Author Topic: I can see the Celtics drafting Domantas Sabonis  (Read 70665 times)

Re: I can see the Celtics drafting Domantas Sabonis
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2016, 07:38:08 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I disagree sully has a weak motor. He does not.  He is just sluggish out there at times and does not have the top level conditioning you require. But he tries, especially when you watch him get the rebounds (for his size).   Guys with poor motor rely on their natural athletic abilities, don't run back consistently, take plays off, just kind look like they don't care. Not the way with Sully

I disagree, guys with bad motors don't move all the time.   Motors = motion.  BTW, he has taken plenty of plays off in the past and even this year.   But  I think Sully has improved in this regard but his talent is finite in this regard and hampered but his being overweight and out of shape.

I too, like Sabonis, as a pick later on, he may climb up the boards.  Syracuse will be a big test of his toughness.   They have outrebounded the other teams they have played.

« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2016, 08:36:04 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126

Where are you getting his measurements from, I'm concerned about his true height. He's certainly not 6'11"

The only height I see listed is in 2015 Nike skills competition where he's measures at 6'10" shoes on.

That means a legit 6'9"

Is he going to be playing without shoes on?

This is the worst argument of all time. When you went to the doctors did they measure you with your shoes on? No. Of course not. The shoes can add 1" to 2.5" so it's just plain stupid that they even include it.

I love Sabonis regardless of his height, the fact is if he measures at 6'8" and 3\4" shoes off his stock will drop and we could draft him with the Celtics pick.

If he measures 6'10" shoes off he might not be there with the Mavericks pick.

This is actually a legit argument. These kids aren't at the doctors, they are on the court where you wear SHOES. What's the point of measuring them without shoes? Everytime you see a player listed it's by there with shoes height. The average center in the NBA is going to be between 6'10 and 7' with shoes ON. If you are upset about his height, please get upset about every other player not named Porzingis who's a big. Give up your weak bias!

« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2016, 08:55:17 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
If he is big ,  mean , and can play defensive we need to draft him.

What if he's pretty big, mean, and can't play defense?

Another Zeller ....minus the mean

« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2016, 09:13:18 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Where are you getting his measurements from, I'm concerned about his true height. He's certainly not 6'11"

The only height I see listed is in 2015 Nike skills competition where he's measures at 6'10" shoes on.

That means a legit 6'9"

This is the worst argument of all time. When you went to the doctors did they measure you with your shoes on? No. Of course not. The shoes can add 1" to 2.5" so it's just plain stupid that they even include it.

I love Sabonis regardless of his height, the fact is if he measures at 6'8" and 3\4" shoes off his stock will drop and we could draft him with the Celtics pick.

This is actually a legit argument. These kids aren't at the doctors, they are on the court where you wear SHOES. What's the point of measuring them without shoes? Everytime you see a player listed it's by there with shoes height. The average center in the NBA is going to be between 6'10 and 7' with shoes ON. If you are upset about his height, please get upset about every other player not named Porzingis who's a big. Give up your weak bias!

KG is 100% right.
He could be 6 '7.5" for all we know.
Poeltl looked much taller than him during their game.
Sabonis is an excellent player but his size is a question mark particularly vs nba athletes. It's easy for an undersized but brutally strong big guy to get rebounds vs skinny college kids, bbut grown NBA players is a different story.
Just think of Thomas Robinson and his motor /strength/rebounding in college compared to the NBA, Tyler Hansbrough etc...

Anyway, Sabonis definitely looks like a solid first round pick, but until we see his measured size at the nba combine then there will be legitimate question marks when he doesn't have a reliable outside shot.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2016, 09:54:08 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

That means a legit 6'9"

KG is 100% right.
Sabonis is an excellent player but his size is a question mark particularly vs nba athletes. It's easy for an undersized but brutally strong big guy to get rebounds vs skinny college kids, bbut grown NBA players is a different story.
Just think of Thomas Robinson and his motor /strength/rebounding in college compared to the NBA, Tyler Hansbrough etc...

