3\4" shoes off his stock will drop and we could draft him with the Celtics pick.

This is actually a legit argument. These kids aren't at the doctors, they are on the court where you wear SHOES. What's the point of measuring them without shoes? Everytime you see a player listed it's by there with shoes height. The average center in the NBA is going to be between 6'10 and 7' with shoes ON. If you are upset about his height, please get upset about every other player not named Porzingis who's a big. Give up your weak bias!

KG is 100% right.
Sabonis is an excellent player but his size is a question mark particularly vs nba athletes. It's easy for an undersized but brutally strong big guy to get rebounds vs skinny college kids, bbut grown NBA players is a different story.
Just think of Thomas Robinson and his motor /strength/rebounding in college compared to the NBA, Tyler Hansbrough etc...

Anyway, Sabonis definitely looks like a solid first round pick, but until we see his measured size at the nba combine then there will be legitimate question marks when he doesn't have a reliable outside shot.

TP Chambers for grabbing my back. I'm gonna start telling people I'm two inches taller than I am because I'm usually wearing shoes lol.

I don't get how this is so over your head (probably cause you're in socks). If everyone in the NBA is listed as their with shoes height, then you need to take away 1-1.5 inches from everyone. Zeller and Olynyk would be 6'10.5, Sullinger would be 6'7, and so on and so on. That's why it doesn't matter. If he's 6'10 with shoes on, he is as big as the other guys who are 6'10-7' with shoes on. I'd be more worried about his wing span, 3-pt shot, and lateral quickness before I'd get all huffy about what draftexpress lists his height as. If you don't like the player, say that. But don't make up some imaginary argument about him being undersized.

If you had actually payed attention you would know he's one of my favorite players in this draft.

Name me one other sport that measures people with shoes on. You can't.  Zdeno Chara is a 7 footer with skates on, but he's really 6'9" and that's what hockey lists him at.

The problem is that you're calling him short because of his height without shoes, comparing it to the height of players with shoes.  Great, he's actually 6'8", no one's disputing that, just the fact that 6'8" without shoes is an average height for an NBA big (just as 6'1" is normal for a PG without shoes, 6'3" for a SG without shoes, 6'6" for a SF without shoes, 6'8" for a PF without shoes, and 6'10"for a C without shoes)

Comparing the shoeless height of a player to the average height of (shoe wearing) players at each position is comparing apples to oranges.  Go ahead and call him 6'8", just don't call him undersized for it

Well I'm hoping he is not 6'8 without shoes. With his below avg wingspan and not a high flyer he could have issues against NBA caliber talent even though he is a strong kid

I know still he can be like a Charles Oakley and still get the job done but it will be battle game in and game out. Could get worn out

On the other hand other teams prob see the same as most of us and if he is 6'10 without shoes, that should help his draft stock

If I was Sabonis agent, as long as I know he is 6'9.5 or 6'10 without shoes , that is the only measurement I show teams and have him sit the rest of the way until individual workouts

« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2016, 02:00:19 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126

That means a legit 6'9"

KG is 100% right.

Thank you BitterJim for explaining this in a (hopefully) easier way to comprehend. This "apples to oranges" argument is easily my biggest pet peeve on this blog.

« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2016, 11:05:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Nice d by Sabonis

« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2016, 11:20:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Any doubts Sabonis can guard out to the perimeter?

Very good game by the sophomore. Need to get the ball to him down low

« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2016, 11:24:58 PM »

Offline tomrod

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 26
Danny please get Sabonis, he's unstoppable

« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2016, 11:37:21 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
Can the C's replace Zeller with Sabonis right now?!

« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2016, 11:49:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Not Sabonis fault.  Gonzaga couldn't beat the pressure

« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2016, 12:17:52 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!

Not Sabonis fault.  Gonzaga couldn't beat the pressure

That was praise for Sabonis. He was the biggest reason Gonzaga made it as far they did.

« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2016, 12:27:26 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
It's easy to see ainge liking hi.
But it's tough to say whether ainge drafts him
As he is clearly rising to lottery

Draftexpress has him as 12
And as currently slated our mavs picks would be out of range for him and 4th pick too high to take him

« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2016, 12:59:11 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

That means a legit 6'9"

KG is 100% right.

I think everyone understands this.
The issue is that his height listing is questionable until he is oficially measured at the draft combine.
Gonzaga or whoever measured him last say he's 6'10" in shoes and that's all we have to go by for now-so until he's measured by an NBA official this is a question mark because if he's really 6'7" or 6'8" or 6'9" in shoes then he's going to probably go later than top 12 in the draft.

To summarize: height in shoes from a college or anywhere an agent van be involved in the process is not trustworthy.
Not svery 'in shoes ' measurement adds 2 inches. Some add more, some add less.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2016, 01:14:10 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
The announcers kept mentioning he is 6'11

Should mean 6'9.5 without shoes.

« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2016, 01:58:11 AM »

Offline tomrod

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 26
He honestly looks like he grew. Listed at 6'10 with shoes but maybe 6'11 now, looks bigger anyway

« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2016, 01:39:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
He honestly looks like he grew. Listed at 6'10 with shoes but maybe 6'11 now, looks bigger anyway

Kid is really good.  Wish they ran some more plays for him around the perimeter. Have him shoot the three a few times etc.  But Mark Few was being real cautious as to how to approach this game.  And they lost in the end bc they didn't understand how to break the pressure.  They should of had two guys close to together going for the ball and one guy using the other player as a screen and running off for a clear path

oh well.  nothing more Sabonis could do last night.  He was the player of the game. Proved that he can beat length also (vs Poeltl) the other game.   Lotto pick. I hope Danny can grab him. Suitable replacement for Sully and/or Zeller