Author Topic: I can see the Celtics drafting Domantas Sabonis  (Read 70578 times)

Re: I can see the Celtics drafting Domantas Sabonis
« Reply #300 on: November 08, 2016, 09:25:25 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I wanted Sabonis, too, but I ain't hatin' on JB right now.
I would have had Sabonis over Yabusele, but I don't think that was feasible.
I understand at the time of the draft. Now? I don't know, really. It will take a couple of years for these two to sort that out.

I actually like Yabusele. He fits the mold for the prototypical 4 in today's era.

I like Sabonis, but he is also right next to the god of feeding big men on the pick and roll.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #301 on: November 08, 2016, 09:39:45 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I wanted Sabonis, too, but I ain't hatin' on JB right now.
I would have had Sabonis over Yabusele, but I don't think that was feasible.
I understand at the time of the draft. Now? I don't know, really. It will take a couple of years for these two to sort that out.

I actually like Yabusele. He fits the mold for the prototypical 4 in today's era.

I like Sabonis, but he is also right next to the god of feeding big men on the pick and roll.
I think Sabonis will ultimately be the better pro. He has an NBA skill already and appears more fundamentally sound. I don't worry much about the mold, more interested in whether a guy can play or not.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #302 on: November 10, 2016, 04:33:38 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Triboy, I'm surprised you didn't post anything following his 1 rebound in 28 minutes vs Toronto. On the season, his 4 RPG in 20 MPG is really underwhelming for a guy you described as a rebounding monster. Are you starting to see why college success doesn't really matter much? You also loved Kaminsky, but hated Myles Turner and based that solely on what they did in college.

« Reply #303 on: November 16, 2016, 03:49:15 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Just a quick update...

Sabonis has 5 total rebounds in the last 4 games spanning 97 minutes.

« Reply #304 on: November 16, 2016, 04:24:51 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Just a quick update...

Sabonis has 5 total rebounds in the last 4 games spanning 97 minutes.

He could be the NBA all time leading rebounder .

If he can play 90 years .

« Reply #305 on: November 16, 2016, 04:29:51 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Triboy, I'm surprised you didn't post anything following his 1 rebound in 28 minutes vs Toronto. On the season, his 4 RPG in 20 MPG is really underwhelming for a guy you described as a rebounding monster. Are you starting to see why college success doesn't really matter much? You also loved Kaminsky, but hated Myles Turner and based that solely on what they did in college.

Actually, the one stat that consistently transfers from college to NBA is rebounding ability.

The difference is that Sabonis played near the basket in college, but he a stretch 4 on offense and defending the perimeter on defense. Getting rebounds like that is difficult.

« Reply #306 on: November 16, 2016, 04:37:40 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Sabonis looks fine so far imo.  I think people were expecting more from him than what he is in ways.  It's that chad ford mentality and hyping  up college big men.  Sabonis is really fine though.  Kaminsky isn't half bad either.  these guys aren't cole aldrich or luke harongody.  They are potentially good nba players.

« Reply #307 on: November 16, 2016, 05:07:04 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Actually, the one stat that consistently transfers from college to NBA is rebounding ability.

The difference is that Sabonis played near the basket in college, but he a stretch 4 on offense and defending the perimeter on defense. Getting rebounds like that is difficult.

The first part is true. However, keep in mind that Sabonis was playing in the weaker WCC; his toughest opponent being St. Mary's. So that's why posting good rebound numbers vs inferior opponents was always a concern.

As for defending on the perimeter, so do all NBA 4's and the majority rebound at a much higher rate. Again, his main problem is that he can't physically outmuscle smaller opponents and is really lacking athletically.

« Reply #308 on: November 16, 2016, 05:11:41 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Sabonis looks fine so far imo.  I think people were expecting more from him than what he is in ways.  It's that chad ford mentality and hyping  up college big men.  Sabonis is really fine though.  Kaminsky isn't half bad either.  these guys aren't cole aldrich or luke harongody.  They are potentially good nba players.

now THERE'S a name I hadn't heard in awhile!
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #309 on: November 16, 2016, 05:14:08 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

I agree, but the overrating of Sabonis was the very basis of this thread.

This was the thread's author on Page 1, where he's compared to a hybrid of Draymond, KG, Oakley, and Crowder in a single post:

I'm telling you, this rebounding scare has been there since his first year.   

This kid is really strong and can move you. Imagine he gets to put full time workouts at the gym.

I think his rebounding capability will translate to the NBA (think Charles Oakley who did not have good length/not explosive at all but used his smarts , strength and was a tough customer).  Plus sly post moves and worst case has a 3 pt shot that looks promising

Going back to Sabonis though,  man his energy and passion is second to none.  Kind of like Draymond Green and KG.  As the game gets more tiring this kids energy level just keep increasing. Like our own Crowder.

« Reply #310 on: November 16, 2016, 05:41:51 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238

now THERE'S a name I hadn't heard in awhile!

I even misspelled his name it's been so long.  Harangody.  Notre Dame and Kansas though.  Two good schools.

« Reply #311 on: November 16, 2016, 08:45:39 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
How did this thread devolve into another coulda, woulda, shoulda, "I told you so" thread?

Put it right up there with the million Greek Freak threads and other moaners, but worse since the stats don't back up the assertions...at least not yet. They well may eventually, but I'll take my chances with Jaylen Brown.

« Reply #312 on: November 23, 2016, 05:13:23 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

If you're looking for a backup big who blocks shots and rebounds you could do.a.lot.worse than Cole Aldrich.

« Reply #313 on: November 26, 2016, 05:14:19 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Are people seriously trying to judge Bender right now? Isn't he the youngest player in the NBA? He's not going to be ready for prime time for at least 2 seasons. That doesn't mean he won't turn out great.

I seriously doubt he will be anywhere near people here are projecting him to be but judging him now is completely wrong. 6 months ago he was collecting DNP-CD against nobodies in Israel and now he has to adapt to the NBA style of play. Not a small change.

« Reply #314 on: November 26, 2016, 07:06:32 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Sabonis looks good out there on offense, but his defense is terrible. Every game I've watched the opponents exploit him in the pick and roll, he's just completely lost.

He shoots the 3 with confidence though which is a good sign.

He's got plenty of time to develop his defense and he's a smart kid so he should improve.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.