Author Topic: I can see the Celtics drafting Domantas Sabonis  (Read 70583 times)

Re: I can see the Celtics drafting Domantas Sabonis
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2016, 04:30:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I think we need to factor in the other good things and not stress on the negatives or perceived negatives

For example he took Poeltl to school, frustrated him. overpowered and outwit him . And Poeltl is considered a higher level prospect.

He is taller by an inch or inch and half, longer wingspan, can jump higher etc. But in the end of the day it didn't matter

It';s like Crowder who is 6'5 without shoes and 6'6 with shoes.  Not the most ideal height for a SF.  6'9 wingspan . Again not great not bad.   Not really explosive quick.  Very general skill level

BUT he makes it work. And he has the strength and spirit of a bull.  Motor is always at a high level. I mean has anyone even seen him get winded before? 

I see Sabonis the same way but PF/C version.   As long as he can do one thing well (rebound at the NBA level) I worry little about the rest.

I agree with this analogy to Crowder. Was thinking the same thing recently.  Sometimes you just have to go with the guy who gets the job done, screw with how they "measure" or "project."  James Young and Perry Jones would be All Stars by now based on "measurements".   

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2016, 05:01:22 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
  In today's NBA if you are building your front court around rebounding and post play you are flat doing it wrong!  For Sabonis to have any chance in the league he must develop 3 point range.  How high he is drafted is going to completely depend on his workouts and the combine.  The dude is undeniably a warrior though.

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2016, 05:17:16 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Where are you getting his measurements from, I'm concerned about his true height. He's certainly not 6'11"

The only height I see listed is in 2015 Nike skills competition where he's measures at 6'10" shoes on.

That means a legit 6'9"

Is he going to be playing without shoes on?

This is the worst argument of all time. When you went to the doctors did they measure you with your shoes on? No. Of course not. The shoes can add 1" to 2.5" so it's just plain stupid that they even include it.

I love Sabonis regardless of his height, the fact is if he measures at 6'8" and 3\4" shoes off his stock will drop and we could draft him with the Celtics pick.

If he measures 6'10" shoes off he might not be there with the Mavericks pick.

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2016, 05:20:05 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
  In today's NBA if you are building your front court around rebounding and post play you are flat doing it wrong!  For Sabonis to have any chance in the league he must develop 3 point range.  How high he is drafted is going to completely depend on his workouts and the combine.  The dude is undeniably a warrior though.

Oracle that's the thing though, I would bet my bottom dollar he becomes a much better shooter than Smart. How about 77% from the free throw line this year, and awesome shooting form. I say at the least he becomes a knock down 17 foot shooting range guy.

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2016, 05:46:15 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton

Oracle that's the thing though, I would bet my bottom dollar he becomes a much better shooter than Smart. How about 77% from the free throw line this year, and awesome shooting form. I say at the least he becomes a knock down 17 foot shooting range guy.
Being good at shooting the shots that NO team wants to shoot holds zero value.  Every possession that ends in a mid range shot is a failed offensive possession no matter how good you shoot them.  You just can't be good enough at shooting them to warrant wanting said player on the floor over someone who can space the floor much better like K.O..  If he can extend his range to the NBA 3 pt. line then he vaults into an entirely different category.

« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2016, 05:48:54 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Being good at shooting the shots that NO team wants to shoot holds zero value.  Every possession that ends in a mid range shot is a failed offensive possession no matter how good you shoot them.  You just can't be good enough at shooting them to warrant wanting said player on the floor over someone who can space the floor much better like K.O..  If he can extend his range to the NBA 3 pt. line then he vaults into an entirely different category.
The midrange jumper is not useless. I strongly disagree on that point.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2016, 05:51:50 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
If he is big ,  mean , and can play defensive we need to draft him.

« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2016, 06:19:19 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

What if he's pretty big, mean, and can't play defense?

« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2016, 06:30:55 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton

He is sort of a tweener defensively.  He doesn't project to be above average defensively at either PF or center.  His length, jumping ability, foot speed etc. are all average or worse. 

« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2016, 06:34:38 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

He is sort of a tweener defensively.  He doesn't project to be above average defensively at either PF or center.  His length, jumping ability, foot speed etc. are all average or worse.

Right. I was just being facetious because he was describing a type player that isn't Sabonis. I think he'll have HUGE trouble vs small ball 4's because his lateral quickness isn't great. He'll do much better against traditional 4's where he can use his strength and tenacity to overcomes for some of his athletic  and build shortcomings.

« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2016, 06:51:15 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

disagree.  Have you seen him actually play in games. You seen the draftexpress scouting video. His perimeter defense is good.  As good as KO I imagine. Better than Sully

and both Sully and KO (especially) have been able to hold their own and not get burned in the NBA.  I project Sabonis overall defense to be somewhere between KO and Sullinger D(mobility/strength/IQ/motor/team D/Rebounding/sprawling on the ground for loose balls)

On a side note look at Cauley Stein.  Top lateral quickness. Quicker than some guards. Explosive. But he hasn't shown he can play.  Lacks strength.  So you can have the quickest guy, most explosive,  best 3 pt shooter, if they can't put it all together and make it work, it's pointless in the end

Sabonis has maximized with the tools he has to work with.   

During the combine I'm just hoping he is 6'10 without shoes. Min 6'9.    Don't really care about anything else.   
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 07:03:30 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2016, 06:57:07 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton

Right. I was just being facetious because he was describing a type player that isn't Sabonis. I think he'll have HUGE trouble vs small ball 4's because his lateral quickness isn't great. He'll do much better against traditional 4's where he can use his strength and tenacity to overcomes for some of his athletic  and build shortcomings.
I am in full agreement with what you said Eddie.  It is a huge task for most traditional PF and centers to defend the perimeter like they are being tasked with doing.  Post defense holds a lot less importance than it used to because teams just aren't dumping it in the post anymore and even if they do you can just double and rotate.

« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2016, 07:19:35 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton

disagree.  Have you seen him actually play in games. You seen the draftexpress scouting video. His perimeter defense is good.  As good as KO I imagine. Better than Sully

and both Sully and KO (especially) have been able to hold their own and not get burned in the NBA.  I project Sabonis overall defense to be somewhere between KO and Sullinger D(mobility/strength/IQ/motor/team D/Rebounding/sprawling on the ground for loose balls)

On a side note look at Cauley Stein.  Top lateral quickness. Quicker than some guards. Explosive. But he hasn't shown he can play.  Lacks strength.  So you can have the quickest guy, most explosive,  best 3 pt shooter, if they can't put it all together and make it work, it's pointless in the end

During the combine I'm just hoping he is 6'10 without shoes. Min 6'9.    Don't really care about anything else.   
I have seen every Gonzaga game.  I am from Spokane and have sort of adopted the Celtics for the lack of the Sonics.  K.O.'s game translates beautifully to the current NBA, Sabonis just doesn't.  He is going to show pretty poorly at the combine as far as his measurements and agility and he is much more physically developed than K.O. was when he came out.  He is pretty much a finished product and his best hope is to try and fill a stretch 4 role by developing a 3 pt. shot.

« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2016, 07:29:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I have seen every Gonzaga game.  I am from Spokane and have sort of adopted the Celtics for the lack of the Sonics.  K.O.'s game translates beautifully to the current NBA, Sabonis just doesn't.  He is going to show pretty poorly at the combine as far as his measurements and agility and he is much more physically developed than K.O. was when he came out.  He is pretty much a finished product and his best hope is to try and fill a stretch 4 role by developing a 3 pt. shot.

ok your diverting away from perimeter D talk , to now talking about stretching the floor

Do you think KO perimeter D is better than Sabonis??  Sabonis is just as quick laterally if not a smidge quicker.    He runs the floor up and down very well too

Going back to stretching the floor,  the reason it is happening in today's NBA is because there is a lack of guys who can execute near the post.   

The next Shaq, Duncan, Hakeem gets drafted one by one, the NBA will go back or there will be more balance between stretching the floor and feeding the ball into the post

With this said, Sabonis is going to have fun in the post in the NBA.   I haven't seen post moves like this since Al Jefferson. I mean it's been that long.  Sabonis clearly has learned the post moves/footwork from his dad.  Sabonis also being a strong kid has 13 or 14 and 1s this season.

there is no reason if we draft Sabonis to strictly want him to stretch the floor (and again he has shot the 3 at 35 percent . Small sample but a huge improvement from 0 percent/didn't take 1 three last season).   Sullinger and KO both were given chances by CBS to execute from the post. They failed and now resort to shooting the ball.   It will be different with Domantas

« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2016, 07:33:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
and another thing Oracle, you have to be impressed by him leading Gonzaga (look at the lineup) to the sweet sixteen.  He has raised the intensity/carried the team

It won't be an easy matchup vs syracuse but Sabonis wont' go down without kicking and screaming.   I'm hoping that Gonzaga makes it through to the final 8.   The Celtics draft Sabonis or not,  or someone else picks him prior, i'm a fan