Anyway, Sabonis definitely looks like a solid first round pick, but until we see his measured size at the nba combine then there will be legitimate question marks when he doesn't have a reliable outside shot.

he is not 6'7.5 without shoes

ESPN has him listed at 6'11.    I bet 6'9.5 without shoes. Would be nice if he was 6'10 without it and I would be surprised if below 6'9

« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2016, 09:56:16 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
I think this weekend should clear up ANY doubts either way baout Sabonis.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2016, 10:01:23 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

That means a legit 6'9"

KG is 100% right.

TP Chambers for grabbing my back. I'm gonna start telling people I'm two inches taller than I am because I'm usually wearing shoes lol.

Whats so hard to understand? 

« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2016, 10:09:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
KGLL the point the other poster is making even if you are 6'9 without shoes, with shoes you are 6'11 (if you use  interesting shoes)

If a 6'10 guy uses some thin soles and is the same height as you then what??

unless height without shoes is easier to determine, reach and you can't cheat that

Bc the NBA might have a standard as to the type of soles you use or might in the future.  Or its risky to use thicker/taller soles, I myself find without shoes measurements something to keep an eye on

« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2016, 10:10:22 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
another thing to remember is David Lee is 6'7.5 or something like that without shoes.  Also Sullinger 6'7 without shoes.    Sabonis for sure is taller than either of these guys.  i would say easily 1.5 inches taller

« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2016, 10:15:47 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
A. Sabonis is 7'3 . 

« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2016, 10:18:28 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Kevin Love is 6'7.75" tall. Barkley was 6'5'.5" tall. Height is overrated sometimes, but If Sabonis is to play Center, he needs the height and Standing reach to be adequate.

I agree with you Triboy about his defense and lateral quickness. Very impressive for a big guy. He's very good switching and guarding the pick and roll. Two huge pluses.

« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2016, 10:21:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Sabonis vs Utah highlights.   taking it to Poeltl.  Those spins/up and unders are beauties. He pins you , uses his elbows so you are in a position unable to block his shot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfUc0GpcGEk

« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2016, 10:35:49 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126

That means a legit 6'9"

KG is 100% right.

TP Chambers for grabbing my back. I'm gonna start telling people I'm two inches taller than I am because I'm usually wearing shoes lol.

I don't get how this is so over your head (probably cause you're in socks). If everyone in the NBA is listed as their with shoes height, then you need to take away 1-1.5 inches from everyone. Zeller and Olynyk would be 6'10.5, Sullinger would be 6'7, and so on and so on. That's why it doesn't matter. If he's 6'10 with shoes on, he is as big as the other guys who are 6'10-7' with shoes on. I'd be more worried about his wing span, 3-pt shot, and lateral quickness before I'd get all huffy about what draftexpress lists his height as. If you don't like the player, say that. But don't make up some imaginary argument about him being undersized.

« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2016, 12:03:45 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

That means a legit 6'9"

KG is 100% right.

I don't get how this is so over your head (probably cause you're in socks). If everyone in the NBA is listed as their with shoes height, then you need to take away 1-1.5 inches from everyone. Zeller and Olynyk would be 6'10.5, Sullinger would be 6'7, and so on and so on. That's why it doesn't matter. If he's 6'10 with shoes on, he is as big as the other guys who are 6'10-7' with shoes on. I'd be more worried about his wing span, 3-pt shot, and lateral quickness before I'd get all huffy about what draftexpress lists his height as. If you don't like the player, say that. But don't make up some imaginary argument about him being undersized.

Quoting Gump. " Are you stupid or something ?"

If you had actually payed attention you would know he's one of my favorite players in this draft.

Name me one other sport that measures people with shoes on. You can't.  Zdeno Chara is a 7 footer with skates on, but he's really 6'9" and that's what hockey lists him at.

Do baseball players measure height with their spikes on? No.

Do football players measure there height with cleats on. No.

Just drop it. It's a ridiculous argument.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 12:11:20 AM by KG Living Legend »

« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2016, 07:45:54 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I think this weekend should clear up ANY doubts either way baout Sabonis.

Yeah big game for Sabonis vs Syracuse